bigdad510

Reserve Pop in Aircraft

Seat Pack rated Master Rigger here !!!!!! Have serviced several makes/models of the seat pack. Bring it !!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Let's lay our dicks on the table!
Hah!
Hah!
While FAA DPRE Dave DeWolf may have taught me the basics of packing seat packs - and signed off my "seat" endorsement - it was really Manley Butler who taught me the details. My year with Butler Parachute Systems was the most intense learning experience of my life. That year, I learned more about rigging - specifically PEPs .... Manley insisted on me packing EVERYTHING that came through the shop. By everything, I mean every PEP ever made in the USA (Butler, GQ Security, Irvin, National, North American Aerodynamics, Mills, Para-Flight, Para-Innovators, Para-Phernalia, Pioneer, Strong, etc.), as well as some exotic military stuff made in Britain, Yugoslavia and South Africa.

My second task at Rigging Innovations was packing Aviator prototypes and I even got to do a few test jumps on Aviators.
Later on, I worked for Para-Phernalia and learned some of the finer points of production sewing.
Ironically, these days customers rarely bring me seat packs made by Butler or Para-Phernalia. They are far more likely to bring me Strong or National seat packs.

Sounds like a few bad decisions compacted by occasional bad luck, saved by attentive fellow jumpers. This seems to reinforce two things, which luckily my DZ hasn't had any problem with: following proper takeoff procedures with regards to the jump door, and doing gear checks as if you'll die without them... because you might.

To clarify here, FARs say the door must be closed on taxi, takeoff and landing, correct? 300 feet is still very much takeoff. Unless those flaps are retracted, you're still on takeoff. As for gear checks, I would think that would be self-explanatory, but apparently not everyone lives with the same safety standards. Luckily this didn't end up worse.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

To clarify here, FARs say the door must be closed on taxi, takeoff and landing, correct?

That it not correct. The FARs state seatbelts must be worn during taxi, takeoff, and landing. Doors are not required to be closed, and certain aircraft have an open cabin and don't even have doors.

I agree that having the door closed during takeoff is good procedure, and should be kept closed until at least 1000' after all seatbelts are removed.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative