mikkey

Climategate: the final nail in the coffin of 'Anthropogenic Global Warming'?

What is your interest in stating that the data should be inaccessible? What are you interested in defending? I'm asking this to get your perspective.

Data shouldn't be inaccessible, but neither should it be available on demand until the researchers have analyzed it, verified it and are ready to present it. Do you make all your firm's working documents available on demand to anyone that wants to see them?

So they have not yet had time to do all this to 10 old data?

[:/]

It took years of analysis on data from the Fermilab Tevatron to find the top quark. My PhD thesis research took months of data analysis, and that was a tiny amount of data compared with this stuff. I see no reason that this should be much different.

Your posts nicely illustrate your total ignorance of the way science works.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

What is your interest in stating that the data should be inaccessible? What are you interested in defending? I'm asking this to get your perspective.

Data shouldn't be inaccessible, but neither should it be available on demand until the researchers have analyzed it, verified it and are ready to present it. Do you make all your firm's working documents available on demand to anyone that wants to see them?

So they have not yet had time to do all this to 10 old data?

[:/]

It took years of analysis on data from the Fermilab Tevatron to find the top quark. My PhD thesis research took months of data analysis, and that was a tiny amount of data compared with this stuff. I see no reason that this should be much different.

Your posts nicely illustrate your total ignorance of the way science works.

Ah, guess we will never know since they dumped the data years ago after they fudged it to form a forgone conclusion

Could it be it was more an illistration of dishonesty?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

From Dr Spencers Blog (Dec 13th)

http://www.drroyspencer.com/

His supporting graphs and plots are on the site.

Hey kallend, here is your climate scientist denier

Cloud Feedback Presentation for Fall 2009 AGU Meeting
December 13th, 2009
I decided to make my invited presentation on estimating cloud feedbacks from satellite measurements available here in Pdf form: Spencer-Forcing-Feedback-AGU-09-San-Francisco. While it is a draft version, I doubt that the final version will be significantly different. There will be a UAH press release on the day of presentation, December 16.

Posted in Blog Article | Comments Off

Geomagnetic Forcing of Earth’s Cloud Cover During 2000-2008?
December 10th, 2009
I’ll admit to being a skeptic when it comes to other skeptics’ opinions on the potential effects of sunspot activity on climate. Oh, it’s all very possible I suppose, but I’ve always said I’ll start believing it when someone shows a quantitative connection between variations in global cloud cover (not temperature) and geomagnetic activity.

Maybe my skepticism is because I never took astronomy in college (oops…my wife reminds me I took it 1st year). Or, maybe it’s because I can’t see or feel cosmic rays. They sound kind of New Age to me. After all, I can see sunlight, and I can feel infrared radiation…but cosmic rays? Some might say, “Well, Roy, you work with satellite microwave data, and you can‘t see or feel those either!” True, but I DO have a microwave oven in my kitchen…where’s your cosmic ray oven?

Now…where was I? Oh, yeah. So, since I’ve been working with 9 years of global reflected sunlight data from the CERES instrument flying on NASA’s Terra satellite, last night I decided to take a look at some data for myself.

The results, I will admit, are at least a little intriguing.

The following plots show detrended time series of monthly running 5-month averages of (top) CERES reflected shortwave deviations from the average seasonal cycle, and (bottom) monthly running geomagnetic Ap index values from the NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center. As I understand it, the Ap index is believed to be related to the level of cosmic ray activity reaching the Earth. (I will address the reason for detrending below).

Note that there is some similarity between the two plots. If we do a scatterplot of the data (below), we get an average linear relationship of about 0.05 W per sq. meter increase in reflected sunlight per 1 unit decrease in Ap index. This is at least qualitatively consistent with a decrease in solar activity corresponding to an increase in cloud cover.
(I’ve also shown a 2nd order polynomial fit (curved line) in the above plot for those who think they see a nonlinear relationship there.)

But just how big is this linear relationship seen in the above scatterplot? From looking at a 70-year plot of Ap data (originally from David Archibald), we see that the 11-year sunspot cycle modulates the Ap index by at least 10 units. Also, there are fairly routine variations on monthly and seasonal time scales of about 10 Ap units, too (click on image to see full-size):

When the 10 Ap unit variations are multiplied by the 0.05 scale factor, it suggests about a 0.5 W per sq. meter modulation of global reflected sunlight during the 11 year solar cycle (as well as in monthly and yearly variations of geomagnetic activity). I calculate that this is a factor of 10 greater than the change in reflected sunlight that results from the 0.1% modulation of the total solar irradiance during the solar cycle.

At face value, that would mean the geomagnetic modulation of cloudiness has about 10 times the effect on the amount of sunlight absorbed by the Earth as does the solar cycle’s direct modulation of the sun’s output. It also rivals the level of forcing due to anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions, but with way more variability from year to year and decade to decade. (Can anyone say, “natural climate variability”?)

Now, returning to the detrending of the data. The trend relationship between CERES reflected sunlight and the Ap index is of the opposite sign to that seen above. This suggests that the trend in geomagnetic activity during 2000-2008 can not explain the trend in global reflected sunlight over the same period of time. However, the ratio of the trends is very small: +0.004 Watts per sq. meter per unit Ap index, rather than -0.045. So, one can always claim that some other natural change in cloud cover is overpowering the geomagnetic modulation of cloudiness. With all kinds of climate forcings all mingled in together, it would be reasonable to expect a certain signal to emerge more clearly during some periods, and less clearly during other periods.

I also did lag correlation plots of the data (not shown), and there is no obvious lag in the correlation relationship.

