Andy9o8

Surprise! ACLU Lawsuit Supports Gun Owner's Rights

No change of thought. I said, "We still allow far more effective weapons on planes than box cutters." We was intended as collective we, represented by TSA enforcing security regulations.

I don't disagree with your basic statement, since there are no dangerous weapons, only dangerous people; but again - why the sudden change in what you're willing to use to makeyour point?

I think we mean different things when we refer to dangerous weapons. I'm referring to the effectiveness of a weapon when used, not the danger a weapon poses when not being used.

I haven't changed what I'm willing to use to make my point at all.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

No change of thought. I said, "We still allow far more effective weapons on planes than box cutters." We was intended as collective we, represented by TSA enforcing security regulations.

I don't disagree with your basic statement, since there are no dangerous weapons, only dangerous people; but again - why the sudden change in what you're willing to use to makeyour point?

I think we mean different things when we refer to dangerous weapons. I'm referring to the effectiveness of a weapon when used, not the danger a weapon poses when not being used.

I haven't changed what I'm willing to use to make my point at all.

Then why the crack about "someone that needs a gun to defend against a little old box cutter"? Is that a takeoff on the normal 'penis substitute' and 'too cowardly to fight' memes, or what?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I imagine you'll get one strike before your target grabs hold of your belt to prevent you from hitting him in the head with it...better make that one count.

Not as easy as you might think. I've trained with it. I'm pretty accurate with it. I'm confident that the first strike would stun the target to the point that the second and third would land and make the target simpler to disarm and disable.
--
Rob

still not seeing in what you quoted where it was said that a gun was needed to defend against a box cutter.

If you think that the only weapon that is "more effective" than a box cutter is a firearm of some sort, than you need some more training.

I know some people who are more effective bare-handed than that box cutter might be. I've seen them disarm (airsoft) pistols (holstered) from trainers at 7yd initial range. So open your mind to different weapons and tactics.
--
Rob

If you think that the only weapon that is "more effective" than a box cutter is a firearm of some sort, than you need some more training.

I made no such statement.

I know some people who are more effective bare-handed than that box cutter might be.

So do I.

I've seen them disarm (airsoft) pistols (holstered) from trainers at 7yd initial range.

Which proves that the Tueller Drill is valid.

So open your mind to different weapons and tactics.

Who said it was closed, besides you?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I imagine you'll get one strike before your target grabs hold of your belt to prevent you from hitting him in the head with it...better make that one count.

Not as easy as you might think. I've trained with it. I'm pretty accurate with it. I'm confident that the first strike would stun the target to the point that the second and third would land and make the target simpler to disarm and disable.

You' trained with your belt? really? Wouldn't be my first choice when confronted with a blade wgile unarmed but to each his own I suppose.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Then why the crack about "someone that needs a gun to defend against a little old box cutter"? Is that a takeoff on the normal 'penis substitute' and 'too cowardly to fight' memes, or what?

The will to fight does not generally lie with the gun; it lies with the person. Guns don't kill people; people kill people. If someone is willing to commit a violent act (justified or otherwise), if they don't have access to a gun, they'll use whatever weapons are at their disposal.

Do you disagree?

You' trained with your belt? really? Wouldn't be my first choice when confronted with a blade wgile unarmed but to each his own I suppose.

That's just it. He wouldn't be confronting a blade while unarmed. His belt would be an adequate weapon.

The use of flexible weapons, such as a belt, isn't uncommon. They wouldn't be my first choice, since I haven't trained with them, but I'm well aware of the potential of such weapons.

What I do have training with, and would use confidently if necessary, is yawara sticks. Many common articles can be effectively used as improvised yawara sticks (e.g. sturdy pens, hairbrushes, roll of coins, tightly rolled magazines, etc.). Against a box cutter, I would be happy (well, as happy as one can be when in a position where one must resort to violence) with any of those items as a weapon, although I'm more likely than not to have on my person something that would work even better.

The initial statement was "We still allow far more effective weapons on planes than box cutters." from which you seem to have derived that guns were being talked about. That's where I made my above leap.
--
Rob

I considered mentioning rolled up magazines, but while I've seen those put to use, I've not use them.

How about an 18" nylon strap with an 8oz steel weight on the end? How's that sound? Stick your hand in the loop on one end, hold on to the strap and you have an extra 12-14" of reach with a nice weight on the end.

Google "wilderness instructor belt"
--
Rob

Improvised weapons are great and I'm all for using what's available to you. Afterall you are fighting for your life. However, if you are woefully unprepared to deal with a blade wielding assailant while unarmed, then having any of the improvised weapons the two of you mentioned is not going to result in a significant reduction in advantage for your assailant.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

So would you be fine with local cities/States removing the right to free speech?

Quite a few laws against swearing.

In the US, those that still remain are largely unconstitutional. Over the past 40 years or so, the Federal courts have, quite properly, grown very intolerant of state laws and local ordinances that try to criminalize profanity, or being obnoxious, etc. under the pretext of "disorderly conduct", etc. Most of the time the local authorities get away with it, it's because the people being sanctioned just aren't willing to, quite literally, make a federal case out of it.

The will to fight does not generally lie with the gun; it lies with the person. Guns don't kill people; people kill people. If someone is willing to commit a violent act (justified or otherwise), if they don't have access to a gun, they'll use whatever weapons are at their disposal.

Do you disagree?

I do not - so again, why the crack about gun owners?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The initial statement was "We still allow far more effective weapons on planes than box cutters." from which you seem to have derived that guns were being talked about. That's where I made my above leap.

Gold star for you - now read the NEXT sentence.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I considered mentioning rolled up magazines, but while I've seen those put to use, I've not use them.

How about an 18" nylon strap with an 8oz steel weight on the end? How's that sound? Stick your hand in the loop on one end, hold on to the strap and you have an extra 12-14" of reach with a nice weight on the end.

Did you mean the Wilderness Instructor Belt that is, in fact, HALF the weight you claim, or did you have some other belt in mind?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Did you mean the Wilderness Instructor Belt that is, in fact, HALF the weight you claim, or did you have some other belt in mind?

Maybe he has the optional buckle.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, the problem's electrical.

Maybe he has the optional buckle.

Perhaps - nothing says "I'm a badass" like a skull beltbuckle...and telling people how you can hit them 3 times in the head with it before they can put a hand on you. :P
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Improvised weapons are great and I'm all for using what's available to you. Afterall you are fighting for your life. However, if you are woefully unprepared to deal with a blade wielding assailant while unarmed, then having any of the improvised weapons the two of you mentioned is not going to result in a significant reduction in advantage for your assailant.

with you 100%. unarmed combat skills are very important. Up until now we were discussing improvised weapons, but thread drift happens (hell, this is like the 3rd or 4th drift in this thread alone)
--
Rob

Perhaps - nothing says "I'm a badass" like a skull beltbuckle...and telling people how you can hit them 3 times in the head with it before they can put a hand on you. :P

which is exactly why I don't have the skull buckle. and I never said I'd not get a hand laid on me.
--
Rob

I hope the hypothetical assailant jumps to that same incorrect conclusion. :)
Dual use technologies are a problem long known in foreign policy, thus far without an ideal solution. TSA has dealt with the issue in a limited manner. As an example, I cannot carry on my pool cue, because it could presumably be used as a club. A walking cane, on the other hand, can be carried on.

I do not - so again, why the crack about gun owners?

Could you tell me exactly what "crack" you are referring to, one gun owner to another? To the best of my knowledge, I made no such comment.