diverborg

Who thinks Ron Paul is the bestest?

They are, but as with liberals, we'll talk to anyone whether you want it or not.

Not so sure I fully agree with that statement.

The Republcans are a club that if you are a memeber, none of what non-members have to say is worthwhile and you won't listen to it.

After these last primaries, I can see that. No, I'm not quite over it yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_paul

Paul was the first Republican representative from the area; he also led the Texas Reagan delegation at the national Republican convention

Back at ya.

In the 1988 presidential election, Paul defeated American Indian activist Russell Means to win the Libertarian Party nomination for president.[6] Paul criticized Ronald Reagan as a failure and cited high deficits as exhibit A

And then he defected.

I'm not denying that one bit. My :S face was only based on this comment you made.

Another classist elitist doing what he can to keep the rich, rich.

IMO, that still deserves a :S.

1) Feel free to puke, since that was neccessary for you to interject that.

I did, all better now.;)

And here inlies the problem with Libertarians: they think they know where the need is. Of course I notice no complaint about the Republicans spending you to death, but taht just supports my assertion/theory that Libertarians are disgruntled Republicans.

And her inlies the problem with Liberals, they think the govt knows where the need is. You want to try and tell me that a beaurocrat in Washington knows my local community better than I do? There are people here that need help, and there are those that would be much better without it. Most of the welfare collectors in my town drive a nicer vehicle than I do. I drive by the WIC/Medicaid office everyday on the way to work. Most of the vehicles in that parking lot have wheels that are worth more than my whole vehicle. Those people do not need a monthly check from the government. So yes, some social services need to be cut. And I will vote for someone willing to do that over someone wanting to expand it and furthering the problem with a lazy society depending on the government. And as we covered earlier this is not because of greed or a lack of compassion. So I find it a very unfair judgement to throw that statement out about Ron Paul.
And yes, If it were a republican doing all the spending which it was prior, I was and would be just as angry. I don't need a political party to identify with to tell me how to think or feel. When I see common sense and personal liberties defended, well I'm gonna vote for them, even if that means they have a D after their name.

Don't take it personally, unless you fit the...."stereotype."

Ok.

Sincerely, if you do these, kudos. So when do help at the hospital doing surgeries for peopel with difficult ilnesses? Oh, you can't, we better collect taxes for that then.

That debate could make a 300 page thread all itself, so I'm gonna leave that one alone for now.

Exactly, what I said in a previous post about the Republican Party getting mad, not listening, etc...well, it come sout here. The RW and Libertarians don't have to take that shit and they won't, liberals are stupid and you ahve to yell and interupt to getthem to listen. In fact, when they say things you don't like, jump up and shout, "YOU LIE." Then when your get reprimansed dismiss it as a double standard.....that's how you get your point accross to them GD libs; doesn't hurt to slam your hand on the table either.

I may have been mad, but I was still listening. Are saying that liberals don't get mad? This comment is full of more stereotypes which I'm sure if time allowed I could find many silly things liberals have done. Would it make you feel better if I said Joe Wilson was a douche?

Perhaps, just as conservative Teddy Roosevelt was teh same, he was so good it got his face plastered on Mt. Rushmore. But the ugly side of Paul is that he doesn't give two shits about social care. If you want to convice me or to even support your position, why not illustrate Paul's social svs platform. You I'll listen and respond, after all, I'm a GD liberal.

:D That was pretty witty, I must admit. Like I said earlier though, govt social services have been all but a complete failure in this country, so yes I believe a portion of them need to be cut so we can have the freedom to manage our own resources to some extent. I'm not for entirely cuttying out every social svc program, but I would be happy to at least see some progress in the other direction rather than creating a society completely dependant up on our govt. What happens when the money runs out? Since I can't collect social security, does that mean I can at least get some of the money I paid into it back? Or do you think its ok for the government to make me pay into "social security" my whole life and then decide later on that they needed that money for something else, and I can't collect?

Don't assume I skydive that much, it's been months. As for a vacation, been allost 2 years since a quick run to Vegas. But I would rather have everyone's healthcare prearranged in some form, even if we have to participate in its maintenance via mandated participation as long as regulation exists. And the indigent need free care.

Wasn't really referring to you, as much as plenty of fellow skydivers that spend twice as much jumping in a month than what health insurance would cost them. Yet they want the general public to pay for their broken femur from their reckless behavior. What about smokers, obese, and bikers. Shouldn't we tax the hell out of ice cream, cigs, motorcycles, and cake to help pay for this. Or maybe we should ban those items altogether. Again this deserves a 300 page thread all of its own, so I'll leave it there.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/greed

n. An excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves, especially with respect to material wealth.