All of this, of course, assumes that the observed relationship during 2000-2008 is not just by chance. There is considerable autocorrelation in the reflected sunlight and geomagnetic data, which I have made even worse by computing monthly running 5-month averages (the correlation strengths increased with averaging time). So, there are relatively few degrees of freedom in the data collected during 2000-2008, which increases the probability of getting a spurious relationship just by chance.

All of the above was done in a few hours, so it is far from definitive. But it IS enough for me to keep an open mind on the subject of solar activity affecting climate variations. As usual, I’m just poking around in the data and trying to learn something…while also stirring up some discussion (to be enjoyed on other blogs) along the way.

UPDATE (12:30 p.m. 10 December 2009)
There is a question on how other solar indices compare to the CERES reflected sunlight measurements. The following lag correlation chart shows a few of them. I’m open to suggestions on what any of it might mean.

Global Warming Skepticism 101
December 9th, 2009
(last updated 9:05 a.m. 9 December 2009).

I get so many questions from readers about a variety of global warming issues that I thought I would whip up some Q&A for those who want to understand the views of skeptics a little better. I will try to update these with links and additional answers as time permits.

Climate science is complex and the study of it is highly specialized. Nevertheless, there is a common theme that runs through the claims of the global warming establishment, from Al Gore’s movie An Inconvenient Truth, to the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC): Weather and climate events that happen naturally are being increasingly blamed on the activities of humans. So, causation is at the root of most beliefs about global warming and climate change.

As one digs further into the science, the direction of causation also emerges as a key theme, and it is one that can totally change the degree to which it appears humans affect the climate system. In my own area of research I have found that mixing up cause and effect when examining how cloud cover varies with temperature has greatly misled the scientific establishment regarding how sensitive the climate system is to our addition of greenhouse gases to the atmosphere.

Not all skeptics believe the same things, though, so some skeptics will object to some of what I have listed below. These represent my opinions, not all of which are necessarily ascribed to by other skeptics. Additional details on many of these issues can be found throughout this website, including a Q&A list I published on April 19, 2009.

The following list, in no particular order, are my responses to common claims and accusations about global warming skeptics. If other scientists or laypersons want me to add to the list, or want to argue for changes, email me and I will update it as appropriate. Please be sure to check back for the latest update (posted above).

1. Skeptics deny global warming. No, we deny that warming has been mostly human-caused.

2. Skeptics are paid by big oil. The vast majority of skeptics have never been paid anything by Big Oil (me included).

3. Skeptics don’t publish in the peer reviewed literature. Wrong…but it is true we do not have nearly as many publications as the other side does. But it only takes one scientific study to destroy a scientific hypothesis, which is what anthropogenic global warming theory is.

4. Skeptics are not unified with an alternative explanation for global warming. Well, that’s the way science works in a field as immature as climate change science. The biggest problem is that we really don’t understand what causes natural climate variability. Kevin Trenberth has now famously admitted as much in one of the Climategate emails, where said it’s a “travesty” that we don’t know why warming has stopped in the last 7 to 10 years. For century-time-scale changes, some believe it is cloud cover being modulated by cosmic ray activity, which is in turn affected by sunspot activity. A few others think it is changes in the total energy output of the sun (possible, but I personally doubt it). In my opinion, it is internal, chaotic variability in the ocean and atmosphere circulation causing small changes in cloud cover. Since clouds are a natural sunshade, changing their coverage of the Earth will cause warming or cooling. The IPCC simply assumes this does not happen. If they did, they would have to admit that natural climate change happens, which means they would have to address the possibility that most of the warming in the last 50 has been largely natural in origin.

5. But the glaciers are melting! Many glaciers which have been monitored around the world for a long time have been retreating since the 1800’s, before humans could have been responsible. A few retreating glaciers are even revealing old tree stumps…how did those get there? Planted by skeptics?

6. But the sea ice is melting! Well, the same thing happened back in the 1920’s and 1930’s, with the Northwest Passage opening up in 1940. It was just as warm, or nearly as warm, in the Arctic in the 1930’s. Again, this is before humans could be blamed. There were very low water levels in the Great Lakes in the 1920’s too, just as has happened recently. We have accurate measurements of sea ice cover from satellites only since 1979, so there is no way to really know whether sea ice cover is less than it was before.

7. But we just had the warmest decade in recorded history! Well, if thermometer measurements had started in, say 200, AD (rather than in the 1800’s), and it was now 850 AD, the same thing might well have been said back then. The climate system is always warming or cooling, and the Industrial Revolution (and thus our carbon dioxide emissions) just happened to occur while we were still emerging from the Little Ice Age…a warming period.

8. But the Antarctic ice shelves are collapsing! Well, sea ice around Antarctica has been expanding since we started monitoring by satellite in 1979….so which do we use as evidence? There is no convincing evidence of warming in Antarctica, except in the relatively small Antarctic Peninsula, which juts out into the ocean. Just as glaciers naturally flow to the sea, ice shelves must eventually break off. It is very uncertain how often this happens through the centuries, and what has been observed in recent years might be entirely normal. Similarly, it was warmer in Greenland in the 1930’s than it has been more recently.

9. But the sea levels are rising! Yes, and from what we can tell, they have been rising since the end of the last Ice Age. Again, the more recent rise might be just a consequence of our emergence from the Little Ice Age, which bottomed out in the 1600’s.

10. But we keep emitting carbon dioxide, which we know is a greenhouse gas! Yes, I agree. But the direct warming effect of moré CO2 is agreed by all to be small…and I predict that when we better understand how clouds change in response to that small warming influence, the net warming in response to more CO2 will be smaller still. This is the “feedback” issue, which determines “climate sensitivity”, the area of research I spend most of my time on. I and a minority of other scientists believe the net feedbacks in the climate system are negative, probably driven by negative cloud feedback. In contrast, all twenty-something IPCC climate models now exhibit positive cloud feedback.

11. But we can’t keep pumping CO2 into the atmosphere forever! No, and we won’t. Assuming fossil fuels will be increasingly difficult to find and access in the coming decades, the continuing demand for energy ensures that new energy technologies will be developed. It’s what humans do…adapt.

12. But we shouldn’t be interfering with nature! Actually, it would be impossible to NOT interfere with nature. Chaos theory tells us that everything that happens, naturally or anthropogenically, forever alters the future state of the climate system. I predict that science will eventually understand that more CO2 is good for life on Earth. This doesn’t mean it will be good for every single species…but when Mother Nature changes the climate system, there are always winners and losers anyway. In the end, this is a religious issue, not a scientific one. Interestingly I have found that the vast majority of scientists also have the religious belief that we should not be impacting nature. I believe this has negatively affected their scientific objectivity.

What If Climategate was Cancergate?
December 6th, 2009
Senator Barbara Boxer has said that the e-mails supposedly stolen from a computer at the Climatic Research Unit in the UK should lead to prosecution of the hacker who did it. This rather obvious attempt to divert attention from the content of the emails, to the manner in which the e-mails were obtained, led my wife to make an interesting observation.

What if the intercepted emails uncovered medical researchers discussing the fudging and hiding of cancer research data, and trying to interfere with the peer review process to prevent other medical researchers from getting published? There would be outrage from all across the political spectrum. Scientists behaving badly while the health of people was at stake would not be defended by anyone.

So why should it be any different with Climategate? Unnecessary restrictions on (or price increases for) energy use could needlessly kill millions of people who are already poverty stricken. Cancer research affects many of us, but energy costs affect ALL of us.

Can Global Warming Predictions be Tested with Observations of the Real Climate System?
December 6th, 2009
In a little over a week I will be giving an invited paper at the Fall meeting of the American Geophysical Union (AGU) in San Francisco, in a special session devoted to feedbacks in the climate system. If you don’t already know, feedbacks are what will determine whether anthropogenic global warming is strong or weak, with cloud feedbacks being the most uncertain of all.

In the 12 minutes I have for my presentation, I hope to convince as many scientists as possible the futility of previous attempts to estimate cloud feedbacks in the climate system. And unless we can measure cloud feedbacks in nature, we can not test the feedbacks operating in computerized climate models.

WHAT ARE FEEDBACKS?

To review, the main feedback issue is this: In response to the small direct warming effect of more CO2 in the atmosphere, will clouds change in ways that amplify the warming (e.g. a cloud reduction letting more sunlight in, which would be a positive feedback), or decrease the warming (e.g. a cloud increase causing less sunlight to be absorbed by the Earth, which would be a negative feedback)?

In the former case, we could be heading for a global warming catastrophe. In the latter case, manmade global warming might be barely measurable (and previous warming would be mostly the result of some natural cause). All climate models tracked by the IPCC now have positive cloud feedbacks, by varying amounts, which partly explains why the IPCC expects anthropogenic global warming to be so strong.

Obviously, we need to know what feedbacks operate in the climate system.

ESTIMATING FEEDBACKS: AN UNSOLVED PROBLEM

I am now quite convinced that most, if not all, previous estimates of feedback from our satellite observations of natural climate variability are in error. Furthermore, this error is usually in the direction of positive feedback, which will then give the illusion of a ‘sensitive’ climate system. More on that later.

The goal seems simple enough: to measure cloud feedbacks, we need to determine how much clouds change in response to a temperature change. But most researchers do not realize that this is not possible without accounting for causation in the opposite direction, i.e., the extent to which temperature changes are a response to cloud changes.

As I will demonstrate in my AGU talk on December 16, for all practical purposes it is not possible (at least not yet) to measure cloud feedbacks because the two directions of causation are intermingled in nature. As a result, it is not possible with current methods to measure feedbacks in response to a radiative forcing event such as a change in cloud cover, or even a major volcanic eruption, such as that from the 1991 eruption of Mt. Pinatubo.

The reason is that the size of the radiative forcing of a temperature change overwhelms the size of the radiative feedback upon that temperature change, and our satellite measurements can not tell the difference. There are only two special situations where it can be done: (1) the theoretical case of an instantaneously imposed, and then constant amount of radiative forcing…which never happens in the real world; and (2) the real world case where temperature changes are caused non-radiatively. While I will not go into the evidence here, satellite observations suggest that cloud feedbacks in the latter case are strongly negative.

Now, if you have an accurate estimate of the radiative forcing of temperature change, accurate estimates of radiative feedback can be made. But we do not have good estimates of this forcing during natural climate variations. Only in climate model simulations where a known amount of radiative forcing is imposed upon the model can this be done. (In another method, if you try to estimate feedback by measuring how fast the ocean responds, you also run into problems because your answer depends upon how fast and how deep in the ocean you assume the temperature change will extend.)

EXAMPLE 1: FEEDBACKS FROM THE CHANGE IN SEASONS

Once one realizes that clouds causing a temperature change (forcing) corrupts our estimates of temperature causing a cloud change (feedback), it becomes apparent that many of the previous attempts to estimate feedback will not work.

For instance, many researchers think that you can estimate feedbacks from the seasonal cycle in average solar illumination of the Earth and the resulting temperature response. There is about a 7% peak-to-peak variation in the amount of solar energy reaching the Earth during the year, with a maximum occurring in March and September, and the minimum in June. So, one would think we could measure by how much this change in solar heating causes a change in temperature.

The trouble is that global circulation patterns also change dramatically with the seasons, mostly due to the large difference in land masses between the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. Since cloud formation is affected by a variety of circulation induced effects (fronts, temperature inversions, etc.), the cloud cover and thus the natural shading of the Earth by clouds also changes with the seasons, through these seasonal circulation changes.

These non-temperature effects on cloud cover will confound the estimation of feedbacks, because their magnitude is considerably larger than the magnitude of the feedbacks. If the Earth was 100% covered by ocean that had a constant depth everywhere, then it might be possible to estimate feedbacks in this way…but not in the real world.

EXAMPLE 2: FEEDBACKS FROM EL NINO & LA NINA

Researchers have also made feedback estimates from the anomalously warm conditions that exist during El Nino, and the cool conditions during La Nina. But this runs into a similar problem as estimating feedbacks from the change in seasons: there are substantial variations in global circulation patterns between El Nino and La Nina, especially in the tropics. These circulation changes can induce cloud changes – wholly apart from temperature-induced changes – and there is no known way to separate the circulation-induced cloud changes (forcing) from the feedback-induced changes.

THE ERRORS WHICH RESULT FROM PREVIOUS FEEDBACK ESTIMATES

So, how do these problems impact our estimates of feedback? Except under certain circumstances, they will always cause a bias toward positive feedback. The reason is that radiative forcing and radiative feedback always work in opposition to each other. (Here I am speaking of the net feedback parameter, which also contains the increase in loss of infrared radiation by the Earth in direct response to warming).

Since our satellites measure the two effects combined, if you assume only feedback is being measured when both feedback and forcing are occurring, then you will underestimate the feedback parameter, which is a bias in the direction of positive feedback.

THE IMPACT ON CLIMATE MODEL VALIDATION

I can predict that the climate modelers will claim that we really do not need to know the direction of causation…we can just measure the temperature/cloud relationships in nature, and then adjust the models until they produce the same temperature/cloud relationships.

While this might sound reasonable, it turns out that the radiative signature of forcing is much larger than that of feedback. As a result, one can get pretty good agreement between models and observations even when the model feedbacks are greatly in error. Another way of saying this is that you can get good agreement between the model behavior and observations whether the cloud feedbacks are positive OR negative. This is another fact I will be demonstrating on December 16.

WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?

My first task is to convince both observationalists and modelers that much of what they previously believed about atmospheric feedbacks operating in the real world can be tossed out the window. Obviously, this will be no small task when so many climate experts assume that nothing important could have been overlooked after 20 years and billions of dollars of climate research.

But even if I can get a number of mainstream climate scientists to understand that we still do not know whether cloud feedbacks are positive or negative, it is not obvious how to fix the problem. As I suggested a couple of blog postings ago, maybe we should quit trying to test whether a climate model that produces 3 deg. C of warming in response to a doubling of carbon dioxide is “true”, and instead test to see if we can falsify a climate model which only produces 0.5 deg. C of warming. As someone recently pointed out in an email to me, a climate model IS a hypothesis, and in science a hypothesis can only be falsified — not proved true.

From what I have seen from my analysis of output from 18 of the IPCC’s climate models, I’ll bet that we can not falsify such a model with our current observations of the climate system. I suspect that the climate modeling groups have only publicized models that produce the amount of warming they believe “looks about right”, or “looks reasonable”. Through group-think (or maybe the political leanings of, and pressure from, the IPCC leadership?), they might well have tossed out any model experiments which produced very little warming.

In any event, I believe that the scientific community’s confidence that climate change is now mostly human-caused is seriously misplaced. It is time for an independent review of climate modeling, with experts from other physical (and even engineering) disciplines where computer models are widely used. The importance of the issue demands nothing less.

Furthermore, the computer codes for the climate models now being used by the IPCC should be made available to other researchers for independent testing and experimentation. The Data Quality Act for U.S.-supported models already requires this, but this law is being largely ignored.

As a (simple) modeler and computer programmer myself, I know that the modeling groups will protest that the models are far too complex and finely tuned to let amateurs play with them. But that’s part of the problem. If the models are that complex and fragile, should we be basing multi-trillion dollar policy decisions on them?

How Climategate Ranks in a Media Interest Index
December 5th, 2009
The lack of coverage of Climategate by the mainstream news media over the last 2 weeks has been breathtaking. Richard North at the EUReferendum blog advanced a way to measure media bias of this kind with what he calls his “Tiger Woods Index”, where he compares the number of Google search web matches to Google search news matches. The idea is that if the media are avoiding an issue, then the number of news matches relative to web matches will decrease. If the media are overly obsessed with an issue compared to what the public is discussing on web pages, then the number of Google search news matches will increase relative to the number of web matches.

I decided to play around with this idea with searches on several names and phrases of my own. Since “media bias” is such an ugly phrase, I will characterize the resulting statistics as a Media Interest Index. I found that for issues where the news media seems to have about the same level of interest as the public, the ratio of web page matches to news page matches was somewhere in the range of 500 to 1,000.

By using a totally scientific process (since I’m a scientist) to compare the media’s interest to the public’s interest, I decided that a ratio of 1,000 would represent equal media and public interest. Please do not ask for the data I used, since I will either hide it or delete it before I give it up.

