TomAiello

Selling San Quentin

Seems like a fine idea to me too. The key would be to ensure the sale would more than offset the cost of building a replacement facility, and there's also the challenge of where to put the new facility anyway. Communities are all NIMBY when it comes to that stuff.

The other challenge would be to keep the legislator's sticky fingers off the funds for their spending sprees, which run rampant...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

"Real estate consultant Stephen Roulac said San Quentin's land could be used for condominiums, parks or community-type buildings.

"We would love to see a performing arts center prospectively here, possibly a museum, possibly a tie-in with a university," he said.

Let's see, prime real estate on the water in Marin County with unobstructed views of San Francisco. Anybody think for one second that the developer jackals would allow anything but top end homes to be built on it? A museum or performing art center? Oh, Stop, my ribs, yer killin me!!! Ha Ha ha ha ha!!!

Did anyone else read this news story?

I love the idea. Why use prime real estate as a prison when you could sell it off and plug holes in the state budget, coincidentally reducing the state's economic signature at the same time.

but it's not clear that you actually can do this.

Building a new prison that houses the worst of felons, without allowing escape, is not easy nor cheap. The same article suggests it would use up the entire sale price. And that's only when you get past the approval process, which would take years, likely decades, given community opposition.

Why is this Senator for it? As a representative for the Central Valley, the most likely new location, his region would benefit from it.

Why is this Senator for it? As a representative for the Central Valley, the most likely new location, his region would benefit from it.

I don't know. It seems like his reputation and previous actions support a more "he really wants to balance the budget" interpretation of his actions.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The same article suggests it would use up the entire sale price.

Even if it broke even, the new tennants would likely generate tax revenue.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Even if it broke even, the new tennants would likely generate tax revenue.

True, some gains there. But it seems unlikely to aid the budget anytime soon, and since the replacement must exist before it can be sold, the state will have to invest the capital costs upfront.

Did anyone else read this news story?

I love the idea. Why use prime real estate as a prison when you could sell it off and plug holes in the state budget, coincidentally reducing the state's economic signature at the same time.

Selling off state property for short term gains is stupid.

I'll admit it's probably not the best use of the property right now, but it's still stupid to sell it off.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Hi Tom,
How fun!! Some years ago a bunch of Indians took over the island and agreed to buy it from the American Govt. for "A handfull of beads' the same deal the Indians made for Manhatten Island in NY several years previous. Well, it all faded into a purple haze and the island still "belongs" to the US Govt. So????? now who "OWENS" the island?? Is it Fed. or Strate property or what??? You can have it for all I care!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

>Anybody think for one second that the developer jackals would allow
>anything but top end homes to be built on it?

Yes. Easy - don't zone it for residential.

if the goal is profit, you have to zone it that way. No one is going to pay that kind of money to build a residential center.

Hi Tom,
How fun!! Some years ago a bunch of Indians took over the island and agreed to buy it from the American Govt. for "A handfull of beads' the same deal the Indians made for Manhatten Island in NY several years previous. Well, it all faded into a purple haze and the island still "belongs" to the US Govt. So????? now who "OWENS" the island?? Is it Fed. or Strate property or what??? You can have it for all I care!!

Pretty sure you're confusing San Quentin with Alcatraz.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Hi quade,
Thanks for the update. Havn't been to either place and either way, you can have em' both for a hand full of beads and/or a hill of beans. So, what are they going to do with all the prisoners if they sell the place, ship em' to 'getmo??
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out