Notice I bolded part of that definition. Just because you need something doesn't mean you deserve it. I volunteer my time to those that need it. Does that mean they deserve to have me volunteer my time. No, they should be thankful I do, and most of them are. So yes, wanting something you haven't deserved or earned is greed, whether that be something you feel you need or not. If I'm on an island stranded with 6 people and everyone goes out searching for food, but I stay at the camp lounging by the fire all day, would it not be greedy of me to demand food from those that went out searching for it. Of course I need it to survive, so its not greed by your interpretation.

Basic heathcare is more than one needs? I guess I'm greedy because I want that elusive basic healthcare. Next thing you know I'll want running water and electricity.

You can have all those things if you work for them, just like the people that are working to provide them for you. Its a pretty simple concept really. Its sad its gotten so confusing these days.

Please note that I'm not referring to those unable to work. Thats a whole other issue.

I may post my opinions, but I post a citation to support it, a concept foreign to you. Our opinions are fine, but unless we support them they are just that.

You seem to think that if you can cite someone that agrees with your opinion that it makes it fact - not so.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Politics are best when parties compete for success, rather than refuse to change an wait for the other side to implode.

Why? Personally, I kind of like people who have ideals and stick to them. It makes it easier to predict how they're going to behave once they're in office. People who just change to suit the political winds are likely to continue doing so once in office.

Gotta love the irony! :D
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Politics are best when parties compete for success, rather than refuse to change an wait for the other side to implode.

Why? Personally, I kind of like people who have ideals and stick to them. It makes it easier to predict how they're going to behave once they're in office. People who just change to suit the political winds are likely to continue doing so once in office.

See it all the time when y'all post - with Tom, not so much. Maybe you can provide some examples.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

… Maybe you can provide some examples.

Libertarians are strong supporters of free markets and competition.

… Maybe you can provide some examples.

And this has WHAT to do with his remark about politicians, pray tell?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

And this has WHAT to do with his remark about politicians, pray tell?

How does the expression go? If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand, anyway.

Ah, I see... so you were making a joke that only YOU got. I think the technical term for that is 'mental masturbation'.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Not so sure I fully agree with that statement.

The typical liberal methodology for discussing issues is to include both consistent and opposing conversation. Wanna see examples of that? Look at Bill Mahr's politically incorrect, look at Limbaugh's radio show, even look at the View. Conservatives don't want adverse views in their presence. Libs will talk your ear off, conservatives will just shut you out.

After these last primaries, I can see that. No, I'm not quite over it yet.

And Paul has defected and spoke out against Reagan, so he's out.

Another classist elitist doing what he can to keep the rich, rich.

Explain to me, please, Paul's agenda for the poor. Please, no one has done that yet. This, "competition will make the market more available for everyone" is BS and we all know it.

And her inlies the problem with Liberals, they think the govt knows where the need is.

When you see people walking around with ailments, mental health issues, etc it doesn't take a genius to figure it out. And you can tell people to pull themselves up by the bootstraps for so long until you notice they aren't; now what's your reaction?

You want to try and tell me that a beaurocrat in Washington knows my local community better than I do? There are people here that need help, and there are those that would be much better without it.

Here we go, if you give people welfare they'll grow addicted to it, bla, bla.

Most of the welfare collectors in my town drive a nicer vehicle than I do. I drive by the WIC/Medicaid office everyday on the way to work. Most of the vehicles in that parking lot have wheels that are worth more than my whole vehicle. Those people do not need a monthly check from the government. So yes, some social services need to be cut.

AND THIS IS THE RIGHT WING SCIENTIFIC METHOD. I say right wing because Ron Paul is RW, call it the conservative method or whatever is pallatable for you. When you drive by a parking lot, assume all the people there are welfare recipients and assess their vehicles and call that science, you have just refused to be scientific and the banjos play. What if the cars are owned by the employees? What if the cars are borrowed or a friend drove them? You have nothing to offer scientifically, even wonder why Paul gets 3% popular vote?

And I will vote for someone willing to do that over someone wanting to expand it and furthering the problem with a lazy society depending on the government.

Yea, lazy piece of shit, get out of that wheelchair, faker.

And as we covered earlier this is not because of greed or a lack of compassion. So I find it a very unfair judgement to throw that statement out about Ron Paul.

No, not greed, but kind compassion, as when a father beats his kid for the good of the kid. Yea, just deny them and if they are tough they will surface, if not they will die off. Sound slike Salem revisted. Again, wonder why Paul gets 3%?

