Andy9o8

Fox News Uses Bogus Edit to Slam Biden

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/03/16/fox-news-fundamentals/

Fox News Edits Clip To Suggest That Biden Recently Declared ‘Fundamentals Of The Economy Are Strong’

This afternoon, Fox News’s Martha MacCallum introduced a segment highlighting Council of Economic Advisers Chairman Christina Romer’s claim yesterday that the “fundamentals of the economy are sound.” “After weeks of economic doom and gloom, the Obama administration is now singing a slightly different tune,” MacCallum said.

She then played clips of Romer and other administration officials making seemingly positive comments about the current state of the economy. One of the clips was of Vice President Biden saying, “The fundamentals of the economy are strong!” After the segment, MacCallum said, “All right, well the mantra for the weekend is clear, looking at what was said over the course of the shows on Sunday.” Watch it:

[bogus video clip plays]

But the clip of Biden seemingly making a recent remark about the strength of the economy is grossly inaccurate. The Biden statement was actually from last September — during the presidential campaign — when he was quoting Sen. John McCain (R-AZ). Here’s what Biden really said:

Ladies and gentlemen, I believe that’s why John McCain could say with a straight face as recently as this morning and this is a quote, “the fundamentals of the economy are strong.” That’s what John said. He says that “We’ve made great progress economically in the Bush years.”

Watch it: [genuine clip plays]

Apparently, dishonestly rewriting history is perfectly acceptable at Fox now.

Damn liberal media. Can't trust the bastards at all.

Bogus edit, sure. Fox News did it, agree. Slam Biden? Where was Biden being slammed at all?

To me it just looked like they were looking for sound bites to try and make positive reports about the economy. I saw no smearing or slamming of Biden at all. I think you're thread title s a bit off. So is the the point you're trying to make. I'm not saying you're wrong in your opinions, but this is pretty poor evidence.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Fixed the thread title for you.

If you believe Fox News is biased, that's fine. I won't argue your beliefs. If you're going to make claims supporting your opinion, at least use some kind of real evidence.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Where was Biden being slammed at all?

Subtle, but there. Polls showed that during the 2008 presidential election, the Dems won favor with the public by quoting Republicans that said the economy was strong. The majority of people at the time didn't believe the economy was strong, and felt that the Republicans that said that were out of touch with the average American.

So, Fox, who is definitely right-leaning (IMO), shows a misrepresented quote showing Biden as saying the economy is strong. Even fewer people believe that now than a year ago. If people thought that McCain was out of touch for saying it a year ago, they will certainly think Biden is out of touch for saying it now (even though he didn't).
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Feel free to do a google search on the words

fox rbgh

then do a bit of reading. One could expect nothing less of Faux News.

Fair and balanced?
Going to court to ensure that they have the right to knowingly broadcast that which can be proven to be untruthful, is anything but fair and balanced. They went to court to ensure that they could LIE and not be held accountable in any way.

This is a dangerous precedent that is part of why the "Fairness doctrine", in some form, is back in play, to some extent. There must be some level of accountability for truthfulness and fairness on the PUBLIC AIRWAVES. Do not forget that the radio and television stations don't own the broadcast rights. We, the people do. They are granted, on our behalf, by the government. Some level of fair access and truthfulness must be required by law. The "honor" system and the so called "market forces" are not working at all.

This is a dangerous precedent that is part of why the "Fairness doctrine", in some form, is back in play, to some extent. There must be some level of accountability for truthfulness and fairness on the PUBLIC AIRWAVES. Do not forget that the radio and television stations don't own the broadcast rights. We, the people do. They are granted, on our behalf, by the government. Some level of fair access and truthfulness must be required by law. The "honor" system and the so called "market forces" are not working at all.

Not sure I agree with this - all people, including reporters have a skewed view of the world. Ensuring truthfulness would only ensure one person or group's opinion of what the truth is. What is the truth, anyway? It's hard to say about any issue. Video helps ;) What's to say that the judges that decide a network is untruthful are all left or right-leaning and have a different view of things?

I do believe the government owes the public a high degree of truthfulness in reporting facts. I'm not sure it would be good for the private sector.

Edit to add - I consider Fox News fictional anyway. Like watching a comedy spoof of reality.

Agreed. As putrid and unethical as I think FoxNews is, the only thing that should "regulate" its content, aside from its own editorial prerogatives, should be the dynamics of a completely free and independent public marketplace. Anything beyond that would, in my opinion, irreconcilably conflict with the First Amendment.

Fixed the thread title for you.

That title isn't going to cut it. You've got to trim it down if you want someone to read the story. For example, when given the choice between....

a) Fox News edits a misquote to report optimism on the economy and gives the Obama administration the credit for the good news

and

b) Dolly Parton addresses lesbian rumors

which do you think will get the most hits and generate more revenue? I mean, that's what "news" is all about.;)

Truth in news left years ago.

It's all about senationalism and ratings. :(

"Cleaning up the airwaves" is a lost cause as the Internet is the future.

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Good one, but it still pales in comparison to Man gets 90 days in jail in vacuum sex act case

The only reason they're making a stink is that the guy got sex for a quarter. Had he paid $100 for the vacuum, it would have been socially acceptable.

Imitation is flattery I suppose...clicky

[dripping sarcasm]But there is no bias to the left in any media outlet, right? [/dripping sarcasm]

Fox should be ashamed. Such shenanigans by CNN et al are the reason they became popular in the first place.

[barf]
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Imitation is flattery I suppose...clicky

[dripping sarcasm]But there is no bias to the left in any media outlet, right? [/dripping sarcasm]

Fox should be ashamed. Such shenanigans by CNN et al are the reason they became popular in the first place.

[barf]

Well, when you're right, you're right. And you couldn't possibly get more right! Sending a link to Michelle Malkin and making references to media bias is completely appropriate:D

By the way, didn't click on it. I won't give her the $0.001 that it might generate.

If she's incorrect, then by all means prove it. Of course, that's sort of hard to do given extant evidence but by all means try...

:S

But then I'd have to click on the link and listen to/read/watch whatever it was that she said. I'm helping to "let the market sort it out":P