tbrown

Sockin' It to Hamas

Its amazing when you base your opinion on actual experience and not episodes of 24.

oh really,,,
and how many times have you been to Gaza, Israel or the rest of the places you speak of so much with so much confidence?

do you want me to scan my passport? or actually, what passport should I scan? I carry two, one with Israeli stamps and one without...

I'm sorry but you can’t back this with factual history.

oh, I can, and very easily...

look at the comparison of military might in past major wars:
(this is from wikipedia, they sometimes compare apples to oranges, but I think its pretty close...)
1948-49
Israel:
29,677 initially rising to 115,000 by March 1949. This includes the entire military personnel count- both combat units and logistical units.

Arabs (Only forces sent to the former British mandate, not all of the military)
Egypt: 10,000 initially rising to 20,000
Iraq: 5,000 initially rising to 15–18,000
Syria: 2,500–5,000
Jordan: 6,000–12,000
Lebanon: 1,000 initially rising to 2,000[2]
Saudi Arabia: 800–1,200
Arab Liberation Army: 3,500-6,000

Israel:
264,000 (incl. 214,000 reserve troops)
300 combat aircraft
800 tanks

Egypt:
Syria, Jordan, and Iraq:
957 combat aircraft
2,504 tanks

Israel:
415,000 troops,
2,300 tanks,
3,000 armored carriers,
945 artillery units,[2]
561 airplanes,
84 helicopters,
38 Navy vessels[3]

Egypt: 800,000 troops (300,000 deployed, 80,000 crossed), 1,700 tanks (1,020 crossed),2,400 armored carriers, 1,120 artillery units,[2] 400 combat aircraft, 140 helicopters, 104 Navy vessels,
Syria: 150,000 troops (60,000 deployed), 1,400 tanks, 800–900 armored carriers, 600 artillery units, 350 airplanes, 36 helicopters, 21 Navy vessels,
Iraq: 60,000 troops, 700 tanks, 500 armored carriers, 200 artillery units, 73 airplanes,

Never, ever have the Arabs been able to "take on" Israel and the US,

first of all, the US has NEVER actively faught in any of these wars.
it did supply Israel with crucial supplies (especially in 1973).
on the other side, the USSR did the same for the arab counries and they received equipment, training and consulting from the Russians.

So, in pure numbers and equipment, Israel is outnumbered, the US aid to Israel is pretty much the same as the Arabs got from the Russians (and today Egypts gets pretty much the same from the US as Israel)
so, there you go...
facts...
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

Well on the plus side Ori... the Jordanians and the Egyptians did get tired of getting their asses kicked and were smart enough to make peace. I am sure they do not love that fact but at least they are not as GOAT FUCK STUPID as the others surrounding your country who cant face reality.

Maybe someday cooler heads will prevail and Gaza will be a resort destination on the Med. Your people have far more in common with the Palistinians than differences.. as do most people once they decide to see the similarities rather than the differences.

Well Ori. I have lived about half my life in the Middle East and half my life in the west. i didn't go site seeing i actually lived their and experienced the different cultures. I have a bunch of trips here and there but i can't really count the one week here or there as you doin't get much of the culture.

What i find amazing and what i was commenting on is something i have noticed. Most people who have experienced a different culture and had a chance to reside in it for a while realize the same thing. That most of us are the same, we want the same things. I have always mentioned this it was refreshing to see some on else actually understand it as well. The people who do are usually people who have actually resided in another culture. The people who have not tend to think some people are so different and they are so much better.

We have so many on here who want to paint some people as naturally born violent to me that is nothing more then ignorance. Most of us are a product of our experiences, and our environment.

oh really,,,
and how many times have you been to Gaza, Israel or the rest of the places you speak of so much with so much confidence?

As for Gaza or Israeli some how i get the feeling i would not be allowed to enter. I know a few American born Christian visitors who had 12-18 hr interviewees before they were allowed to enter. I know i can not enter with my Iranian passport, and even my US passport 9i have had it for only 4 years) says i was born in Iran do you really think your government would allow me in?

Israel is not a open country to Muslims or anyone who might show them in a negative light. They are very good at making sure no one sees what they truly stand for.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Well thanks for the explaination, I guess now we can disband the International Criminal Court. :S Sorry but its a war all war is a crime is not a valid excuse.

When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Well Ori. I have lived about half my life in the Middle East and half my life in the west.

yes, but not as an Israeli, Israeli Arab or a Palestinian.
in may of your posts you miss the important differences between them.
My point is that you may have the same "problem" when commenting about these issues as the people you say have never been to the middle east.

living only in the US, living in Iran and living here in Israel have advantages and disadvantages that affect your (and my) ability to both see the different cultures and have a certain bias.

We have so many on here who want to paint some people as naturally born violent to me that is nothing more then ignorance. Most of us are a product of our experiences, and our environment.

I agree, but at the end, we all have a choice.
our choices define us.

Well thanks for the explaination, I guess now we can disband the International Criminal Court. :S Sorry but its a war all war is a crime is not a valid excuse.

That's whats most disturbing the hypocrisy and the wiggling some do to justify all the violations of international laws Israel has repeatedly committed. I am sure there were people making excuses for the Nazi party at a time as well.

This is a classic case of the abused child growing up to abuse children maybe they didn't get to therapy soon enough. What ever the cause it is a sad case for all.

I am sure there were people making excuses for the Nazi party at a time as well.

you really can't see the difference?
I mean, really, are your claims so weak that this is what you need to rely on?