And yes, If it were a republican doing all the spending which it was prior, I was and would be just as angry.

It HAS BEEN the Republicans doing the spending, just that they feel no sympathy for poor peopel, they feel sympathy for rich people and give them corporate welfare.

I don't need a political party to identify with to tell me how to think or feel. When I see common sense and personal liberties defended, well I'm gonna vote for them, even if that means they have a D after their name.

Now you're getting into that concept of acting like welfare is going to lead to a tax increase. Listen well: OBAMA IS GOING TO INCREASE TAXES WITH OR WITHOUT HEALTHCARE REFORM.

That debate could make a 300 page thread all itself, so I'm gonna leave that one alone for now.

AKA: avoidance. As I wrote, you can volunteer at the shelter and that's admirable, but you can't volunteer to perform a medical operation, so we need to collect taxes or do as Paul would do and refuse to acknowledge poor people.

I may have been mad, but I was still listening. Are saying that liberals don't get mad? This comment is full of more stereotypes which I'm sure if time allowed I could find many silly things liberals have done. Would it make you feel better if I said Joe Wilson was a douche?

Not at all, I'm just talking the protocol of conservative talkers. Look at Limbaugh, he jumps around in his chair, makes of Michael Fox and makes racist remarks about McNabb. I don't think he's exemplary of all conservatives, I think most conservatives have a degree of that in them.

That was pretty witty, I must admit. Like I said earlier though, govt social services have been all but a complete failure in this country, so yes I believe a portion of them need to be cut so we can have the freedom to manage our own resources to some extent.

SO they've been a failure and the fix is to oust them all? And the, 'freedom to manage our own resources ' means to ignore poor people or MC peopel that cannot afford healthcare; I get it. You keep infering Paul's/Libertarians concern yet everytime you have a chance to illustrate it you just give me this, 'take care of yourself or die' rhetotic. Showme Paul's platform on social svs.

I'm not for entirely cuttying out every social svc program, but I would be happy to at least see some progress in the other direction rather than creating a society completely dependant up on our govt.

We have the least dependent nation in the free world and you want to make svs less available under this fairytale of evryone taking care of themselves, even the elderly and disabled. Even for solvent people, we're still 37th in the world in overall healthcare.

What happens when the money runs out? Since I can't collect social security, does that mean I can at least get some of the money I paid into it back? Or do you think its ok for the government to make me pay into "social security" my whole life and then decide later on that they needed that money for something else, and I can't collect?

Yes it's fair, you might become disabled and draw 1000 time more from it than you put into it, or you might never draw a dime from it. See, we have to have it or you could be out in the streets like 1000's of peopel in Tijuana; ever been there? Altho I don't mean to infer Republicans/Libertarians have compassion, but it might make ya feel good to know your nation talkes care of its weak. There will always be some form of SS, esp for the elderly.

I recall you saying you were 5 when Perot ran, is that right? If so, that makes you 22ish. Trust me kid, and I say that with all endearment, life gets waaaaay tougher. Ever wonder why the rules have been established so that you have age requirements to run for congress or teh presidency? And 25/35 in those days is like 50 or 60 today, so that should be revised. You have high schoo and your dad's opinions from which to draw, you are probably in perfect heath and cannot understand people who aren't.

Wasn't really referring to you, as much as plenty of fellow skydivers that spend twice as much jumping in a month than what health insurance would cost them. Yet they want the general public to pay for their broken femur from their reckless behavior. What about smokers, obese, and bikers. Shouldn't we tax the hell out of ice cream, cigs, motorcycles, and cake to help pay for this. Or maybe we should ban those items altogether. Again this deserves a 300 page thread all of its own, so I'll leave it there.

But to sit there and nitpick who gets it because they're 20 lbs overweight and declare them ineligible is what the conservatives call compassion and why they're out and falling. Instead of looking for ways to help people they look for ways to disqualify people from help; get the recurring theme?

GREED: n. An excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves, especially with respect to material wealth.

-------------------------------

Notice I bolded part of that definition. Just because you need something doesn't mean you deserve it.

Ok, let's eliminate the word you dislike: An excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs, especially with respect to material wealth.

There, now it's devoid of deserves. Read it and show me how a person w/o medical care applies to that. Material wealth is the first one that kills your point.

1) Healthcare is not material wealth, it is a basic sustainance.

2) And then, "to acquire or possess more than what one needs," also kills your point, as basic healthcare is not more than a person needs. Perhaps elective enhancing surgeries could be classified as that.