The Media Interest Index is then 1,000 times the number of news matches divided by the number of web matches. The result is 1 for equal interest between the media and the public. A value of 2 would mean the news media are “twice” as interested as the public. A value of 0.5 would mean that the media are only half as interested as the public.

See? Totally scientific.

The following chart shows the results for Google searches on several words, phrases, and names. The phrase “health care reform” is of great interest to both the media and the public, and we see a Media Interest Index value of 1.27, indicating roughly equal interest between the media and the public.

On this scale, “Climategate” has a MII of only 0.14, suggesting much less interest (about one-seventh) from the media than from the public in general. Of course, some news outlets, especially those in the UK and FoxNews, have been providing heavy coverage, so the low value is being dragged down by some other news organizations.

Similarly, the phrase “media bias” has an MII value of 0.2, indicating the rather obvious fact that the media are reluctant to do news stories on “media bias”, an issue that is of considerable interest at many non-news websites.

But there are even bigger extremes to be seen in the above chart. For instance, there seems to be a disproportionate interest of the media in “Obama”, with an MII value of 6.5. Even that, however, is not as interesting to the media as “Bush’s gaffe”, with an index value over 27!

And while “Obama” has a disproportionately large interest from the media, the interest in “Obama’s gaffe” is disproportionately small, with an MII value of only 0.01! Thus, the media seems to be about 2,000 times more interested in gaffes uttered by Bush than those uttered by Obama. Similarly, comparing the media’s interest in “global warming” to their interest in “Climategate”, the ratio of those two MII values approaches 30.

For any social scientists, pollsters, or political pundits who might object to the above analysis and would like to vent, you can contact me at [email protected].
This research was not supported by any coal or oil company…but I wish it was.

Climategate II: Revenge of the Climate Modelers
December 4th, 2009
It has been two weeks since Climategate revealed that some of the IPCC’s leading researchers have conspired to manipulate temperature data, hide data from other researchers, and bully those scientists who do not agree with them by interfering with the peer review process.

(If you haven’t heard about Climategate, it might be because you are still watching ABC, CBS, or NBC. Google ‘Climategate’, though, and you will get 20,000,000 to 30,000,000 web page matches.)

Supporters have claimed that there is nothing to see there…that the Climategate e-mails released to the world by a whistleblower just show how scientists normally work. This is a particularly bad strategy, and the public knows it. Scientists do NOT behave this way…at least not in my world.

Others have claimed that a few bad apples do not spoil the whole IPCC barrel. Well, if it wasn’t for the fact that these are the core people who gave us the primary thermometer evidence of 20th Century warming (Phil Jones), and the Hockey Stick temperature reconstruction which conveniently did away with the previous 10 or more centuries of natural climate change (Michael Mann), I might be inclined to agree with them.

I will admit that it seems unlikely (but not impossible) that a reanalysis of the thermometer data will lead to a much reduced rate of warming in recent decades. But my bigger concern is that the “it’s-OK-to-fudge” attitude pervades the entire IPCC apparatus.

These e-mails are from the observational side of the IPCC, that is, the research into temperature observations of the past. What I am more concerned about, though, is the manipulation of climate models, which are used to predict the future state of the climate system. Computer models are much easier to manipulate than real data, and one can get just about any answer one wants out of them.

Now that we have seen that the temperature observation guys ‘wanted’ to get a certain result, it is reasonable to wonder whether the modelers are also incentivized to produce particular results. I’m sure the hundreds of millions of dollars being poured into global warming research – money that would dry up if the threat evaporated — has not influenced their objectivity.

Now, trillions of dollars in global warming legislation are riding upon these model ‘black boxes’ that relatively few people understand the inner workings of. The models are so complex, with many adjustable parameters which have no known true values, that it is unlikely that they can ever be replicated by other researchers. In case you hadn’t heard, reproducibility is a basic requirement of scientific research.

The IPCC has gotten around this problem by relying upon many modeling groups running different climate models. The presumption is that the full range of warming estimates produced by 20 different climate models would surely bound the ‘truth’, that is, the true amount of warming that will occur for a given amount of additional greenhouse gas emissions. But do these models really bound the problem?

I’ve been reminded recently that in science you really can not prove any hypothesis to be true; you can only prove a hypothesis false. How does this help us when it comes to model predictions of future warming? Well, if we can not prove whether a model that produces 2, or 4, or 6 deg. C of warming is correct…can we prove whether a model that produces only 0.5 deg. C of warming is false?

If we build a model that produces very little warming – less than that produced by any of the IPCC models – is that model any less realistic in its behavior than the models that produce a lot of warming? In other words, how do we know that the IPCC models really do bound the problem? I suspect that one or more modeling groups have already done this, but the IPCC leadership probably nixed the idea of letting the public find out about it.

Maybe there is a disgruntled modeler out there who is now willing to spill the beans, just as happened with the Climategate emails. We can call it Climategate II.

Of course, the IPCC turns the argument around, and shows us a few models which produce huge amounts of warming. But as I’ve said before, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. If a couple of their models suggest it is theoretically possible to have catastrophic warming, should I be any more concerned than, say, the possibility that a new particle accelerator used by nuclear physicists will suddenly cause the Earth to explode?

While it would be easy to simply not build or use the particle accelerator, it is much more difficult to reduce global fossil fuel use by, say, 50% or more.

In the wake of Climategate, I fully expect a renewed IPCC assault on our common sense using the climate models as their ultimate climate ‘truth’. It will be claimed that the observations involved in Climategate aren’t important anyway…it’s the computer models that are telling us what the future will be.

