Darius11

Jesus- his philosophy- and Human enlightenment.

The notion of "survival of the fittest" applies well to animals, but as humans we are much more intelligent than that.We understand that every human being has worth and therefore should be respected for simply being human. This helps our species “evolve” at a different level that that of the other animals on this planet.

Really?
Maybe you and I understand and believe that every human has worth and should be respected. But have you looked at the rest of the world? People in places like Irac, North Korea, numerous countries in Africa and any where in the world that oppress their own people in any way, don't have the same respect and values in regards to human life
that we have. There are far to many people in this world that think nothing about the wholesale slaughter of innocent neighbours who may not think the same way or worship the same god.
If "we" as a species are going to evolve there is a LONG road ahead.
All I can say is "Be Excellent to One Another"

Willy
growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

take 'Jesus' out of it and replace it with 'common sense' or 'good ethical behavior' and you have the same argument.

You do not need the teachings of one man to come to the same conclusions as he did or does. But if that is how you finally get there, then so be it......

take 'Jesus' out of it and replace it with 'common sense' or 'good ethical behavior' and you have the same argument.

You do not need the teachings of one man to come to the same conclusions as he did or does. But if that is how you finally get there, then so be it......

do you believe this is true of Jesus's teaching? That it is ultimately about just good common sense & ethics?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

yes I do. If you made Jesus out to be a politician instead of the 'son of god', he would be somewhat left of center with some decent views on social justice and sharing, caring,feeding the poor, etc..

It all got fucked up when someone decided he was the 'chosen one'

hundreds of millions of people over centuries have come to the same conclusions without ANY divine intervention.......myself included.....

I think Jesus knew exactly what would happen after he left the earth in a physical form. he said what would happen in the Bible. If you read the Bible you'll notice that he isn't quoted allot but where he is its interesting. This is the most acurate thing he said:

Not Peace but Division (Luke 12, 49:53)

49"I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! 50But I have a baptism to undergo, and how distressed I am until it is completed! 51Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. 52From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. 53They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law."

It says it all.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

49"I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! 50But I have a baptism to undergo, and how distressed I am until it is completed! 51Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. 52From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. 53They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law."

Maybe Jesus went to thanksgiving with my family.:D
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain