riddler

Using the Bible as a mousepad ...

Your statement indicates that you lack sincerity and therefore not a truth seeker. That's OK, you chose your life path.

Bullshit, I listened intently and all we ever get was moral stories about how we should be nice to each other.

I went to youth group, lured in with chocolates and sweets and played games reciting parts of the bible as part of it, i also went to chapel every week for the years i spent there. what i did like however was the big pipe organ!

The so called holy spirit had a 10 year window of opportunity to give me the divine knowledge you seem to think you have, with such a great opportunity to get me hook line and sinker lost, how is he/it ever going to get around to the billions of mohammeds out there? or do they simply not count?

Had you paid more attention in HS you would have at least learned how to spell Presbyterian.

If you read any of my posts you will know that typing is not my forte, nor is spelling or punctuation, but i suppose god only loves those that are good at typing, spelling and punctuaton?

You would also have learned that the chief end of man is to glorify God and worship Him forever.

for fucks sake give me a bucket!

The ministry of the Holy Spirit is to guide you to a closer relationship with Jesus Christ of Nazareth. That is what He has done for me.

why were you treated so kindly and not the 4 billion or so that are not christian?

once again, that holy spirit asshole, is a dooshbag!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Your statement indicates that you lack sincerity and therefore not a truth seeker. That's OK, you chose your life path.

Bullshit, I listened intently and all we ever get was moral stories about how we should be nice to each other.

Were you ever given the plan of salvation?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

The statement above is key in the Reformed Church and is actively expressed in the Presbyterian Church.

It's from the Westminster Shorter Chatechism (Question 1), but I believe it is misquoted. I believe the correct language is the chief end of man is to florify God and enjoy him forever."

Parts of the Old Testament are written in Aramaic.

Matthew appears to be written by a Hellenic Jew in Greek by somebody w/ a sophisticated understanding of that language. We don't know if any of the NT texts were originally written in Aramaic and then translated to Greek but Mark's gospel has the most basic Greek of the gospels and may well have been written by someone for whom Greek was not that native tongue. Revelation was almost assuredly written by somebody who was a native speaker of Aramaic, as the Greek in it is almost unreadable and seems to contain many semitisms. Hard to say if he wrote in in Greek or in Aramaic and then translated it.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

to be perfectly honest;

I can't remember, i do remeber the pipe organ though!

now tell me how your holy spirit plans on getting through to the mohammeds out there that have been born into a completely different story.

a crusade or something?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Well, you can tell me how many people consider that statement to be fact or how many churches use it, still won't give it any more credibility or authority with me.

Now, oddly, for an atheist, I find your use of the term "faith" to describe my attitude to be not entirely inaccurate. And although I'm not big on labelling myself or allowing myself to BE labelled, the one you used fits better than most although I'd choose rational or scientific humanist as more accurate.
And, although my "faith" is unlike religious faith in that it is based on facts proven by events in reality, in the end there is a certain degree of belief involved when choosing to put your "faith" in human potential. After all, I've got no "proof" that human beings actually have that unlimited potential besides the things we have already accomplished as a species. Still, having been to the moon and created things like the internet, the case for "unlimited human potential" is pretty strong. Its got a lot of prior evidence backing it up even if the full potential hasn't been demonstrated yet. If you want to call that "faith," fair enough. Faith can be based on facts and logic as easily as religious assertions... I have "faith" that my jeep is made well enough not to blow up at random on the highway, too. The fact that that faith is based on knowing how and why it was engineered in a certain way is irrelevant... short of deengineering the thing down to individual pieces to see for myself, I just have to take it on faith that it was built well... a faith that I'll admit is challenged somewhat every time it breaks down, which fortunately isn't very often.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

The statement above is key in the Reformed Church and is actively expressed in the Presbyterian Church.

It's from the Westminster Shorter Chatechism (Question 1), but I believe it is misquoted. I believe the correct language is the chief end of man is to florify God and enjoy him forever."

Parts of the Old Testament are written in Aramaic.

Matthew appears to be written by a Hellenic Jew in Greek by somebody w/ a sophisticated understanding of that language. We don't know if any of the NT texts were originally written in Aramaic and then translated to Greek but Mark's gospel has the most basic Greek of the gospels and may well have been written by someone for whom Greek was not that native tongue. Revelation was almost assuredly written by somebody who was a native speaker of Aramaic, as the Greek in it is almost unreadable and seems to contain many semitisms. Hard to say if he wrote in in Greek or in Aramaic and then translated it.

Thank you. You stated the quotation correctly.

I am trying to find the reference for the NT written in Greek. Does it have to do with the Nicene Conference ordered by Constantine?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

What reference?

All the earliest existent manuscripts we have of the New Testament are in Greek. I don't think there is really any dipute that it was, as best we can tell, the original language of composition or at least of circulation. Don't think it has anything to do w/ Council of Nicea.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

to be perfectly honest;

I can't remember, i do remeber the pipe organ though!

Would you like for me to present it to you now?

now tell me how your holy spirit plans on getting through to the mohammeds out there that have been born into a completely different story.

a crusade or something?

I would say the same way we will win the war on drugs. That is, one life at a time through 1:1 counseling.

(edited for typo)

What reference?

All the earliest existent manuscripts we have of the New Testament are in Greek. I don't think there is really any dipute that it was, as best we can tell, the original language of composition or at least of circulation. Don't think it has anything to do w/ Council of Nicea.

I guess that is the final answer. I thought that someone back in past had explained a specific reason why Greek was the chosen language for the NT manuscripts.

The correct answer is, Greek was the common language of time.

If you are a sincere seeker of truth pick any translation and ask the Holy Spirit to guide you.

The holy spirit is an asshole, he didn't guide me through shit in high school(presbetarian), i was open to suggestion back then.

I have since become agnostic.

How exactly did the holy spirit guide you?

enlighten us.

The Holy Spirit is truth. You are a sinner, I am a sinner, and love is greater than sin. All a man can do is follow his heart.
"We didn't start the fire"

Here's a very good link for the documentary about the "evolution" of the Bible.

The word of God is amazing. It's infallible, absolute, and changes whenever it feels like it. Just like a few women I've dated.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD