SpeedRacer

86 yr old WWII veteran speaks about gay marriage

No not understand the meaning. But thinking (your) understanding to have more weight then the supreme court!
Many attornies have argued before the court. And lost!!
Many lower court decisions have been oveturned!!
If all we needed was what (someone) believed for it to be fact.
We wouldn't have any court system at all. When the court says it's a constitutional right it will be.
But your saying so does not make it so. Even if you (understand) it that way

Well Billvon as i've said to others. At least you use reason to present your opinion and i respect that!
You have also made me think and question things which is THE ONLY WAY this is ever going to be resolved.
But i still do not believe it to be a constitutional right.
Although i'm sure that due to our political climate it will be some day.
And when that happens I WILL RESPECT IT!! But for now i can not.
As for a few states saying it is. So what? The supreme court has often disagreed with state laws.
The right to KEEP AND BEAR ARMS is clearly spelled out in the constitution.
And yet many states and cities say i can't!
California also has medical marijuna laws. And yet growers with state licences are raided and arrested by federal agents for violating federal law.
I personally do not care one way or the other how this plays out.
Hell letting gays get married and loseing everything in divorce is not going to have any impact on my
life.
Why shouldn't they be able to be miserable and broke to?
But there are plenty of others who feel different and will fight like hell to prevent it.
And i think it's a shame that PEOPLE will continue to be denied their HUMAN rights because of it.
I think it's to bad that we can't reach some kind of compromise.
As i said call it whatever you want. (The domestic partnership act) And i would 100% support it!
But yelling that it is a constitutional right to marry will get 0% support from me.

But thinking (your) understanding to have more weight then the supreme court!

I don't, nor did I ever imply that I think my understanding has more weight than the SCOTUS. How you came to that conclusion is beyond me.

But your saying so does not make it so. Even if you (understand) it that way

I never said or implied that it did. I merely pointed out that simply because a right is not enumerated within the Constitution does not imply that it is not Constitutionally protected (a concept that has been upheld by the SCOTUS).
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Agreed.

I did say I'd get back to counter-points I'd yet to address, but figured it'd be fairly pointless. The entire argument has been going around in circles for long enough.

Anyone who wishes to feel they've therefore won the argument can feel free to do so, although the fact of the matter is that I can't be arsed.

And I'm still against gay marriage, yet I'm neither homophobic, bigoted, racist, nor stupid. But also feel free to imply that I am if it suits you.:)

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

Well at least I live in a state that does not completely have its head up its ass is a bit more heartening.

The fact there are at least 400,000+ who will do anything to discriminate against anyone NOT LIKE THEM... still saddens me. This law does not take anything away from them.. and just gives right s to people who wish to live and love and have the same rights as anyone else. Hell they are not even calling it marriage.. but there are STILL over 400,000 BIGOTS willing and able to show their BIGOTRY right here in a very blue state.

http://www.ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Washington_Referendum_71_(2009)

Another datapoint I need to add is that there was one time, somewhere in the past that one of my parents claimed they were against gay marriage, yet totally made me and my boyfriend welcome at Christmas dinners, and all invitations were always mutual, exactly the same rights afforded to any other sibling with a partner (regardless of sexuality).

That means, I do accept there exists people who are genuinely nice to gays, with genuine respect, even if they aren't internally 100% supportive or comfortable of the idea of gayness. Or that for one reason or another (i.e. tradition) may not believe in gay marriage.

Some people may call that homophobia. Some say it isn't homophobia. Clinical and sterile, from a dictoinary, homophobia means a phobia of homosexuals -- without defining if the phobia is mild or extreme.

Generally I avoid the word homophobia in my vocabulary as it's too fuzzy a catchall word, used in both mild and extremist cases....

Examples of what some describe as homophobia (noun):
"kill all gays!"
...versus...
"you're my best friend, just I don't believe in gay marriage, however I respect you if you believe in gay marriage, and I'll tolerate it if it happens!"
...versus...
"Give me time, I'm still trying to get used to the idea of gay marriage."
...or...
"Give me time, I'm still trying to get used to the idea of gays."

Some people call all cases equally as homophobia, which I believe is totally unfair when taken out of context. There is a stigma with the use of word "homophobia", like the word "racist"

Some people prefer to use the word "tolerance" for those happy "edge cases".