Andy9o8

Are people entitled to police & fire protection, public schools, driveable roads, etc.?

Bill, I want to challenge you to do a ride along with your local EMS/FD as well as your local PD for one night each. I would like you to see the other side of things. Not the edited for TV reality TV version of things, but all the calls for service. I think you would enjoy it!

i bet it could get a little boring after a while. it would probably get depressing too. i'm imagining stupid drunk after wife-beating stupid drunk.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

Many of the frequent callers aren't the subject of their calls. They're calling in regards to personality conflicts and civil matters. So they aren't arrested, ticketed or otherwise found in a criminal court. They are, however, calling 911 at a minimum of once or twice a week. Many times much more often then that.

If you get a scanner, listen to the FD/EMS channel. You'll hear tone out after tone out for a headache or an upset stomach. People calling an ambulance to take them to the ER for something that they should see a regular doctor about. However, they do not have any sort of insurance and know that the cities will not actively pursue collections on them. This is due to perceived political correctness that has to be adhered by.

Literally 10% of the population in a city are responsible for 90% of the calls for service for emergency responders!

I know just what your talking about Dave. I've been a volunteer firefighter since I was in high school and it just keeps getting worse. As an example just a few minutes ago I came back home after responding to a call for the smell of plastic burning with no sighn of smoke or fire. I knew when I left home it was a B.S. call but someone has to go. It turned out to be a skunk had sprayed somewhere neer the callers home and she never bothered to investigate herself before calling 911. Her lack of responsibility brought out 21 firefighters two engines and the chiefs car. We, the members, don't get paid except for the free dinners and being able to use the empty bay of the firehall as a car wash.

For years now I have been saying instead of having fire prevention day we should have a stupidity mitigation class for the comunity. Over half of the calls we respond to in any year are from people to dumb or in most cases to lazy to solve there own problem.

Or due to the more accurate assessment that it is not worth $25,000 of the city's money to go after someone who has no money. (I mean, if you think that's important, go for it. I just hope you are willing to pay more for that.)

It adds up. If I remember correctly my city wrote off somewhere around $1,500,000 in unpaid ambulance fees last year. My city has 75,000 citizens as of the 2000 census. So image what that is like in a city like Dallas or Nashville or even Chicago!

Bill, I want to challenge you to do a ride along with your local EMS/FD as well as your local PD for one night each. I would like you to see the other side of things. Not the edited for TV reality TV version of things, but all the calls for service. I think you would enjoy it!

DUDE..I would fly to Texas...to do a ride along with Officer TackleBerry...

When is it the absolute craziest full moon heat of the night???:)

While your there, you two could have a marksman competition.

(My money's on the redhead.)
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Inside or outside the cruiser? I don't think B/CS is ready for that level of craziness... :P
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706