JohnRich

No guns in Chicago = War zone

News:
Nearly 125 Shot Dead In Chicago Over Summer

An estimated 123 people were shot and killed over the summer. That's nearly double the number of soldiers killed in Iraq over the same time period.

In the same time period, an estimated 245 people were shot and wounded in the city.

The latest report shows that the murder in the city is up 18 percent from last year. From January-July, the department reports 291 people were murdered, compared with 246 for the same period in 2007.
Source: CBS2

It's all okay though, because a certain Chicago resident in these forums has lived there for years and doesn't feel the least bit threatened. Even though the University where he works is smack-dab in the middle of all those shooting location pins on the attached map.

If we should cut-and-run from Iraq because of U.S. casualties there, then shouldn't we also cut-and-run from Chicago, since their gun deaths are double those in Iraq?

Holy crap that's a lot of shootings! I would be pissed if I lived among that and I was not allowed to own a firearm for self defense. I would be very interested to hear what Obama has to say about this. [:/]

Even MORE interesting will be seeing what kallend has to say about this:P
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

News:

Nearly 125 Shot Dead In Chicago Over Summer

An estimated 123 people were shot and killed over the summer. That's nearly double the number of soldiers killed in Iraq over the same time period.

In the same time period, an estimated 245 people were shot and wounded in the city.

The latest report shows that the murder in the city is up 18 percent from last year. From January-July, the department reports 291 people were murdered, compared with 246 for the same period in 2007.
Source: CBS2

It's all okay though, because a certain Chicago resident in these forums has lived there for years and doesn't feel the least bit threatened. Even though the University where he works is smack-dab in the middle of all those shooting location pins on the attached map.

If we should cut-and-run from Iraq because of U.S. casualties there, then shouldn't we also cut-and-run from Chicago, since their gun deaths are double those in Iraq?

Hey John

In all the stats you have looked at from anywhere, have you seen how many of them (shootings) are criminals shooting criminals? I would have to believe that this would be a large percentage of the shootings nation wide. IF that would be the case, the face of the debate would have to change.
Abraham Lincoln

I disagree. Criminals shooting criminals in an area where guns are banned are still a good example of how gun bans don't work.

that is the point I was trying to make.

If criminals are shooting criminals will a gun ban work? I think not. Why? Well, will criminals go straight and give up their guns for a law?:D
Abraham Lincoln

lol yeah after I hit post reply I had the thought wait...what exactly am I disagreeing with? Oh well I'll wait for him to tell me. :D

lol I am with you. Cant say how many times I have done something like that:$
Abraham Lincoln

Holy crap that's a lot of shootings! I would be pissed if I lived among that and I was not allowed to own a firearm for self defense. I would be very interested to hear what Obama has to say about this. [:/]

Gang war, battling over turf.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

So, this being the case, more gun control would not help. After all, it is crimals shooting criminals. You know, those who are not supposed to have guns to begin with in a town that does not allow guns.

Abraham Lincoln

You don't believe in gun bans do you Kallend?

No.

Law abiding, sane people should be allowed to own guns.

I believe that the law needs to be strengthened to make it much more difficult for criminals and the deranged to get guns. The V. Tech massacre (among others) shows that existing checks don't work.

So, this being the case, more gun control would not help. After all, it is crimals shooting criminals. You know, those who are not supposed to have guns to begin with in a town that does not allow guns.

There is a big difference between not allowing guns and having an effective way to prevent inappropriate people from easily obtaining guns. With a short drive from Chicago any gang banger can buy a gun because the existing laws are so weak and so poorly enforced, and careless "law abiding" gun owners have created a huge pool of black market weapons.

I believe that the law needs to be strengthened to make it much more difficult for criminals and the deranged to get guns.

Once again, how would you accomplish this?

Better background checks would be a good place to start.

There is a big difference between not allowing guns and having an effective way to prevent inappropriate people from easily obtaining guns. With a short drive from Chicago any gang banger can buy a gun because the existing laws are so weak and so poorly enforced, and careless "law abiding" gun owners have created a huge pool of black market weapons.

How would you do that? Specifically, without creating laws that would stop everyone from owning them?
Abraham Lincoln

I believe that the law needs to be strengthened to make it much more difficult for criminals and the deranged to get guns.

Ok. But who would do the background checks and what information would be contained in the background checks?
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

And he dodges and weaves again!

Yet another useless, stupid and incorrect comment from you. A gang war is EXACTLY what it is.

OK, if you can tell me what "better background checks" would mean? Specifically?
Abraham Lincoln

Ok. But who would do the background checks and what information would be contained in the background checks?

I am told by a reliable source (gun enthusiast, posts here regularly) that Texas has a very EFFECTIVE process for background checks on CCW applicants. I have no first hand knowledge of this.

I'm sure it can be done if the gun lobby stops being so knee-jerk obstructive.

(to add to your post) and where would that "information" come from? What "information" would be REQUIRED to be sure the "information" is complete enough (for kallend) for the "better background check" to considered complete?

Warrentless wire taps anybody?:P
Abraham Lincoln

OK, if you can tell me what "better background checks" would mean? Specifically?

One that wouldn't allow people like the V. Tech shooter to slip through the cracks.

(to add to your post) and where would that "information" come from? What "information" would be REQUIRED to be sure the "information" is complete enough (for kallend) for the "better background check" to considered complete?

Warrentless wire taps anybody?:P

STRAWMAN.

One that wouldn't allow people like the V. Tech shooter to slip through the cracks.

So, you are advocating government access to your medical records?
Abraham Lincoln