billvon

Way to go Ford and UAW

In a smart move yesterday, the UAW agreed with Ford to cut back some benefits in return for some Ford concessions. (Mainly breaktime, bonuses and COLA increases.) Ford thinks this will allow them to make it through the recession without any government loans.

Hopefully GM (and the UAW employees there) will be able to find a similar compromise. If not, well, Ford may just take over GM's market, and the GM workers may be applying to Ford in the near future.

I like how we are calling them loans. It's almost like we think GM is going to pay them back or something!!! lol

The thing about bailouts is that even if they do payback every penny plus interest, the American people lose out due to the inflationary effect of printing all the dollars used for the bailout. Sort of a hidden tax.

Blues,
Cliff
2muchTruth

If it's approved by the manufacturer, it's TSO'd.

Now I'm not against the Bailout; as an Industrial Engineer, I think that the manufacturing sector of our economy is more important that anybody in Washinton Realizes. I just think that the GM head honchos are going to, in 5 years or so, find some political schmoozebag to get them off the hook for their debts. It's a familiar song that the Execs are all too good at..
=========Shaun ==========

Hopefully GM (and the UAW employees there) will be able to find a similar compromise. If not, well, Ford may just take over GM's market, and the GM workers may be applying to Ford in the near future. Jay Leno will have a free show for all of them.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/18893627/detail.html

At least they'll be able to laugh...:S
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Hopefully GM (and the UAW employees there) will be able to find a similar compromise. If not, well, Ford may just take over GM's market, and the GM workers may be applying to Ford in the near future. Jay Leno will have a free show for all of them.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/18893627/detail.html

At least they'll be able to laugh...:S

No they won't - it's Jay Leno.

If it's approved by the manufacturer, it's TSO'd.

Now I'm not against the Bailout; as an Industrial Engineer, I think that the manufacturing sector of our economy is more important that anybody in Washinton Realizes. I just think that the GM head honchos are going to, in 5 years or so, find some political schmoozebag to get them off the hook for their debts. It's a familiar song that the Execs are all too good at..

Hhmmm, Concessions to keep your jobs.
Now where have we heard that before?
Oh yeah, anyone remember the Chrysler takeover buyout and subsequent closing/gutting of American Motors Corporation a few years ago?
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Ford doesn't deserve the contempt that is due to GM and Chrysler. Things aren't good for them either, but they said they didn't need a bailout yet - they were smart enough to manage their money and have enough in reserves to make it another year. Now they're doing what everyone else is doing - finding creative ways to cut costs. I have a 10-year old F-150, never had a problem with it - great truck, good company. I bought that auto because an older F-150 that I was driving was hit by a semi, and I lived - a smaller car would have been the end of me - but I never had any problems with that truck either.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

The only thing the bailout is, is a political maneuver. GM will inevitably go down but it would look bad for the politicians if it would right now as unemployment is already skyrocketing. It works for them as it's not like they would have to recoup the wasted money...