rushmc

I Reject Their Stimulus Theories

© 2009 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

The Bush tax cuts sure kept the economy humming along in great shape.

Taxes have little to do with what got us here. Increasing taxes now, would indeed cause more problems though.

The credit markets are the problem, and so far the government infusions of cash and nationalization of banks have accomplished z-e-r-o.

Which is why it needs to be applied elsewhere. The f&cking bankers got us into the mess.

It doesn't need to be applied anywhere.

No matter how you slice it, these massive government infusions will contribute to long term inflation and massive debt. I don't have a problem with deficit spending on an operational basis. I do have a problem when it is done on the conditions of long-term unfunded mandates.

This bailout could be sent to each American, $100,000 each, and the result is hyper-inflation near-term. It could go to targeted industries, and the result is hyper-inflation long-term. This unsecured spending is bad, bad, bad.

Massive tax cuts cost nothing, and do not perpetuate debt if spending is brought in line with Constitutional mandates, and it will provide a real stimulus to the economy and relief to the taxpayer.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

We need to have a trade war with China. that would be the best stimulus this country could get

Can you expand on this?

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

We need to have a trade war with China. that would be the best stimulus this country could get. :| Blue skies!

The buy American clause, if fully implemented will result in a trade war with Canada and Europe. Have a look at the "Smoot-Hawley" act and how stimulative that was for the US. The US is a trading nation. It became the richest nation on the earth by being a trading nation. Retreating behind trade walls that reward inefficiency and mediocrity will not help America.

In the Senate itself, a long sheaf of amendments to the bill were set to come up for a vote, including McCain's attempt to strike out a "Buy American" clause, which U.S. trade partners have branded as protectionist.

Protectionism is not the answer.

The US prospered at the emergence of the fully linked "global" economy, however it did not completely adapt to that global environment -- this occurred at a policy, institutional and industrial level.

Now, a competitive stance with other global entities would be very helpful (and painful, but pain is mandatory, misery is optional). The first step is to get China's currency fully fluid on the world market. We've seen how China's "free-market-centrally-planned" economy is producing sub-par products across the board. We've been attracted to cheap prices, dismayed at the horrific quality in some cases.

In an level trading field, US industry would not need to slash costs 30-40% to compete, higher prices and higher quality would become apparent.

Nationalization and government spending won't create that.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

We need to have a trade war with China. that would be the best stimulus this country could get
Can you expand on this?

Wendy W.
What does this mean to our manufactures? We not only have to compete with slave labor, but also cheap steel prices = fewer American manufactures.I can't buy the raw steel as cheap as china can buy our scrap, ship it home and process it .then machine a finished good and ship it to us. ......Blue Skies

We've been attracted to cheap prices, dismayed at the horrific quality in some cases.

That was true of Japanese goods in the sixties and seventies, and Korean goods in the eighties and nineties. Mexico may be an example of an emerging economy that doesn't make the second step; notice their standard of living has been surpassed by the Koreans as well. I am not sure this is a peculiarity to centrally planned economies. First compete on price, then on quality.

The guy with the biggest army and biggest guns tends to win wars. China has a lot more people, who will work for less. It will win a trade war, because it has goods for less.

Do you buy goods made in China? Because they're cheap, and it's what you can afford? So does most of the rest of America, and the world.

Just because something is satisfying doesn't make it smart. We have to figure out how to compete given reality.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)