Lucky...

More Palin abuse of power..... what's new?

Appreciate the PA though - it's always nice to get one from a moderator

Comments like this irk me. Next thing you'll be telling us that Paul runs around with Ayers ;)

Why does Paul run around with Ayers?

And why won't he tell us what he's hiding?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Fascinating interpretation of Article I of the Constitution from Palin:

"A vice president has a really great job because not only are they there to support the president's agenda, they're there like the team member, the teammate to the president. But also, they're in charge of the United States Senate, so if they want to they can really get in there with the senators and make a lot of good policy changes that will make life better for Brandon and his family and his classroom. And it's a great job and I look forward to having that job.”

Appreciate the PA though - it's always nice to get one from a moderator

Comments like this irk me. Next thing you'll be telling us that Paul runs around with Ayers ;)

I'm sorry, I was unaware that the moderation team was held to different standards than the posters.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

There is a very easy solution to this argument..
Mnealtx should go green.

Forget the US election; MNEALTX FOR MODERATOR :P

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I'm sorry, I was unaware that the moderation team was held to different standards than the posters

Typically only by disgruntled posters ;)

I see - so billvon was wrong in warning me when I suggested that kallend audit an English 101 class?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

There is a very easy solution to this argument..
Mnealtx should go green.

Forget the US election; MNEALTX FOR MODERATOR :P

+1

+2 - We need "fair and balanced" moderation.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

*sigh* Mike......nevermind, it's pretty clear this is a waste of my time.

Yes, it evidently is - I happen to expect the mods to follow the same rules as they enforce.

You just keep on trucking and feeling like the mods are out to get ya. (rhymes with 'You betcha!" :P)

I've said nothing about mods "being out to get me" - that's all on YOUR dime.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Fascinating interpretation of Article I of the Constitution from Palin:

"A vice president has a really great job because not only are they there to support the president's agenda, they're there like the team member, the teammate to the president. But also, they're in charge of the United States Senate, so if they want to they can really get in there with the senators and make a lot of good policy changes that will make life better for Brandon and his family and his classroom. And it's a great job and I look forward to having that job.”

Don't bother Kallend, they're too busy debating the impartiality (and alleged lack thereof) of moderators to slip back into the usual partisan flaming matches!
:D
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

they're in charge of the United States Senate

And your point is, what? That the President of the Senate really *isn't* a duty of the VP?

By Constitutional title only. The VP does NOT set policy for the Senate. The VP does NOT set the agenda for the Senate. The VP RARELY attends meeting of the Senate. The VP has no real power at the Senate other than as a tie breaker. This has happened a total of 242 times; far less so in recent history as in the early history of the US.

The last time a VP tried to assert his "authority" over the Senate was when LBJ tried to do so in the 1960s. He quickly found out it wasn't really possible. I seriously doubt Palin would fair any better.

GREAT article HERE.

In pertinent part;

Vice-Presidential Duties

The framers also devoted scant attention to the vice president's duties, providing only that he "shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be evenly divided" (Article I, section 3). In practice, the number of times vice presidents have exercised this right has varied greatly. John Adams holds the record at 29 votes, followed closely by John C. Calhoun with 28. Since the 1870s, however, no vice president has cast as many as 10 tie-breaking votes. While vice presidents have used their votes chiefly on legislative issues, they have also broken ties on the election of Senate officers, as well as on the appointment of committees in 1881 when the parties were evenly represented in the Senate.

The vice president's other constitutionally mandated duty was to receive from the states the tally of electoral ballots cast for president and vice president and to open the certificates "in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives," so that the total votes could be counted (Article II, section 1). Only a few happy vice presidents — John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Martin Van Buren, and George Bush — had the pleasure of announcing their own election as president. Many more were chagrined to announce the choice of some rival for the office.

Several framers ultimately refused to sign the Constitution, in part because they viewed the vice president's legislative role as a violation of the separation of powers doctrine. Elbridge Gerry, who would later serve as vice president, declared that the framers "might as well put the President himself as head of the legislature." Others thought the office unnecessary but agreed with Connecticut delegate Roger Sherman that "if the vice-President were not to be President of the Senate, he would be without employment, and some member [of the Senate, acting as presiding officer] must be deprived of his vote."

Under the original code of Senate rules, the presiding officer exercised great power over the conduct of the body's proceedings. Rule XVI provided that "every question of order shall be decided by the President [of the Senate], without debate; but if there be a doubt in his mind, he may call for a sense of the Senate." Thus, contrary to later practice, the presiding officer was the sole judge of proper procedure and his rulings could not be turned aside by the full Senate without his assent.

The first two vice presidents, Adams and Jefferson, did much to shape the nature of the office, setting precedents that were followed by others. During most of the nineteenth century, the degree of influence and the role played within the Senate depended chiefly on the personality and inclinations of the individual involved. Some had great parliamentary skill and presided well, while others found the task boring, were incapable of maintaining order, or chose to spend most of their time away from Washington, leaving the duty to a president pro tempore. Some made an effort to preside fairly, while others used their position to promote the political agenda of the administration.

During the twentieth century, the role of the vice president has evolved into more of an executive branch position. Now, the vice president is usually seen as an integral part of a president's administration and presides over the Senate only on ceremonial occasions or when a tie-breaking vote may be needed. Yet, even though the nature of the job has changed, it is still greatly affected by the personality and skills of the individual incumbent.

Emphasis mine and why ultimately things are done the way they are now.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Thanks for the reply -

I saw the entire quote more as a working with the Senate (as she said) rather than the 'bull in the china shop' 'you will respect my authoritay' scenario you describe.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Well, let's look at a bit more of what she said for a somewhat fuller context;

But also, they're in charge of the United States Senate, so if they want to they can really get in there with the senators and make a lot of good policy changes . . . "

I really don't see how there's any other way to interpret that. It certainly seems as if she believes the VPs can, with respect to the Senate, somehow control the agenda, " . . . if they (the VPs) want . . . ."

That's simply not supported by the current rules of the Senate.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

And your point is, what? That the President of the Senate really *isn't* a duty of the VP?

"IN CHARGE"?

ZOMG - she didn't use approved lib-speak!!! Sound the alarms!!!!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

"IN CHARGE"?

ZOMG - she didn't use approved lib-speak!!! Sound the alarms!!!!

If Biden had said it, you'd be ALL OVER IT, and you know it.

"IN CHARGE"?

Oh, relax. She simply meant that she'd be charging new clothes for all the Senators at Sak's Fifth Avenue. You have to admit, the Senate is pretty stuffy.

"IN CHARGE"?

Oh, relax. She simply meant that she'd be charging new clothes for all the Senators at Sak's Fifth Avenue. You have to admit, the Senate is pretty stuffy.

Thanks for the clarification:D Since the economy is "fundamantally strong" I'm sure we can afford that.