JohnRich

Gun Whatzit?

I've got two 270's. They both shoot extremely accurately with near maximum loads. But I have to admit that these loads are too hot. I can only use the brass a few times, before the primers no longer fit tightly. So, I have to throw them out. Yes, there are other pressure signs too.

I've got probably 80 rounds that I need to pull the bullets on and start over.....

I have seen people tuning their ejectors to prevent kissing any optics, wonder if you could do the same but instead of aiming it down, you would be going to the rear. I have also seen brass catcher bags that fit over the ejection port. Cool way of recycling roadside junk and turning it into something useful though.

I have seen people tuning their ejectors to prevent kissing any optics, wonder if you could do the same but instead of aiming it down, you would be going to the rear. I have also seen brass catcher bags that fit over the ejection port. Cool way of recycling roadside junk and turning it into something useful though.

Some people trim coils off the ejector spring, which makes the brass kick out in a different direction. You can do that with an AR-15, for example, to make the brass go forward instead of sideways, so you don't rain hot brass down on your neighbor on the firing line. But I don't like the idea of messing with the engineering - I worry about creating failure-to-eject malfunctions.

I don't like the idea of the brass catcher bags for the same reason - the brass can hit the net bag and ricochet back into the gun, or stovepipe, creating a malfunction. But I don't really know anyone with any experience with those things. And for offhand shooting, it would make your gun progressively heavier, and might introduce some wobble as that bag full of brass swings to and fro under the gun. I don't mind picking my brass up out of the grass, I just don't want to have to hunt for it for 10 minutes.

let me guess
Springfield Armory
M1A1 super match

This one is called a National Match. Yeah, it's a very nice rifle. Maybe my favorite of all. It's about the only one I own that I trust at 1,000-yards. A bunch of 'em will do 600-yards okay, but getting to 1,000 is a rare breed.

Could you explain how a catcher bag would make the gun heavier? I assumed that the rounds were already in the gun and the shells would be lighter after they are fired. Then the bag would be emptied at the same time that you put in the next magazine. Would that make sense?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Could you explain how a catcher bag would make the gun heavier? I assumed that the rounds were already in the gun and the shells would be lighter after they are fired. Then the bag would be emptied at the same time that you put in the next magazine. Would that make sense?

Okay, not really heavier, but it would prevent it from getting lighter by as much, as you shoot. Normally with each round fired, you expel the bullet, powder and brass. But with a catcher, you expel only the bullet and powder, and the brass case is retained in the bag attached to the gun. So the rifle would be heavier than if you let them eject onto the ground, but not heavier than what you started with. And emptying the bag would be another nuisance activity compared to just letting them pop out onto the ground. Of course, it would save the nuisance of collecting your brass from the ground, so it's a trade-off. It might be nice for casual plinking, but for a competitive shooting match, I'm not gong to fool with one - just more stuff to go wrong and get in the way.

Some people trim coils off the ejector spring, which makes the brass kick out in a different direction. You can do that with an AR-15, for example, to make the brass go forward instead of sideways, so you don't rain hot brass down on your neighbor on the firing line. But I don't like the idea of messing with the engineering - I worry about creating failure-to-eject malfunctions.

I don't like the idea of the brass catcher bags for the same reason - the brass can hit the net bag and ricochet back into the gun, or stovepipe, creating a malfunction.

Those things are great for a rifle that your life doesn't depend on. Same with those plastic recoil buffers and accu-wedges. For a gun that only sees range time and not home/personal defense or patrol use, then all of those gadgets and such are kind of fun.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

man if i ever get to spend more time in the states then a summer packing i will definitely be taking up some sort of sport shooting i hate the way our laws are so restrictive over here

keep up the good work guys