Gary73

Question for Fundamentalists

Your answer pretty much sums up the whole problem with the term spiritual. It means absolutely anything you want it to mean and so it is essentially meaningless.

Obviously, at this juncture your statement is true for you. You have stated that you do not hold value for my belief therefore, you would not accept my definition, regardless of what I would say.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

... your God is an evil dictator.

Not logical, you don't believe God exists or has power.

A perfectly reasonable belief, given the available evidence.

So, there is really no point in challenging my belief. Unless of course, you feel the need to play one-ups-manship games. Or, as Dr. Eric Berne described, IGYYSOB.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

So, there is really no point in challenging my belief. Unless of course, you feel the need to play one-ups-manship games. Or, as Dr. Eric Berne described, IGYYSOB.

All the while you (plural) keep your irrational beliefs to yourself and don't try to interfere with others' lives, you are correct. The moment you (plural) start trying to influence legislation and education based on your irrational beliefs then it does become my legitimate concern.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

All the while you (plural) keep your irrational beliefs to yourself and don't try to interfere with others' lives, you are correct. The moment you (plural) start trying to influence legislation and education based on your irrational beliefs then it does become my legitimate concern.

So you DO believe that choice should be available, right?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I never stated that your God exists or has power. I stated that your God (the main character in a fictional book you call your Bible) is an evil dictator. What is not logical about that?
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I am 100% PRO CHOICE.

That is awesome to hear, so you would be a proponent to leaning BOTH creationism and evolution. That is awesome that you have come around.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

"No, we are condemned to spiritual death for not choosing to follow God's plan for spiritual life. "

Wow. What a diseased mindset. You know, I've got a brother who used to claim "energy" powers based vaguely on tai-chi and chinese mysticism. He'd claim he could move your energy around or drain you. In an argument, he'd resort to telling me "I'm draining you" expecting me to weaken or give in, as if I could be affected by such cheap psych tricks. And I'd sit there, unaffected, because it was all in his mind...no draining was taking place of any energy of any kind. Reality stubbornly failed to deliver.
I offer you the same outcome. As an atheist, I concede neither the existence of your god, nor his plans for what you call my spiritual life, nor any condemnation or spiritual death resulting from failure to obey. To use your terms, I have a thriving, colorful and fulfilling spiritual life. I experience joy and elation, looking at trees, birds, clouds, sky, weather... Feel the wind in my face. I spend as much time as I can with friends and loved ones and I have plenty of both and I value them highly and give back and help out whereever I can.
No condemning is taking place, (unless I fuck it up) or will, from any supernatural origin or deities. I am no more obligated to find out about and seek to obey your god's plans than I am the plans of zeus, zoroaster or any other gods from history. The one you're telling people they must obey is no different than the dozens that came before and the ones that will come after. The only difference between theirs, and yours, is that yours is the one thats popular -now-.
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

No condemning is taking place,

Nope - not yet, you are still breathing and still have free will.

I am 100% PRO CHOICE.

That is awesome to hear, so you would be a proponent to leaning BOTH creationism and evolution. That is awesome that you have come around.

Creationism isn't a valid choice. Zero evidence to support it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Your circumlocution wrapped in intellectualization reveals liner thought in a
>unidemensional plane.

You should get your money back for some of those $10 words! Someone sold you a few defective ones.

Ah, you're right. "Liner" should be "linear." Thanks.

>so you would be a proponent to leaning BOTH creationism and evolution.

And Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and Wiccan. Don't forget the Norse creation myths and Dianetics! Can't be elitist and just stick with the popular ones.

As I remember - I believe that craetionism is creation from nothing by an intelligent being. That encompasses everything you have listed with the exception of the first one.

The moment you (plural) start trying to influence legislation and education based on your irrational beliefs then it does become my legitimate concern.

You can count on that. However, at my age it will be more covert than overt.

. The only difference between theirs, and yours, is that yours is the one thats popular -now-.

My belief has exhibited popularity for about 2K years.

Nothing wrong with that. Provided you teach creationism in church and evolution in science class.

Obviously, at this juncture your statement is true for you. You have stated that you do not hold value for my belief therefore, you would not accept my definition, regardless of what I would say.

How do I know what value to place in your beliefs, you won't tell me what tthey are.

Maybe you don't even know yourself.

How do I know what value to place in your beliefs, you won't tell me what tthey are.

Maybe you don't even know yourself.

You may read the statement faith and belief on the CSA membership form at the website. The link is in my signature block.

You may read the statement faith and belief on the CSA membership form at the website. The link is in my signature block.

Done. Nowhere in that statement is there a definition of the term spiritual though, so I'm no closer to comprehending your earlier post regarding spiritual life/death which is unsurprising if the word is as meaningless as I suspect. If someone cannot at least define what they are taking about, it is quite possible that they don't really know themselves.

Rstanley0312 - Like most Christians, you seem to want to choose which portions of the Bible to take literally and which ones to interpret in other ways. That's fine with me, especially since you basically seem to be agreeing with me that the Tower of Babel story can't be literally true.

My original question was addressed to the hard-core Fundamentalists (Would "Literalists" be a better term?) who really do believe that every passage in the Bible must be taken as literally true. We haven't heard from any of them yet. Any takers?

Why don't you make a placard on a stick, and go stand on the corner, next to the fundamentalist, and berate him, all day... Then, you can come home, in the evening, in a self congratulatory way, and tell everyone how you really staightened him out, about his silly thinking.... Isn't that, exactly, what you are trying to achieve, here?

Nowhere in that statement is there a definition of the term spiritual though, so I'm no closer to comprehending your earlier post regarding spiritual life/death which is unsurprising if the word is as meaningless as I suspect. If someone cannot at least define what they are taking about, it is quite possible that they don't really know themselves.

Gee! It seems as though I am giving more info than you can decipher as it is. Maybe this will help.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality

Gee! It seems as though I am giving more info than you can decipher as it is. Maybe this will help.

That wikipedia article highlights exactly what I'm talking about. The term spiritual has as many definitions as there are people claiming to be spiritual. I was hoping you could explain your statement "we are condemned to spiritual death for not choosing to follow God's plan for spiritual life" by giving me your definition of the term spiritual but it seems you can't.

That wikipedia article highlights exactly what I'm talking about. The term spiritual has as many definitions as there are people claiming to be spiritual. I was hoping you could explain your statement "we are condemned to spiritual death for not choosing to follow God's plan for spiritual life" by giving me your definition of the term spiritual but it seems you can't.

Romans 8:5-7 (New King James Version)

5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.

From Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest; August 9th.

Never let common sense obtrude and push the Son of God on one side. Common sense is a gift which God gave to human nature; but common sense is not the gift of His Son. supernatural sense is the gift of His Son; never enthrone common sense. The Son detects the Father; common sense never yet detected the Father and never will. Our ordinary wits never worship God unless they are transfigured by the indwelling Son of God. We have to see that this mortal flesh is kept in perfect subjection to Him and that He works through it moment by moment. Are we living in such human dependence upon Jesus Christ that His life is being manifested moment by moment?