FlyingJ

Fresh game...butcher paper vs. vacuum sealed

I typically process my own deer and package the results using my vacuum sealer. Due to some unexpected travel that came about the same day I got my last deer I ended up taking it to a processor that packaged everything in butcher paper.

My question for y'all...the meat from this deer is probably going to be in the freezer for a while, some probably up to 6 or 8 months. Is it worth repackaging it with the vacuum sealer or will the butcher paper suffice?

Thanks!
jason
Killing threads since 2004.

As long as the meat is wrapped properly it will be fine for 6 months or so. I've never vacuum packed any of mine, always wrapped the traditional way and never had a problem.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Send a PM to WarpedSkydiver, he has lots of experience in this area.
HMMMMM, Venison.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

hehe...well a large portion of this one will end up being given away (or more likely, brought to cook outs).

I was bummed about having to drop this one at a processor, but in the end I'm psyched. Had a pile of it turned into dried sausage that is pretty tasty. The cost was obscene though compared to just buying the supplies to stuff sausage on my own.

I think I may just start the New Year off w/ a big ole backstrap on the grill tonight.

ummmm Deer venison ..... my favourite.

Post modified by the Office of Redundancy Office. :P

err...actually..."venison" can refer to the meat of deer, elk, or similar game...so technically, he was right! :D:D
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

ummmm Deer venison ..... my favourite.

Post modified by the Office of Redundancy Office. :P

Negative .... Deer is not the only venison... Venison is any meat that is hunted.

The etymology of the word derives from the Latin Vēnor (-to hunt or pursue). This term entered English via Norman in the 11th century following the Norman invasion of England, and the establishing of Royal Forests.

Venison can describe meat of any animal killed by hunting.[1] It was originally applied to any animal from the families Cervidae (deer), Leporidae (hares), and Suidae (wild pigs), and certain species of the genus Capra (goats and antelopes), such as elk, red deer, fallow deer, roe deer, moose, reindeer/caribou, pronghorn, brown hare, arctic hare, blue hare, wild boar, and ibex, but its usage is now almost entirely restricted to the flesh of various species of deer.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Cheers mate.

*blows raspberries at both of you*

Common usage today is deer=venison.

I concede the etymology/archaic use point, however.

Let's get back to the operative issue -

"Venison, yum!!!"
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I think I may just start the New Year off w/ a big ole backstrap on the grill tonight.

After I try to help, you go and make a statement like that. Just rub it in, buddy, just rub it in.
I don't even know you and I hate you. :P
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

if you wrap it right, butcher paper is better for long term storage. it seems that about 10% of my fish and game that is vacuum sealed doesn't seal properly, but the leak is so slow that it doesn't show until its been in the freezer for a while. i got throught the freezer every couple of weeks and pick out the stuff that isn't sealed and eat it before it goes bad. i have some elk from 04, as well as deer, moose, and antelope a few years old that is wrapped in butcher paper and is still very good eating.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

Have I mentioned lately just HOW MUCH YOU SUCK??? :P

Ended up making some Thai stir-fry instead. I'll let the backstrap thaw and have it tomorrow. ;)

if you wrap the meat in thin plastic saran wrap it sticks to the meat and there is no air in contact with the meat ,then wrap in freezer paper and it can last over 2 years without getting freezer-burnt.also don't wash the meat before freezing ,the water will soak into the meat and it will freezer burn quicker. if you have some hair or something else just wipe with a dry paper towel or pull off with your fingers its better to rinse the meat after you defrost it

I usually double wrap with butcher paper. I have eaten steaks and hamburger that are three sometimes four years old.

I bought a big meat grinder from Cabella's this year. It's 1 1/2 horse power. Ground up over a hundred pounds of deer with it the other day. It works wonderful. I should have bought one years ago. I usually add a little beef tallow to it, and it tastes great.

I've never stuffed sausages but hope to try that soon. I plan to try making some breakfast sausage next. It's similiar to hamburgerj. You use some pork and spices added to the meat.

We still have some late doe seasons this winter, so I may have to go out and get some more meat.

Good luck on your home meat processing....

The etymology of the word derives from the Latin Vēnor (-to hunt or pursue). This term entered English via Norman in the 11th century following the Norman invasion of England, and the establishing of Royal Forests.

Venison can describe meat of any animal killed by hunting.[1] It was originally applied to any animal from the families Cervidae (deer), Leporidae (hares), and Suidae (wild pigs), and certain species of the genus Capra (goats and antelopes), such as elk, red deer, fallow deer, roe deer, moose, reindeer/caribou, pronghorn, brown hare, arctic hare, blue hare, wild boar, and ibex, but its usage is now almost entirely restricted to the flesh of various species of deer.

Thanks Cliffy.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Couple things. I think it depends on how cold your freezer is. We have a 0 degree; and I think most are made to be used not much below freezing.

My experience is that plastic breathes more than waxed paper. I believe air can pass thru plastic (albeit slowly) but not thru wax.

At any rate, wrapped in waxed paper (which I think is what heavy duty freezer wrap is), and stored at 0, our experience is that you can easily go over a year.

A Google search should easily net you the opinions of health/nutrition experts.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley