timber

Who parachuted 3million to the Somali Pirates

Lord Nelson had the right idea with pirates when he bombarded the Dey of Algiers.

Hang them in the harbors and leave them for the crows - just like in days of olde.

There's actually a proposal now to take the fight to the pirates - on their home bases. Because as long as they are safe there, they'll continue to raid shipping forever. And it takes an inordinate amount of protection, to cover a lot of open sea, when they get to freely choose when and where to attack. So the ultimate solution is to attack the pirates at home and wipe them out. Wipe out their nests, and then you don't have to worry about the open sea anymore.

How many people here are willing to approve of that strategy?

I think it would be reasonable response from the countries whose ships are falling prey to these criminals. I don't think it should cost American dollars or blood unless they're taking over American-flagged ships.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

It is the same argument as for terrorists; The pirate towns are mostly full of poor people who are just trying to survive. They are not pirates, they just go where the jobs are.

I don't think anyone is talking about blowing up entire home towns full of innocent civilians. Just the bases where the pirates hang out and keep their boats. Deny them their boats, and they can't be pirates.

I think it would be reasonable response from the countries whose ships are falling prey to these criminals. I don't think it should cost American dollars or blood unless they're taking over American-flagged ships.

A non-US flagged ship may still be owned by Americans, crewed by Americans, taking goods to or from America, being bought or sold from American firms. (And if it's the flag nations that need to do the protecting, I don't think Liberia will be able to uphold it's share of the workload!)

Not that I'm saying the US has a duty to patrol the region, just that using a ship's flag to determine whether or not to protect it might not be the best strategy.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?