Yeah, right.

November 2009 UAH Global Temperature Update +0.50 deg. C
December 2nd, 2009

YR MON GLOBE NH SH TROPICS
2009 1 +0.304 +0.443 +0.165 -0.036
2009 2 +0.347 +0.678 +0.016 +0.051
2009 3 +0.206 +0.310 +0.103 -0.149
2009 4 +0.090 +0.124 +0.056 -0.014
2009 5 +0.045 +0.046 +0.044 -0.166
2009 6 +0.003 +0.031 -0.025 -0.003
2009 7 +0.411 +0.212 +0.610 +0.427
2009 8 +0.229 +0.282 +0.177 +0.456
2009 9 +0.422 +0.549 +0.294 +0.511
2009 10 +0.286 +0.274 +0.297 +0.326
2009 11 +0.496 +0.418 +0.575 +0.493

The global-average lower tropospheric temperature anomaly rebounded from +0.29 deg. C in October to +0.50 deg. C in November. Both hemispheres, as well as the tropics, contributed to this warmth. The global anomaly for November of +0.50 deg. C is a period record for November (since 1979); the previous November high was +0.40 deg C. in 2004 2005. [NOTE: These satellite measurements are not calibrated to surface thermometer data, but use on-board redundant precision platinum resistance thermometers.]

Following is the global-average sea surface temperature anomalies through November 2009 from the AMSR-E instrument on NASA’s Aqua satellite:

As usual, the trend line in the previous figure should not be construed as having any predictive power whatsoever — it is for entertainment purposes only.

My Top 10 Annoyances in the Climate Change Debate
November 28th, 2009
Well, maybe not my top 10…but the first ten that I thought of.

1. The term “climate change” itself. Thirty years ago, the term “climate change” would have meant natural climate change, which is what climate scientists mostly studied before that time. Today, it has come to mean human-caused climate change. The public, and especially the media, now think that “climate change” implies WE are responsible for it. Mother Nature, not Al Gore, invented real climate change.

2. “Climate change denier”. A first cousin to the first annoyance. Again, thirty years ago, “climate change denier” would have meant someone who denied that the Medieval Warm Period ever happened. Or that the Little Ice Age ever happened. What a kook fringe thing to believe that would have been! And now, those of us who still believe in natural climate change are called “climate change deniers”?? ARGHH.

3. The appeal to peer-reviewed and published research. I could go on about this for pages. Yes, it is important to have scientific research peer-reviewed and published. But as the Climategate e-mails have now exposed (and what many scientists already knew), we skeptics of human-caused climate change have “peers” out there who have taken it upon themselves to block our research from being published whenever possible. We know there are editors of scientific journals who assist in this by sending our papers to these gatekeepers for the purpose of killing the paper. We try not to complain too much when it happens because it is difficult to prove motivation. I believe the day is approaching when it will be time to make public the evidence of biased peer review.

4. Appeal to authority. This is the last refuge of IPCC scientists. Even when we skeptics get research published, it is claimed that our research is contradicted by other research the IPCC has encouraged, helped to get funded, and cherry-picked to support its case. This is dangerous for the progress of science. If the majority opinion of scientists was always assumed to be correct, then most major scientific advances would not have occurred. The appeal to authority is also a standard propaganda technique.

5. Unwillingness to debate. I have lectured to many groups where the organizers could not find anyone from the IPCC side who would present the IPCC’s side of the story. I would be happy to debate any of the IPCC experts on the central issues of human-caused versus natural climate change, and feedbacks in the climate system. They know where to find me. (For the most common tactic used by the IPCC in a debate, see annoyance #4.)

6. A lack of common sense. Common sense can be misleading, of course. But when there is considerable uncertainty, sometimes it is helpful to go ahead and use a little anyway. Example: It is well known that the net effect of clouds is to cool the Earth in response to radiant heating by the sun. But when it comes to global warming, all climate models do just the opposite…change clouds in ways that amplify radiative warming. While this is theoretically possible, it is critical to future projections of global warming that the reasons why models do this be thoroughly understood. Don’t believe it just because group think within the climate modeling community has decided it should be so.

7. Use of climate models as truth. Because there are not sufficient high-quality, globally-distributed, and long term observations of climate fluctuations to study and better understand the climate system with, computerized climate models are now regarded as truth. The modelers’ belief that climate models represent truth is evident from the language they use: climate models are not “tested” with real data, but instead “validated”. The implication is clear: if the data do not agree with the models, it must be the data’s fault.

8. Claims that climate models have been tested. A hallmark of a good theory is that it should predict something which, upon further investigation, turns out to be correct. To my knowledge, climate models have not yet forecasted anything of significance. And even if they did, models are ultimately being relied upon to forecast global warming (aka ‘climate change’). As far as I can tell, there is no good way to test them in this regard. And please don’t tell me they can now replicate the seasons quite well. Even the public could predict the seasons before there were climate models. Predicting future warming (or cooling) is slightly more difficult, but not by much: a flip a coin will be correct 50% of the time.

9. The claim that the IPCC is unbiased. The IPCC was formed for the explicit purpose of building the case for global warming being our fault, not for investigating the possibility that it is just part of a natural cycle in the climate system. Their accomplices in government have bought off the scientific community for the purpose of achieving specific policy goals.

10. The claim that reducing CO2 emissions is the right thing to do anyway. Oh, really? What if life on Earth (which requires CO2 for its existence) is actually benefiting from more CO2? Nature is always changing anyway…why must we always assume that every single change that humans cause is necessarily a bad thing? Even though virtually all Earth scientists believe this, too, it is not science, but religion. I’m all for religion…but not when it masquerades as science.