It's unconscionable to think a person views indigent people, unemployed people, poor people are greedy for wanting basic healthcare; the rest of the world laughs at that.

***I volunteer my time to those that need it. Does that mean they deserve to have me volunteer my time. No, they should be thankful I do, and most of them are. So yes, wanting something you haven't deserved or earned is greed, whether that be something you feel you need or not.

Remember, the definition for greed was to need or deserve, not want and deserve, so your point is void in that either element satisfies the requirement. As well, HC is not material wealth, so trying to bastardize the definition of GREED and apply it to people w/o HC is so American of you. Look at all those greedy people down on their luck, they have abcessed teeth and they actually want medical care, greedy bastards, WWPD: that's an acronym ofr: What Would PAul Do? He would call em greedy and kick em to the curb and feel compassionate for it - enjoy your 3%.

If I'm on an island stranded with 6 people and everyone goes out searching for food, but I stay at the camp lounging by the fire all day, would it not be greedy of me to demand food from those that went out searching for it. Of course I need it to survive, so its not greed by your interpretation.

Ok, but your scenario assumes everyone is able, what I would expect from a 22 YO. Now we learn the guy staying back has only 1 leg, now how do you feel?

You can have all those things if you work for them, just like the people that are working to provide them for you. Its a pretty simple concept really. Its sad its gotten so confusing these days.

And the people who have families early in life and never establish work skills, education, etc. People who are unemployed due to a healthy Republican economy. On and on and on. People with preexisting conditions. This isn't about working for it, this is about putting greed, material greed not the 'I just want basic helthcare' greed to which you refer, but putting greed over people. America has always been good at that, we just need to unlearn it.

Please note that I'm not referring to those unable to work. Thats a whole other issue.

OH REALLY? You're calling for a slashing of all svs, quit changing up now.

I may post my opinions, but I post a citation to support it, a concept foreign to you. Our opinions are fine, but unless we support them they are just that.

You seem to think that if you can cite someone that agrees with your opinion that it makes it fact - not so.

I cite governemnt agencies when I can. Please, oh please Mikey, show me a Moveon, a DNC, ACLU or any lefty ref I've posted. In fact I found a few of those in the process of research and I rejected them. You're outta gas bro.

I'd criticize citations of yours, but I can't find any :D

I hear ya bro:

RON PAUL FLIP-FLOP: Reagan's aide in 8o, then departs in 88, back in 2008 :S editorials attached: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071218002822AASHMx3

BUSH'S FLIP=FLOPS: http://www.50bushflipflops.com/Introduction/home.html

I'll just let you read the list pf 50 for fun :D

Ah, I see... so you were making a joke that only YOU got.

No, it wasn't a joke at all. I was just pointing out the irony that someone who believes that competition and the law of supply & demand can sort everything out in the marketplace doesn't believe they will work to sort out the rules of the marketplace.

I cite governemnt agencies when I can. Please, oh please Mikey, show me a Moveon, a DNC, ACLU or any lefty ref I've posted. In fact I found a few of those in the process of research and I rejected them. You're outta gas bro.

That's because I don't offer my OPINION as fact. Keep waiting.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Then you can't be too sore if I dismiss your opinion as factually irrelevant.

So now we have to resort to saying my young age is the reason for my method of thinking.

First of all, I said 5th grade, not 5 years old, so that puts me at 28. I'm married, own a home, and work full time. Still fairly new to the world I understand, but you are drawing a few very wrong conclusions about me. I was paying rent at age 16. I've been out of the house since 18. My dad was a single parent rasing 3 kids on working on $8/hr at the time I left home at age 18. He never collected a penny of govt aid for anything. The only thing we ever accepted in govt aid was reduced lunch costs at school. He always paid for health insurance for us, but we got all of our clothes at goodwill, lived in a two bedroom apt (all 4 of us), and we never went hungry. Our family car was a beatup rusted out 1980 buick skylark that my dad drove till it had over 300,000 miles on it.

Do I think we had it rough? Not one bit. Telling people they can't afford something is BS. When you replace your needs with wants then you won't be able to afford something. The beautiful thing about this country is that someone with a childhood like mine can still make well for himself if he wants to. I tried hard in school, took out the student loans I needed to go to college, busted my ass through college and worked my way up the ladder at work to now make a comfortable living. Now you want to tax guys like myself extra to pay for those that aren't even willing to try.

