NotBond

This is friggin nuts!

a roof over head, hmm i'm not ok with that. some truck drivers don't have a home,(they are never home and no one to take care of it) but yet pay taxes just like us. i feel you must be a tax payer and a active member of our society.
but who am i? this is just my two bitsB|

guess what's 250 lbs and flys like a brick? me

a roof over head, hmm i'm not ok with that. some truck drivers don't have a home,(they are never home and no one to take care of it) but yet pay taxes just like us. i feel you must be a tax payer and a active member of our society.

I think if you work for Micky D's and while you might pay taxes, but you get every penny of it back at the end of the year, you should still have a right to vote.

I think one should have to serve one term in the military (any branch) to be able to vote. If you dont defend it, you dont get a say in how its run.:|

That kind of thinking worked really well in WWI, didn't it?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I dont know. I wasnt there and dont remember reading anything about that being some sort of policy.

Thought not.

Anyhow, by WWII our leaders had concluded that there were certain individuals whose talents were too valuable to risk in the infantry, so they sent them off to do things like developing radar, nuclear bombs, electronic computers for breaking enemy codes, asdic (sonar), better torpedoes, jet engines, navigation aids, and thwarting the Nazis efforts to do the same.

Now you may think the contributions of people like von Neuman, Turing, Randall and Boot were insignificant to the point of denying them the vote, but they had a far greater effect on shortening the duration of the war than your average grunt (or even your average general).

I think one should have to serve one term in the military (any branch) to be able to vote. If you dont defend it, you dont get a say in how its run.:|

At least give Heinlein the proper attribution here. (or the screenwriter for Starship Troopers)

I think Kallend has covered the poor wisdom in such a strategy.

Constitution eleminates any requirement to pay taxes. The 24th amendment was aimed at poll taxes but indicate 'other tax'. SCOTUS would have to detemine if that applies to income tax, property tax, sales tax etc. but seems clear to me.

Amendment 24 - Poll Tax Barred. Ratified 1/23/1964. History

1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

At least give Heinlein the proper attribution here. (or the screenwriter for Starship Troopers)

Absolutely. Hell, even Heinlein, in later years, tried to pretend that wasn't what he really meant.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Thats what origionally gave me the idea, but I really couldn't find any flaw with it.

Back to the subject at hand though how does one ensure that whomever IS voting is a US citizen? Say the bum on the street for example. He should still be able to vote if he is a legal citizen, but how does he prove it? Furthermore, how would you keep illegals from voting in the US while letting the bum who was born and raised here in the US and is, by law, a citizen vote?
Muff #5048

Thats what origionally gave me the idea, but I really couldn't find any flaw with it.

Back to the subject at hand though how does one ensure that whomever IS voting is a US citizen? Say the bum on the street for example. He should still be able to vote if he is a legal citizen, but how does he prove it? Furthermore, how would you keep illegals from voting in the US while letting the bum who was born and raised here in the US and is, by law, a citizen vote?

I'm sure hundreds of thousands of illegals are planning to try to vote, thereby exposing themselves to the risk of being arrested and subsequently deported. Yup, that would make a whole lot of sense, always keep a high profile and draw attention to yourself.

Constitution eleminates any requirement to pay taxes. The 24th amendment was aimed at poll taxes but indicate 'other tax'. SCOTUS would have to detemine if that applies to income tax, property tax, sales tax etc. but seems clear to me.

Amendment 24 - Poll Tax Barred. Ratified 1/23/1964. History

1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

look i'm not trying to see who has the biggest brain here. What i was trying to say is, i (me) feel that any one who is an tax payer and or a active member of our society. should be able to vote even if he or she does not own a home or have "a roof over their head". the key word is me (i) not any other person. as for the laws hmm, for every law made there is one that conflicts with it.(a loop hole)
guess what's 250 lbs and flys like a brick? me

The massive loss of life and limb in Starship Troopers didn't suggest a problem with that solution?

I view that scifi as a product of the time it was written in, and find it very interesting in that regard, but as an actual desirable model for society, not a chance.

I think if you work for Micky D's and while you might pay taxes, but you get every penny of it back at the end of the year, you should still have a right to vote.

The problem here is that electing people who spend too much has no appreciable immediate direct impact on most voters.

30% of working individuals pay no income tax. It appears in their best interest to vote for candidates that will kick thousands of dollars back to them.

Positive tax rates don't start until the middle quintile, where an average 6% effective income tax rate isn't much of a disincentive to spend more.

Taxing some people would literally lead to starvation if they complied with the tax code, but something needs to be done to close the feedback loop.