ClimateGate and the Elitist Roots of Global Warming Alarmism
November 21st, 2009
The hundreds of e-mails being made public after someone hacked into Phil Jones’ Climatic Research Unit (CRU) computer system offer a revealing peek inside the IPCC machine. It will take some time before we know whether any illegal activity has been uncovered (e.g. hiding or destruction of data to avoid Freedom of Information Act inquiries).

Some commentators even think this is the beginning of the end for the IPCC. I doubt it.

The scientists at the center of this row are defending themselves. Phil Jones has claimed that some of the more alarming statements in his e-mails have been taken out of context. The semi-official response from RealClimate.org, a website whose roots can be traced to George Soros (which I’m sure is irrelevant), claims the whole episode is much ado about nothing.

At a minimum, some of these e-mails reveal an undercurrent of elitism that many of us have always claimed existed in the IPCC. These scientists look upon us skeptics with scorn. It is well known that the IPCC machine is made up of bureaucrats and scientists who think they know how the world should be run. The language contained in a draft of the latest climate treaty (meant to replace the Kyoto treaty) involves global governance and the most authoritarian means by which people’s energy use will be restricted and monitored by the government.

Even if this language does not survive in the treaty’s final form, it illustrates the kind of people we are dealing with. The IPCC folks jet around the world to all kinds of exotic locations for their UN-organized meetings where they eat the finest food. Their gigantic carbon footprints stomp around the planet as they deride poor Brazilian farmers who convert jungle into farmland simply to survive.

Even mainstream journalists, who are usually on board with the latest environmental craze, have commented on this blatant display of hypocrisy. It seems like those participating – possibly the best example being Al Gore — are not even aware of how it looks to the rest of us.

The elitist attitudes exist elsewhere, too. While the skeptics’ blogs allow those who disagree to post opinions as long as they remain civil about it, RealClimate.org routinely ignores or deletes posts that might cast doubt on their tidy worldview. The same thing happens at Wikipedia, where a gatekeeper deletes newly posted content that departs from the IPCC party line.

A few of the CRU e-mails suggest that manipulation of climate data in order to reduce the signature of natural climate variations, and to exaggerate the supposed evidence for manmade climate change, is OK with these folks. Apparently, the ends justify the means.

The defense posted at RealClimate.org actually reinforces my point. Do the IPCC scientists assume that this is how all climate scientists behave? If it really was how the rest of us behave, why would our eyebrows be raised up to our hairlines as we read the e-mails?

If all of this sounds incompatible with the process of scientific investigation, it shouldn’t. One of the biggest misconceptions the public has about science is that research is a straightforward process of making measurements, and then seeing whether the data support hypothesis A or B. The truth is that the interpretation of data is seldom that simple.

There are all kinds of subjective decisions that must be made along the way, and the scientist must remain vigilant that he or she is not making those decisions based upon preconceived notions. Data are almost always dirty, with errors of various kinds. Which data will be ignored? Which data will be emphasized? How will the data be processed to tease out the signal we think we see?

Hopefully, the scientist is more interested in discovering how nature really works, rather than twisting the data to support some other agenda. It took me years to develop the discipline to question every research result I got. It is really easy to be wrong in this business, and very difficult to be right.

Skepticism really is at the core of scientific progress. I’m willing to admit that I could be wrong about all my views on manmade global warming. Can the IPCC scientists admit the same thing?

Year after year, the evidence keeps mounting that most climate research now being funded is for the purpose of supporting the IPCC’s politics, not to find out how nature works. The ‘data spin’ is increasingly difficult to ignore or to explain away as just sloppy science. If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck…

Abraham Lincoln

Whoa, dude, blog does not equal science. And un-cited data is totally useless. Before you have some witty comeback about attacking the person line of bullshit, lemme splain something to you. When YOU present scientific data it is not MY responsibility to figure out from where the data originated, that is the responsibility of the citer. There is a very specific reason why this is done and is an accepted standard anywhere science is being done.

Whoa, dude, blog does not equal science. And un-cited data is totally useless. Before you have some witty comeback about attacking the person line of bullshit, lemme splain something to you. When YOU present scientific data it is not MY responsibility to figure out from where the data originated, that is the responsibility of the citer. There is a very specific reason why this is done and is an accepted standard anywhere science is being done.

Go to the site. I posted the supporting info is there. As for "data" ? Well, he has as much supporting data as anybody has posted here
Abraham Lincoln

I am on a crackberry so access to his research papers is limited by my ability/desire to access it via this interface. That being said, if his data is as good as anyone else's I will give it considerable weight. If it is a self-referential (as I am assuming, but may be very wrong) REASERCH PAPER than I will never bother you again in regards to global warming. I will let others bang their heads against the wall of your(and his) opinion.

Hey perhaps I should call my web site drjohnkallend.com instead of freak-brother.com

Talk about pompous.

