shropshire

Wootton Bassett has the coolest population

This small town in Oxfordshire turns out in force to pay respects to ALL coffins that return from oversees operations.

This truely inspirational sign of respect and support by these wonderful people is simply breathtaking

ThanksB|

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I agree, I have friends in Bassett its a great place and the town should be honoured for its continued respect and loyalty.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

This small town in Oxfordshire turns out in force to pay respects to ALL coffins that return from oversees operations.

This truely inspirational sign of respect and support by these wonderful people is simply breathtaking

ThanksB|

+1

Not to mention that is has double"o", double "t" (twice), double "s", and double-u in its name (but Nether Wallop is my favorite).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

When a fallen Canadian Soldier is repatriated, the body is flown to CFB Trenton, where it is met by friends, family and dignetaries.

After that ceremony the body is transported to downtown Toronto, to the coroners office. This means a long drive along highway 401. That stretch has now officially been renamed: Highway of Heroes. During that drive Canadians pack the overpasses along to the route to pay their respects.

I have been to several of these, and they have a profound impact on those who are there. For some pictures, see the url below. I am sure lots of videos can be found as well, but they are blocked for me at work.

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&safe=active&um=1&q=canadian+repatriation+highway+of+heroes&sa=N&start=0&ndsp=20

The following is an account of one of the Police outriders for the funeral cortege from RAF Lyneham to the John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford for the repatriation of Corporal Jonathan Horne, Corporal Lee Scott, Rifleman William Aldridge, Rifleman James Backhouse, Rifleman Joseph Murphy, Rifleman Daniel Simpson, Rifleman Daniel Hume and Private John Brackpool.

“As you are aware, to take part in each one of these sad occasions is an honour for us. I always find them very emotional and humbling.

Yesterday [14th July] saw the biggest turn out of people paying their respects. The journey for Thames Valley Police from Gable Cross police station to JR* 2 normally takes ¾ hour. Yesterday it took 2 + hours. The Cortège ran at a very slow pace for the entire length of the A420 due to the large numbers, not only in the lay-bys but also the vehicles travelling in the opposite direction, where driver’s got out of their vehicles to pay their respects. Each bridge we passed under was crowded by more people. The ages of the bystanders ranged from very young children to the older generation, some members of the public were in tears as the cortège passed, some held union jacks.

Again as we reached the roads just outside the JR 2, the route was totally lined with people paying their respects.

I must admit there were several occasions along the route where I had to take a deep gulp to enable me to continue on this very, very emotional day.”

Regards

Steve Jenkins PC 4811
Thames Valley police
Abingdon Roads Policing

*John Radcliffe Hospital
Next Mood Swing: 6 minutes

B|

Thanks. It's a task that people would rather not have to do but these kind folks down there are selflessly engaged in supporting the lads/lasses and their families. It shows true strength of character. I for one salut them all.

(.)Y(.)

B|

Thanks. It's a task that people would rather not have to do but these kind folks down there are selflessly engaged in supporting the lads/lasses and their families. It shows true strength of character. I for one salut them all.

You think? It'd seem rather that they feel honoured to do this service.

I posted it as a demonstration of how much support is shown by all. The serving, the retired, the police and the general public. Everyone involved either by purposely going to Wooton Bassett to see the cortege, or by mere accident, passing the eight coffins on the road; showed huge respect. It was incredibly moving.
Next Mood Swing: 6 minutes

I was begining to think that I was in the twilight zone and must have typed jiberish or something:P But seems pretty clear what I meant from the start.... well to me at least.

(.)Y(.)