warpedskydiver

Do you belive in reparations for slavery?

Hmm people who have never owned slaves paying for people who have never been slaves.

It gets even more confusing if you happen to have ancestors who were both slaves and slave owners. Then you have to pay reparations to yourself.

Nice! Of course since it would be given to you through the government you would pay more in and actually get paid less than you had been taxed to pay yourself.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Okay so let me get this straight.....I must pay for the mistakes of my people I never knew because I am white......by the way there is no one that can be traced back in my family tree that ever owned a slave therefore I should be exempt from such things. But instead I am not. Also, I should be punished and my children should be punished because my parents worked hard and I worked hard to provide for my children?
I can't sue someone because thier grandfather got in a fight with my grandfather and broke his nose so I want money for the medical bills even through they are dead and gone but we can sue all white people because some black people were slaves?
Lets also remember that correlation does not equal cause. You quote statistics that white people have more but there no proof to link this with slavery or descrimination. There is no proof, only assumptions, that this is because money is passed down to white people. It couldn't be that they think they shouldn't have to work for all these things cause they should be getting reparations of some sort? It couldn't be that they beleive they are entitled to things because someone somewhere in their history must have been a slave. On top of this I HATE to even catagorize black people into such ideas! This is a free country and it is proven over and over that if you work hard you can accomplish anything here no matter what.
How can you claim black people are desciminated against to the point they can't make as much or have as much as others when we have a black president (which I, of course, don't like to catagorize him as a black president.....he is the president....what does it matter his color he is still the president!)
For goodness sakes people there are different colors of black people. Go to africa and you will see the numerous and dramatically different colors of "black" people. And guess what, to this day they descriminate against eachother because of the country they are from or the color or particular features!
We are supposed to live in a free country, that means we should (as wrong as it may be) have the right to desciminate! I have religious beleives that prevent me from working on a sunday morning and the government has a law saying my employer cannot descriminate against me for that and they have to make accommidations for me. Why? Why should my employer not be able to chose not to higher me because of this? Besides I wouldn't want to work for someone who would descriminate against me for that anyways!
If we really want to look at slavery and reparations then african americans need to be payed reparations by the tribes that captured them and sold them to "the white man". Reparations should be payed to the black people who were slaves to other black tribes before white people ever came and started buying them. Indians should be payed reparations for being slaves to south africans! Thats where things should start!!

I wish to apologize to all people who were enslaved on this continent. I am sorry my ancestors were not wealthy enough to own slaves. I am sorry they had no friends who owned slaves and probably never met anyone who owned slaves.
That's all they will get from me. Reparations? F that.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

life was good till they started the War of Northern Aggression

now they all want to move South and retire, join town council and the first thing they say is, "you have it all wrong, this is how we did it up north"

well if things were so good up north then why the heck did you leave and come down here? and now you want to bring your ideas and try and screw up what we've got?!?! ;)

If airconditioning had not been invented. they would never have come.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Only if Roman descendants are going to pay reparations for the slavery of my ancestors.

There is a more than likely chance that most of us had ancestors that were slaves at some point in history.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Lets not forget the Egyptians... They owe all the Jews.

Oh, and the English... They owe all the commoners that worked the land.

I may get a paycheck out of this yet!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Would your system of reparations consider the difference between old and new money? Or is everyone with a net worth greater than the net worth of the average black person in America at moment X responsible for paying out? Or how about just all the white people?

my system of 'reparations' would start with a decent minimum wage and a national health service for all citizens - black, white or any other colour :)

That already exists.:|

The difficulty is that there are people out there that do not use the system for gain by WORKING, rather they sit back and claim Poor Meeeee, and walk their lazy asses to the mailbox to pick up that check.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Aside from simply voting "no", I have some questions about why this topic is suddenly being resurrected.

I had to check the date of your original post, to make sure it was 2009 and not 1999, when there was rather a bit of debate over reparations.

I think if anything, especially if you listen to black American teachers, clergy, and other civic leaders, the election of President Obama signals an end to the "age of excuses" and a clear call to young blacks to stay in school, do the work it takes, and tough out the hard stuff.

You're the first person in years I've heard even mention reparations for slavery, what's on YOUR agenda ??

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

You're the first person in years I've heard even mention reparations for slavery, what's on YOUR agenda ??

He posted the poll as a spin off of a prior discussion regarding the Senate resolution apologizing for slavery. It's impossible to post a poll within an existing thread, so he started a new one.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com