dreamdancer

Nuclear weapons and Israel

Where did I say I would endorse a nuclear first strike? I think Israel having nukes is a good deterrent for other countries invading.

countries that don't have nuclear weapons :)
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

but if they armed them who were they targeted at? who were they threatening with a first strike?

They could target them at their discretion...pick a city...depends on the needs of the moment.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Where did I say I would endorse a nuclear first strike? I think Israel having nukes is a good deterrent for other countries invading.

So, using that argument (and donning the devil's advocate hat) should we give nukes to the PA in the West Bank? Maybe Israel would stop invading, I mean "settling" on their neighbor's land.

But seriously, I think that the best option with regard to the nuke issue is to throw our resources at solving the fusion question. Do that and you can globally ban fissionable nukes. Of course that would mean that we'd have to give up ours, and save probably $50 billion a year;)

But seriously, I think that the best option with regard to the nuke issue is to throw our resources at solving the fusion question.

Whatever country cracks the fusion issue gets to rule to world until the rest of the world catches up. Not just because of weapons but because it solves the energy issue.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

countries that don't have nuclear weapons [Smile]

Damn straight, nuclear weapons are stupid.

The USA public generally don't realise how close the lower half of USA came to nuclear destruction in the Cuba/USSR debacle only a few decades ago.

Those that don't know about it should watch'
'11 Lessons in the Life of Robert McNamara'. From the horses mouth!

Very interesting indeed...
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

So, using that argument (and donning the devil's advocate hat) should we give nukes to the PA in the West Bank? Maybe Israel would stop invading, I mean "settling" on their neighbor's land

Israels intent is not to completely eradicate them from the earth. The ruling party of the Palestinians and Iran has stated their intent is to do just that.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

countries that don't have nuclear weapons [Smile]

Damn straight, nuclear weapons are stupid.

The USA public generally don't realise how close the lower half of USA came to nuclear destruction in the Cuba/USSR debacle only a few decades ago.

Those that don't know about it should watch'
'11 Lessons in the Life of Robert McNamara'. From the horses mouth!

Very interesting indeed...

Anything come from the mouth of McNamara isn't worth much.

Compare the potential worst case from the Cuban crisis to what happened to all of Europe in WWII. Imagine what a conventional WWIII would have claimed in lives and land. You can assert what could have happened, but we already know what the alternative was like, and it was 5-10x than what we got with the cold war.

But seriously, I think that the best option with regard to the nuke issue is to throw our resources at solving the fusion question.

Whatever country cracks the fusion issue gets to rule to world until the rest of the world catches up. Not just because of weapons but because it solves the energy issue.

I see a spiteful world destroying the fusion holder. One could hope for a Star Trek like ending, but I'm less optimistic, for exactly the reason you suggest. One country would try to make everyone its bitch.

But seriously, I think that the best option with regard to the nuke issue is to throw our resources at solving the fusion question. Do that and you can globally ban fissionable nukes.

A world where no one is supposed to have any is far less stable than where everyone has a small number. You can't uninvent the nuke, and it's too easy to make them.

A country like Japan, who has sworn to never go near nukes, knows that if it ever changed its mind, it could have them in extremely short order.

but if they armed them who were they targeted at? who were they threatening with a first strike?

They could target them at their discretion...pick a city...depends on the needs of the moment.

but always at countries that don't have nuclear weapons :)

So, using that argument (and donning the devil's advocate hat) should we give nukes to the PA in the West Bank? Maybe Israel would stop invading, I mean "settling" on their neighbor's land.

things settled down between india and pakistan once they both got nuclear weapons. perhaps it would work here as well :)

So, using that argument (and donning the devil's advocate hat) should we give nukes to the PA in the West Bank? Maybe Israel would stop invading, I mean "settling" on their neighbor's land

Israels intent is not to completely eradicate them from the earth. The ruling party of the Palestinians and Iran has stated their intent is to do just that.

no, they haven't - you just like to think they have (or you just confuse all your enemies with hitler) :)

But seriously, I think that the best option with regard to the nuke issue is to throw our resources at solving the fusion question. Do that and you can globally ban fissionable nukes. Of course that would mean that we'd have to give up ours, and save probably $50 billion a year;)

We've had fusion bombs for the past 56 years now

no, they haven't - you just like to think they have (or you just confuse all your enemies with hitler) :)

Wow. Really? Are you saying that no ranking government official within Iran has called for the destruction of Israel??

i see, it's time to find the worst quote from some petty functionary in some foreign state and compare him or her to hitler?

(and no, iran has not called for 'the destruction of israel' - which sounds very biblical :)

"Iran's position, which was first expressed by the Imam [Khomeini] and stated several times by those responsible, is that the cancerous tumor called Israel must be uprooted from the region."

"It is the mission of the Islamic Republic of Iran to erase Israel from the map of the region."

Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei - Dec 2000...

How's that for 'petty functionary'??

"Iran's position, which was first expressed by the Imam [Khomeini] and stated several times by those responsible, is that the cancerous tumor called Israel must be uprooted from the region."

"It is the mission of the Islamic Republic of Iran to erase Israel from the map of the region."

Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei - Dec 2000...

How's that for 'petty functionary'??

is that really what he said? who did the translation?

what do you think of this plan :)

State of Israel with annexation of Palestinian territories

Currently in Israel, in the debate relating to the borders of Israel, "Greater Israel" is generally used to refer to the territory of the State of Israel and the Palestinian territories, the territory of the former British Mandate of Palestine. However, because of the controversial nature of the term, the term Land of Israel is used.

Annexation of the Palestinian territories (the West Bank and Gaza Strip) is part of the platform of the Israeli Likud party, and of other Israeli political parties. On September 14, 2008 Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert remarked that "Greater Israel is over. There is no such thing. Anyone who talks that way is deluding themselves,".

The same territory, "from the river to the sea", is also claimed as Palestine by the PLO and Hamas.

Hillel Weiss, a professor at Bar-Ilan University, preaches the necessity of rebuilding the Temple and of Jewish rule over Greater Israel. Rabbi Meir Kahane, assassinated Jewish leader and Knesset Member who founded the American Jewish Defense League and the Israeli Kach party worked towards this and other Religious Zionist goals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Israel

is that really what he said? who did the translation?

Kasra Naji - he was an Iranian journalist during the rise of Ahmadinejad

what do you think of this plan :)

Not much. Mostly the rantings of dead extremists and foolish academics.

That hardly compares to every religious and political leader since the Iranian Revolution calling for the destruction of Israel...

Annexation of the Palestinian territories (the West Bank and Gaza Strip) is part of the platform of the Israeli Likud party, and of other Israeli political parties.

this doesn't sound like rantings :)
surely the annexation of the west bank and the gaza strip implies the 'destruction' of the state of palestine?

surely the annexation of the west bank and the gaza strip implies the 'destruction' of the state of palestine?

Not when in the Lukid's own charter, they state...

“The Palestinians can run their lives freely in the framework of self-rule, but not as an independent and sovereign state"

What state of Palestine is this that you refer to?

Oh, lame dodge citing "translation problems" with Iran. Nope, it wasn't a problem with the translation.