I honestly hope that neither you, nor the palestinians (nor anybody else) would face a situation were they are hunted down and killed for their race

not for land, not for difference of culture, not for resource and not for politics.

there are examples where the killing took the scale of a genocide (The Armenians,Bosnia, Rwanda, etc.) and even there the dispute is over land or culture.
can you really not see the difference between that and a systematic destruction of a religion, going across nations, countries and cultures?

My point is that you may have the same "problem" when commenting about these issues as the people you say have never been to the middle east.

I agree that i don't know as much as people who have been living in Israel, and Gaza. However i feel i understand the culture much better then someone who has never lived in the Middle East and have been exposed to more sources for information then what is available in the US (not saying they have more facts they just show the other side). This is a subject i have spent a great amount of time on it is mainly because i can't believe it is happening over and over. In my opinion there was a huge injustice done to the Palestinians.

We have goon back and froth about who started what and when. We just disagree.
I would never wish harm on you or the Israeli people. I would never make or have made a blanket statement "lets kill them all". I find these statements are made by fools who view themselves as geniuses.

However if you are going to use a standard to justify right and wrong you must apply that standard equally to all. When you change and apply different standards depending on who committed the act we have hypocrisy.
Also as i have mentioned before the media here is a joke and has always been a joke when it comes to Israeli. The Israeli news papers printed in Israel are less bias.

I have yet to see one person on here say HAMAS is doing a great job, or kill all the Israelis. Yet you see that said often on the other side.
I have yet to see one person say it is ok that hamas is killing civilians, all we acknowledge is the fact that they are mush less capable and less sophisticated then the IDF. Yet all you hear is excuse after excuse when the IDF violats rules of war.

you really can't see the difference?
I mean, really, are your claims so weak that this is what you need to rely on?

Not in numbers but In philosophy they are the same.
The idea that a group is better or is entitled to something because of there religion or race and others are not, the practise of segregation, no respect for international laws, GAZA is basically a prison colony.

Just look at a check point at 3am while the Palestinians are waiting to cross over so they can do the jobs that the Israelis don't want to. its like a slave colony. I say in some ways in the crushing of the humane spirit it is even worst. 60 years that's a life time of dealing with injustice. i honestly don't know how one could not lose their mind.

However i feel i understand the culture much better

that's my point, YOU feel. I'm sure THEY feel the same.
what you consider "seeing both sides" looks pretty one sided from where I'm standing.
you might be as guilty as the people you accuse...

Also as i have mentioned before the media here is a joke and has always been a joke when it comes to Israeli. The Israeli news papers printed in Israel are less bias.

Again, I see the foreign press as biased to the other side, looking for the story that sells rather than looking at the reasons behind it.
no point in debating this, its a matter of opinion.

I have never said "let's kill them all" not have I supported people saying that here.
but, just like you want people to make the difference and not use "all", you have to accept the fact that there is a huge difference between the Palestinians as a people and Hamas which is nothing more than a terror organization, causing more damage to the Palestinians than to Israel.

you turn into a "saint" anyone that fights Israel, no matter why, how or what for.

Not in numbers but In philosophy they are the same.

That simply shows your lack of understanding of what happen during WWII and what's happening now.
all I can say is that it makes me sad...

The idea that a group is better or is entitled to something because of there religion or race

from the decleration of independence of Israel:

it will ensure complete equality of social and political rights to all its inhabitants irrespective of religion, race or sex; it will guarantee freedom of religion, conscience, language, education and culture; it will safeguard the Holy Places of all religions;

now, even if you think that Israel don't practice its own rules, I suggest you google the Nurnberg race law and then tell me if you see a difference or not.

Just look at a check point at 3am while the Palestinians are waiting to cross over

as opposed to the border crossing between the US and Mexico or any other country?

again, you mix Palestinians who are NOT israeli citizens and Israeli Arabs which are citizens with the same rights as I have (but dont serve in the army)

that's my point, YOU feel. I'm sure THEY feel the same.
what you consider "seeing both sides" looks pretty one sided from where I'm standing.

Its not just a feeling in my gut it as international law.
Like i said before it seems people want to wiggle and twist the laws to their convenience. So i might feel sorry for the Palestinians as i see them as the oppressed and the weak, but i also can easily factually see the international laws that have been repeatedly violated. I can see that if it was not for the US vetoing every thing the UN has ever tried to do Israeli might be much more restricted or would have to compromise, i can see the capability of HAMAS and the IDF.

Again this is like Tyson beating up a baby and there are people cheering for mike. I just don't get it.

I know you have not said kill them all. You show great restraint considering where you are. However you commented on my post about people who form opinion because of episodes of 24. Basically your making my point. You who are directly effected by what is going on can understand how these statements are ignorant but people who have never experienced or lived on location seem to think they know enough to justify genocide.

Again that's was my point. The people making blanket statement should SHUT THE FUCK UP and read a book or go travel a bit and maybe even learn something.

No matter hwat we will never agree. I hope you stay safe and they all some day find justice and peace.

We have snow i think i am making chilli.

That's what you cherry-pick so you can spin? Glad I took the time to compose a careful post.
That's why MidEast threads are a waste of energy - they're just vorteces that suck in everything without discrimination, and give back nothing productive.

The Palestinians may have legitimate greivances against Israel, but that does NOT excuse what Hamas did.

Hamas is deliberately using the Palestinians as pawns. Hamas was firing rockets from civilian areas knowing FULL WELL what would happen. And Hamas was hoping to capitalize on the civilian collateral damage that they knew would happen when Israel finally retaliated. THAT is a fact that Darius is glossing over.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------