FallloutboyDAoC

Is humanity meant to survive?

However, being as there is no evidence of such a plan it is probably more accurate to say we will survive, or not - without it really meaning anything.

If your gonna go for objective accuracy, you should at least say "It is probably more accurate to say we will survive, or not- with or without it meaning anything."

Your giving more testimony showing that people who dont believe in God also do not believe there is meaning to life. A conversation that we have been having quite a bit of on these forums. Now, billvon will come on here and say that is not true... that there are Atheistic minds who do believe there is a meaning to/for life, but that is hardly ever the case when I speak with an actual atheist.

Wow. it is so rare that I agree with anything you say. I give my life it's own meaning. If I am skillful I can extend the meaning a little past my death, but that is it. It's kind of like football. The games tonight are very meaningful within the context of the season, but once the Superbowl is played the meaningfulness pretty much ends.

Edited to add: I realize you don't think that way, but as an atheist I do.

It's kind of like football. The games tonight are very meaningful within the context of the season, but once the Superbowl is played the meaningfulness pretty much ends. Edited to add: I realize you don't think that way, but as an atheist I do.

Like I said earlier, I like provoked thought. You read the stuff I write, (I wish I could say it quicker) so imagine the stuff I think. I dont push provoked thought away, like many may assume, I think as deeply and as accurately as I can. What I have found is Jesus is the truth, so I dont expect everyone to understand, or even appreciate me as a thinker... but I do understand many of the analogys and explanations used by others who do not believe the same things.

Your analogy makes perfect sense to me, I just dont see life as a the superbowl... more like the game itself. Its sort of like skydiving. All of us know that we have to stop at some point, and when that point comes, either we will feel satisfied or left wanting. The search is not for victory or defeat, but for content in either circumstance.

I believe that satisfaction can better be filled in the hunger itself rather than in actual fulfillment. The whole "its better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all" thing.

Plus, I actually enjoy the deeper conversations more than I do casual small talk. Ever notice how much more enjoyable it is to talk about skydiving to people who "understand and appreciate" it rather than to those who just want you to shut up?
"We didn't start the fire"

Changed the title to remove any "supernatural" implications. I believe in God, but I also believe He gave us free will and our choices have consequences.

I think we are headed for a large-scale repeat of Easter Island. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2309582 They ruined their local ecology with short-sighted behaviors. They went through a severe depopulation event.
Whether from global warming, pollution, overpopulation, oil depletion or something else, current society is heading in the same direction.

We have created an unsustainable culture. It will have to crash at some point. And as is so often true: the longer the wait, the heavier the weight.

We are likely to see a collapse of society, mass die-offs and a world not unlike "The Road Warrior" "The Road" or "The Postman" (horrible, horrible movie, but take away Kevin Costner and the level of civlization depicted wasn't too far off what might happen).

Human beings will survive. We're far too adaptable and intelligent not to. Pre-industrial, man had taken root in all areas of the planet that are inhabited now. Including the Arctic.

But there is a very ugly time approaching. It's avoidable, but I don't see humans being smart enough to thnk long-term and make the hard decisions that would be required.
The US govt can't even fix Social Security.:S

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo