captain1976

DeLand in the news

Another excuse for useless spending. I both fly and jump there and there is no way in hell that DeLand needs a control tower.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/index.htm

Being in the General Aviation business for many years, I've seen this kind of crap before: Local officials (generally dysfunctional Civil Servants that can't get a real job), in a ridiculous attempt to attract corporate jets (It never works).

They also use the safety excuse but the bottom line is that they usually chase more business away than they create.

Though I don't see a control tower disrupting the operation to any significance, what a waste of millions of dollars for an airport that truly doesn't need it. >:(
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

I took a look at the plans for the tower and other upgrades they have planned. It looks like they want to add a terminal and all kinds of crap. Grow it into an airport that caters to private jets flying into and out of the area. Could bring in lots of money into the area, but it could also slowly start driving out the skydivers.

I wonder if any of the stimulus money is paying for this. Its smells of swine or pork.:D

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

KDED is marginally busier than KIGQ where I'm based; we have no tower either, but we have a bunch of corporate jets.

The key to getting jets is not a tower, but proximity to where the jets' owners want to go.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I took a look at the plans for the tower and other upgrades they have planned. It looks like they want to add a terminal and all kinds of crap. Grow it into an airport that caters to private jets flying into and out of the area. Could bring in lots of money into the area, but it could also slowly start driving out the skydivers.

I wonder if any of the stimulus money is paying for this. Its smells of swine or pork.:D

They tried that in Ft. Pierce Florida a few years ago, I could have told them it wouldn't work.

Corporate Jets go where the industry is, and there ain't any in DeLand. They also go where the beaches are, ain't any of those either and I wouldn't consider it a vacation spot.

Just useless spending by useless people.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

They tried that in Ft. Pierce Florida a few years ago, I could have told them it wouldn't work.

who would go to Ft Pierce unless they have to? I work there, it's the arm pit of florida :P

Yes, can you imaging the idiots in the city and county government who succeeded in convincing each other of all the jets that would come to that shithole if they modernized the airport and put in a tower?

What a bunch of morons. Just look at the demographics of that town. I wouldn't drive through there unless I'm armed.

This almost Always, spells death to a DZ...

Skyrider, I really dont think it spells death, but it may slow down a few loads until the pilots and controllers get used to the change. I find most controllers very accommodating.

What my main bitch is that all this money wasted for nothing.

who would go to Ft Pierce unless they have to? I work there, it's the arm pit of florida :P

Yes, can you imaging the idiots in the city and county government who succeeded in convincing each other of all the jets that would come to that shithole if they modernized the airport and put in a tower?

What a bunch of morons. Just look at the demographics of that town. I wouldn't drive through there unless I'm armed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Pierce,_Florida#Demographics

As of the census[1] of 2008, there were 41,000 people residing in the city. The population density was2,212.4/sq mi (697.3/km²) . The racial makeup of the city was 49.54% White, 40.85% African American, 0.33% Native American, 0.79% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 5.36% from other races, and 3.05% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 15.00% of the population.

The median income for a household in the city was $25,121, and the median income for a family was $29,458. Males had a median income of $21,274 versus $20,012 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,345. About 25.4% of families and 30.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 45.1% of those under age 18 and 17.5% of those age 65 or over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Pierce,_Florida#Demographics

As of the census[1] of 2008, there were 41,000 people residing in the city. The population density was2,212.4/sq mi (697.3/km²) . The racial makeup of the city was 49.54% White, 40.85% African American, 0.33% Native American, 0.79% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 5.36% from other races, and 3.05% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 15.00% of the population.

The median income for a household in the city was $25,121, and the median income for a family was $29,458. Males had a median income of $21,274 versus $20,012 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,345. About 25.4% of families and 30.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 45.1% of those under age 18 and 17.5% of those age 65 or over.

Oh, prosperous place, then.:|\

Deland doesn't look a whole lot better:

The median income for a household in the city was $28,712, and the median income for a family was $35,329. Males had a median income of $26,389 versus $20,114 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,936. About 14.2% of families and 19.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 31.3% of those under age 18 and 8.7% of those age 65 or over.

About 25 years ago, the city was about to do something that everyone knew was a bad idia. At the city council meeting, Gary Dupiuis said to them, (and this is an accurate, direct quote), "I want to know which one of you motherfuckers are taking money under the table." That questiong has yet to be answered.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Well, yeah; but DeLand is 74.96% Caucasian, whereas Ft. Pierce has all those, you know ... others.

Or, it could be that Ft. Pierce has 547% more violent crime than Deland (2003 numbers, from cityrating.com) and you're just throwing the race card, as usual.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Well, the term originally used to characterize Ft. Pierce was "demographics" which has to do with characteristics of the population, and doesn't include crime rate. I'd've inferred the same thing.

Deland vs Ft. Pierce shows Ft. Pierce having about twice the violent crime rate per capita according to Neighborhood Scout (the first one to show up on Google that had specific numbers). Dividing raw numbers gets us about a 350% increase, but that's hardly fair -- per capita is a much better indicator. You can torture the data in cityrating to get the number you gave only by using the raw numbers. Frankly, if you did that, I'd say that Houston is a worse place to live than Pasadena, too.

It's pretty clear that Ft. Pierce has a significantly higher crime rate than Deland. But let's let the crime rate speak for itself honestly, rather than trying to pump it up.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Cityrating said 'crime rate' under it's graphic. I took it at it's word.

It also gave the numbers under the graphic which made it abundantly clear what was represented. You've done that before, with FBI UCR data that you misinterpreted.

You need to pay more attention.:P

Well, yeah; but DeLand is 74.96% Caucasian, whereas Ft. Pierce has all those, you know ... others.

Deland's numbers may be pulled downward by all the full time jumpers. The gap for the rest may be wider than reported.