Also if you reread my posts, I never said that I wanted to cut all social svcs, I simply said I wanted them to be scaled back, in areas where they are wasted and abused like our welfare system. Disability is an entirely different issue and that's what I was referring to in my last post about those unable to work. I have not flip-flopped on this issue. So comments like

Yea, lazy piece of shit, get out of that wheelchair, faker.

do not reflect anything I've stated in any of my posts.

Also, I'm not making any assumptions about the people with vehicles, I live in a small town where I know most of them on a personal level.

I'm not as extreme as you think as well. I'm ok with paying medicare. There might be some better solutions to medicare out there than a govt run program, but thats not an area I've researched as much. Govt pell grants and student loans are a good idea to encourage low-income kids to go to college. I believe we need a way to protect and take care of those truly disabled in this country. I'm all for finding solutions to these problems. Heck I'd be fine with a govt health plan that only kicked in when a private insurance company denied you based on preexisting conditions if thats what everyone seems to be freaking out about.

Paying people to have babies and sending people checks in the mail every month to sit on their ass is not a solution the problem. If you think that somehow that puts me out of touch with reality, than I'm wasting my time.

Here we go, if you give people welfare they'll grow addicted to it, bla, bla.

You disagree with that?, and say I'm the one out of touch. What part of the country do you live in? Are all the people you know that collect welfare, just victims of a Republican economy. Keep telling people they're victims, and of course they're never gonna make it.

SO they've been a failure and the fix is to oust them all? And the, 'freedom to manage our own resources ' means to ignore poor people or MC peopel that cannot afford healthcare; I get it. You keep infering Paul's/Libertarians concern yet everytime you have a chance to illustrate it you just give me this, 'take care of yourself or die' rhetotic. Showme Paul's platform on social svs.

Well, hello there Mr Hyperbole. I never illustrated anything that reflected a "take care of yourself or die" mentality. My island illustration was to only show you that yes wanting items you need that you are not willing to put any effort for still constitutes greed by the definition you gave me. I never said that I wouldn't give you some of the food I collected to keep you from starving. But I still wouldn't be happy if there was a big grizzly bear on the island that said it was ok for you to stay by the fire, but forced me to go out and collect twice as much food. Now if you had a broken leg, then I wouldn't think the grizzly bear would be being that unreasonable. But in either scenario, I would out of the goodness of my heart still collect food for you if I had the means to do so.

"I thought the Rocky Mountains would be a little rockier than this. That John Denver's full of shit"

Another point: contrary to the song "Country Road," the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Shenandoah River are in Virginia, not West Virginia.

:|
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Supporting competition is not the same as supporting the compromising of your personal ideals.

So, you would agree that some things are best not left to competition and a free market, right?

Very well said!:)
I to grew up in a very simular situation and maid it out on my own. What able body person needs the fucking govt. to feed them?:S. \

From the age of 14 till 18 i worked at a grocery store. I grew up in South Dallas and it was a lower income area. I hated working as a sacker and seeing someone pay with food staps with gold aroung there neck and driving a caddy or nice suv. Seen it every day!>:(

Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I to grew up in a very simular situation and maid it out on my own. What able body person needs the fucking govt. to feed them?:S. \

From the age of 14 till 18 i worked at a grocery store. I grew up in South Dallas and it was a lower income area. I hated working as a sacker and seeing someone pay with food staps with gold aroung there neck and driving a caddy or nice suv. Seen it every day!>:(

All this empirical evidence, I'm going to burn my science books :o

HEy Lucky. I'm very poor. Seriously. No lie. If I pm'd you my address would you send me a donation?
www.FourWheelerHB.com

HEy Lucky. I'm very poor. Seriously. No lie. If I pm'd you my address would you send me a donation?

Yea, but it won't be money and you won't like it. :P

I have an idea, why don't we set up a safety net system thru the gov to establish who's in need and disperse it that way.....oh wait, Republicans hate the idea of the needy getting help, or for that matter anyone in a class lower than they are.

He isn't writing a scholary paper, he's reporting what he has seen. I've seen the same thing. And here is some empirical evidence that suggests he is right:

http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/erik.hurst/research/race_consumption_qje_submission.pdf

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

All this empirical evidence, I'm going to burn my science books

:D:D Cmon, should I write a thesis paper to prove to you that I have gray carpet in my living room, or is it sufficient to tell you that I have gray carpet in my living room.

Or you could take the burden of proof upon yourself and show me all this scientifically tested empirical evidence that welfare isn't abused.

Then you can't be too sore if I dismiss your opinion as factually irrelevant.

No problem - that's why it's CALLED 'opinion' and not 'fact'.

*looks around for the clue-by-four...*
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706