lawrocket

Legislating Morality

There are frequent complaints about conservatives and bible thumpers creating laws that seek to impose their own viewpoints of morality on the People.

I find these to be legitimate complaints, with certain exceptions that are well established (like banning murder, etc.). It is anathema to a free society to pass anti-sodomy laws between consenting adults, banning hate speech, etc.

Now we've heard our own President state that national healthcare is a "moral" imperative. Yes. He has now come out with the "moral" angle.

Doesn't this sounds like bible-thimping? This is the Pat Robertson angle.

Mr. President, I respect your viewpoints. I respect Robertson's right to express his views. I choose to ignore Mr. Robertson. However, your imposition of morality will not be ignorable. I can choose not to give money to a televangelist.

Will I have the choice of whether or not to subsidize others?

Imposition of morality by law. Yes, healthcare reform has itself taken on a feel of religious enlightenment. Or is it jihad?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

>Will I have the choice of whether or not to subsidize others?

You don't now. You are subsidizing soldiers, doctors in VA hospitals, doctors in your local hospital, highway workers, police officers and fire department personnel. Every time you drive to work, use your cellphone, fly in an airplane or go to park, you are using government services and forcing someone else to subsidize you. Others may demand that you offer them the same consideration that you demand of them.

There are frequent complaints about conservatives and bible thumpDoesn't this sounds like bible-thimping? This is the Pat Robertson angle.

Only if you believe that "morality" only comes from religion.

I personally believe that's bullshit.

Religious morality (anti-gay for instance) is a sub-set of morality, not the other way round.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Mr. President, I respect your viewpoints. I respect Robertson's right to express his views. I choose to ignore Mr. Robertson. However, your imposition of morality will not be ignorable. I can choose not to give money to a televangelist.

Will I have the choice of whether or not to subsidize others?

Yes!! Simply don't pay tax to the federal government and you won't be subsidizing this outrageous attempt to ensure that all people in the US have health care .

Blues,
Cliff

2muchTruth

So, from what source does your morality come if not from religion? It certainly seems quasi-religious. That is, "it is because it is."

Religious morality is fear based; "god" told me not to do such and such or I'll burn in hell.

I would argue that morality is separate from religion because certain moral ideas are not based on any single religion but transcends them entirely. Pretty much every society around the world finds it immoral to just randomly murder people. If that's true (and clearly I believe it is), then it's actually not religious at all but instead something hard wired into our DNA. I think that makes pretty good sense since from a tribal survival stand point; if you went around just randomly killing members of your tribe there would immediately be issues with its survival.

Likewise, just about every religion finds a way to justify killing other people outside their own group. Again, I believe this to be tribal DNA based.

Much of the same can be said for incest, stealing, or any one of a number of other "moral" issues that have nothing whatsoever to do with religion.

With that in mind and upscaled to a national healthcare system, I can justify in my mind at least the use of the term "moral imperative" when it comes to talking about the sick and injured.

Yes, I do find it to be immoral to just let thousands upon thousands of people die every year simply because they couldn't afford healthcare.

If a person doesn't find it immoral, I think they need to question their entire line of thought.
quade -

[replybecause certain moral ideas are not based on any single religion but transcends them entirely. Pretty much every society around the world finds it immoral to just randomly murder people. If that's true (and clearly I believe it is), then it's actually not religious at all but instead something hard wired into our DNA. I think that makes pretty good sense since from a tribal survival stand point; if you went around just randomly killing members of your tribe there would immediately be issues with its survival.

Likewise, just about every religion finds a way to justify killing other people outside their own group. Again, I believe this to be tribal DNA based.

Or it could be that we just have forgotten or been hoodwinked.
Could it be that we are gods having a human experience?
Blues, Cliff

2muchTruth

Could it be that we are gods having a human experience?

I can't really speak to hypotheticals and especially when there is no evidence to support them.

There is evidence to support morality that exists outside of religion.
quade -

Religious morality is fear based; "god" told me not to do such and such or I'll burn in hell.

Judeo-Christian religious morality. There are countless other religions out there who view things differently.

[Reply] If that's true (and clearly I believe it is), then it's actually not religious at all but instead something hard wired into our DNA.

So if it is genetic then there is no reasonable dissent. Much like suckling is genetic, There just is no variant of normal, in your thinking, that would support a view other than yours with regard to socialized medicine.

Of course, your argument also requires thinking that a species-wide mutation has occured in the last century. I disagree with that.

[Reply]I think that makes pretty good sense since from a tribal survival stand point;

I think it makes shit sense from a personal survival standpoint.

[Reply] if you went around just randomly killing members of your tribe there would immediately be issues with its survival.

Nobody is advocating that. But devoting a seventh of your tribe's resources to healthcare is also not sustainable. What do we do with the sick? We don't let the tribe starve to help that person.

[Reply]Likewise, just about every religion finds a way to justify killing other people outside their own group.

Warfare - the killing of others - does seem to have more evidence of genetic disposition than does public health. Religion actually seems to have limited this. I'm far less concerned about the group of teenagers coming home from bible study than I am about another group of teenagers.

[Reply] Again, I believe this to be tribal DNA based.

And I believe that you have been conditioned to deny your genetic dispositions. Which is what society does. I've got a two year-old daughter who had told me her whole exactly what humans are genetically programmed to do.

[Reply]Much of the same can be said for incest, stealing, or any one of a number of other "moral" issues that have nothing whatsoever to do with religion.

I see your point on this. But I view it as a social contract - not genetic. My daughter will take anything she can. It aint genetic. I need to condition it out of her.

[Reply]With that in mind and upscaled to a national healthcare system, I can justify in my mind at least the use of the term "moral imperative" when it comes to talking about the sick and injured.

And I can find a justification. But go back to stealing, which you cited. The taking of a thing from one for the benefit of another. You perhaps see a difference when society steals.

I don't.

[Reply]Yes, I do find it to be immoral to just let thousands upon thousands of people die every year simply because they couldn't afford healthcare.

How about those who CHOSE not to get healthcare?

Is it immoral that two people dies in Lodi yesterday? Had they been thrown from the plane then yes. If they chose to exit, then no.

I find it immoral for a person to steal from one to be healthy. No tribe may survive a person who doesn't carry his or her own load. Kids, of course, exempt.

[Reply]If a person doesn't find it immoral, I think they need to question their entire line of thought.

It's a choice, Paul. If you don't find it immoral to take by force a person"s resources then I must questions your line of thought. And taking to ensure our own survival IS genetically ingrained.

Mob rule is genetic. Mob rule increases survivability. Group dynamics.

Fighting the mob? That's a way to die. And the mob always thinks it is the morally righteous.

My wife is hotter than your wife.