jacketsdb23

Cut away w/ Pilot Chute in Tow?

>I guess i might be missing something but if your under a reserve with
>forward motion and your main falls from your container and starts to open
> behind you but is not attached to you how will that foul your reserve.

If your main container is going to open after a PC in tow, it will most likely do so when pressure is relieved (i.e. just as the reserve PC launches.) Your main and reserve will then begin opening together. If you have cut away your main, it will have to travel through the area that your reserve is opening in, slack lines and all; that can present an entanglement hazard.

>I rather land with one canpoy.

That's fine. But you have a device on your rig that will give you a two-out under some conditions, so best to consider how to deal with that.

>History has shown that people have made mistakes with two out because its unpredictable.

History has shown that people make mistakes with two-out situations because they mess with them (try to force downplanes and whatnot.) CRW experience can help avoid these mistakes - which is why I recommend some CRW experience to everyone who uses an AAD.

if your under a reserve with forward motion and your main falls from your container and starts to open behind you but is not attached to you how will that foul your reserve.

To add another dimension to Billvon's post:

3 Ring release systems have been known to NOT release in various situations following a cutaway. It is possible that the 3 Ring will not release the opening main in time to not interfere with the reserve. The hesitation in release could result from insufficient drag or a 3 Ring assembly that is not releasing properly and could very well result in an entanglement - I would rather be under 2 parachutes.

2 out is an easily handled situation if the jumper is prepared (through continued training) and remains calm. I have seen both successful and not so successful descents under 2 parachutes and 100% of the not so successful category was due to the jumper not handling the situation correctly and without panicking and the landings produced serious injuries. The not so successful group all fit into the category of individuals who failed to continue to train on a regular basis through-out their skydiving careers.

_
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

>But I wonder how many experienced jumpers, while going through 2k
>at terminal with a main that won't come out, will go straight to silver.

In my experience - very few. People generally do what they train to do, and I've never seen anyone practice just going for their reserve handle.

Can't say what I would do now, but facing a hard pull on jump 23, I went straight to silver.

One of my concerns is that during all this packing of mains, where we argue over the obvious things like "who is responsible for stowing the brakes?"... who is checking the overall condition of the main?

I see a lot of people that use only packers, (almost can't pack for themselves) don't know their own gear, and don't specifically know whether their rigger is checking their main.

KNOW YOUR GEAR!
When the SH!T hits the fan, your packer/rigger/instructor won't be there. Its just you and a count-down clock... how are you going to handle this?

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

It might be off subject, but talking about having two out... I saw a low pull and cypres fire at the ranch once. He was flying under his main with his res pc behind him. The crazy fuck pull in the res pc in, then cutaway and through out pc like a base jump. He then landed in the trees with an open canpoy but boy was that sporting.
Track high, Pull LOW!!!

It might be off subject, but talking about having two out... I saw a low pull and cypres fire at the ranch once. He was flying under his main with his res pc behind him. The crazy fuck pull in the res pc in, then cutaway and through out pc like a base jump. He then landed in the trees with an open canpoy but boy was that sporting.

Well sh!t... if your going to do that, tie the reserve PC to the main riser and have a cheap-man's version of a skyhook.

Balls man... big brass ones :o

For me, I think I would have tucked it between my legs and GENTLY landed the main.

JW

For me, I think I would have tucked it between my legs and GENTLY landed the main.

That's what I did with a 2-out. Worked just fine and I would recommend doing it.

Jerry

Unfortunately the one chance I had to do this was only made known to me by the sound of the freebag coming off the canopy... at a demo... over powerlines... down wind of the field...

JW