This clearly illustrates what a great scientist you have hung your hat on:D:D

What are you doing posting on the internet with a computer device? Don't you care about the environment? How insensitive of you? Where did you get the electricity to power that computer device? Where did they get that electricity to power all those servers? How about the plastics that made up all those computers and peripherals? How insensitive of you? Don't you know that plastics are made from oil? Don't you care about your children and your children's children etc, etc, etc. How do you heat (or maybe cool) your home? Don't you care about the environment? Where does your water come from? Do you walk everywhere you go? Maybe ride a bike? How did you build your home? Very impressive that you were able to transport the roof trusses on your bicycle, or did you get them there on public transit? Maybe your home isn't made using trusseses. What is your home made of? Wood? Metals? Some sort of composite material? Maybe you live in a mud hut? Aren't you concerned about the environmental impact that occurred building the place you call home? How insensitive and selfish of you to be thinking you needed to destroy the world's environment just so that you could have a place to call home and use electricity and oil to post on the internet

Humans would have to revert back to the stone age and then still it would take eons to see any environmental results. I believe in evolution (yes hard to believe that a Conservative believes in evolution, I know Liberal Lefties love perpetuating the stereo-type that Conservatives are ignorant religious nut-cases ... not that there is anything wrong with religious nut-cases) and yes as a believer in evolution I believe this planet continues to adapt to changes. What was yesterday, will not be the same tomorrow. The planet is much more powerful than any human can dream of being.

Stop pretending you are Gods.

Humans can NOT control Mother Nature.

but

Humans can control their pollutants.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Hey Marc, you like AP reports (at least, you often cite them). Try this one:

www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gRa5F7Lv_zO0ZKaHmbQENlyV3KdgD9CHUS980

Professor, you and I both know that the emails didn't contain data to confirm or debunk global warming. The emails discussed the doubts and hiding the data. Now why have doubts and why hide data unless...........???

Apparently you've never done any real science research. If you had, you'd know that doubt is an important prt of scientific curiosity, and just because some politically motivated jerk wants your data before you've finished analyzing it doesn't mean you have to give it to him.

Ahhh.... the bold text. Emotions emerge. These emails never said "hide the data because we aren't done researching yet". Secondly, if you have doubts, then chill out on the planet melting hype. One doesn't have to do scientific research to know better then to get caught up in conventional wisdom.

By the way, here's an article on your boy Al Gore by the London Times. I would have posted Fox News but new you wouldn't even click the link. :D(even though they both have the same article) ;)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/copenhagen/article6956783.ece

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

By the way, here's an article on your boy Al Gore by the London Times. I would have posted Fox News but new you wouldn't even click the link. :D(even though they both have the same article) ;)

:D

You DO know who owns the London Times, right?
:D

Hey perhaps I should call my web site drjohnkallend.com instead of freak-brother.com

Talk about pompous.

This clearly illustrates what a great scientist you have hung your hat on:D:D

And this post and assurtion clearly shows the desperate measure those AWG faith based followers will go try and discredit anyone they label as a denier.

Really John, you can do better

If you concentrate really really hard you maybe can stay on topic ... ... ... .. .... ... .. ... if you want to... ... .. .... ... .... .. .. . . . .....which you dont
Abraham Lincoln

Yes, but I don't need to when debating you.

And the guy you quote discredits himself as a scientist by his ravings about creationism.

Not nearly as bad as you do here on this site:|
Abraham Lincoln

And the guy you quote discredits himself as a scientist by his ravings about creationism.

I guess you're embarrassed about your inappropriate choice of champion.

I guess you're embarrassed about your inappropriate choice of champion.

Not really teach
You need to set this up as being one way or the other. Mutually exclusive of each other which I am sure you know is patently false.

In any event, I have been wrong before and I can admit to being wrong.
This is much easier that the choice you will have

You know, admitting you support fraud for a political purpose devoid of fact and science.

And in the end Spence can be thrown up against anything you got and hold up well.

The only thing I am embarrassed about is having to take the time to reply to stupid posts
Abraham Lincoln

A bit misleading of what is being claimed

The "trick" tid bit is aimed more at temp data where the tree ring hub bub is related to removal of trees that did not fit the scientists world view of the data.

And, if tree data is not reliable to begin with for the reasons givin in your post, why do Mann and others at the CRU us it to try and fool even more people?

Oh ya, fraud is the correct word here

Look
Me and every "denier" here really just want an open honest debate. But instead, as your prove daily, when a denier of any qualifications present anything they are attacked, not what they publish. Why?

Got to get out of the kitchen?

And then your favorite bite about who is paying whom is shattered yersterday when the CRU funding plans are exposed.

So, it is ok for a new potential business to fund the AWG alarmists while companies who are simply trying to survive support the deniers? Hells bells John, what the hell is the matter of letting the science settle disagrements? Or is just destroying the oposition the name of the game?

Cant have it both ways in the real world, but I know you will in your mind some how[:/]
Abraham Lincoln

How about a paper from another MIT Climate denier with better qualification than most you quote here

http://www-eaps.mit.edu/faculty/lindzen/adinfriris.pdf

I look for the flame throwers aimed at the person and not the science or opinion yet again

http://www-eaps.mit.edu/faculty/lindzen.htm
Abraham Lincoln

How about a paper from another MIT Climate denier with better qualification than most you quote here

I look for the flame throwers aimed at the person and not the science or opinion yet again

Nothing new there, no-one has claimed that cloudiness isn't going to be a factor.

I found Fig. 5 very convincing.

I'm glad you chose a reputable scientist this time, instead of a creationist nutcase.

And, of course, one of his statements in the link you provided was

! that global mean temperature has probably increased over the past century,
! that CO2 in the atmosphere has
increased over the same period,
! that the added CO2 is more likely
to have caused global mean
temperature to increase rather than
decrease, and
! that man, like the butterfly, has
some impact on climate.

Nothing new there, no-one has claimed that cloudiness isn't going to be a factor.

I found Fig. 5 very convincing.

I'm glad you chose a reputable scientist this time, instead of a creationist nutcase.

Funny, since I have posted this before
Abraham Lincoln