JohnRich

Ban "sexist" advertising?

I wonder how this so-called women's rights committee feels about portraying women as being good with children or being smart or caring etc. and coming to the rescue of a clumsy oaf of a guy in a lumberjack shirt bungles everything up...
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

What other countries decide to do in this regard is not really my problem.

That said, if they tried to pull this sort of crap in the US . . . well . . . the entire advertising industry would collapse.

I wonder if they're also going to ban what I personally find to be an ugly trend in American advertising; women geniuses, men idiots. Next time you're flipping around the dial, take a count of how many commercials feature idiot men that are somehow saved by genius women.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Next time you're flipping around the dial, take a count of how many commercials feature idiot men that are somehow saved by genius women.

Even more prevelant in commercials today is the idiot white guy being shown up by the brilliant black guy. It's out there quite a bit.

. . =(_8^(1)

News:

EU wants to ban 'sexist' TV commercials

MEPs want TV regulators in the EU to set guidelines which would see the end of anything deemed to portray women as sex objects or reinforce gender stereotypes.

This could potentially mean an end to attractive women advertising perfume, housewives in the kitchen or men doing DIY.

Such classic adverts as the Diet Coke commercial featuring the bare-chested builder, or Wonderbra's "Hello Boys" featuring model Eva Herzigova would have been banned.

The new rules come in a report by the EU's women's rights committee.

Ms Svensson said: "Gender stereotyping in advertising straitjackets women, men, girls and boys by restricting individuals to predetermined and artificial roles that are often degrading, humiliating and dumbed down for both sexes."
Source: The Sun

Attached: Ban this "Hello Boys" ad?

This whole thread reminds me of the "Smell the Glove" cover conversation in Spinal Tap.

"the record company has a problem with your cover. It's sexist."

"yeah, we know it's sexy"

Why do the ones who want it ban always look like......

well you be the judge.

Swedish MEP Eva-Britt Svensson

You mean like this (see attached)? :o

Last time I saw, there were nude women on soap commercials in Italy. So if the original poster's beef with Europe is that they're apparently over-regulated as a result of ideas like this, then why aren't we seeing any nude women on commercials made in America?

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.