Pendejo

Fat tax in AL

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,414861,00.html

Not long ago there was a thread about a county in Florida who would not hire people who use tobacco. In that thread there were people who made comments about employers someday charging employees extra for being overweight. Well, it would seem that the day we spoke of came sooner rather than later.

It is amazing to me that the people in AL are not screaming about this. Under this set of rules an employer can decide how much a person who is sitting at a desk can or should weigh. In certain jobs I can understand that an amount of fitness is required, but having a blanket policy like this one leads down a path that will end many freedoms. All in the name of protecting us from ourselves...

Pendejo

He who swoops the ditch and does not get out buys the BEER!!

My personal BMI is 27 according to this...

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_BMI/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.htm

...which happens to make me overweight. Come on I'd have to starve myself or double my mma training regimen to get down to what's considered normal simply because I am large framed with a decent amount of muscle. Hopefully they have special considerations.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

The article specifies a BMI of 35 (which even athletes usually aren't close to) and $25 fine per month. Definitely baby steps, so much so that I don't see it making any change.

It also wasn't clear how they would demonstrate progress, as people at that level of obesity aren't going to fix it overnight.

BMI is a very poor indicator of overall health... I too have a BMI of 27 but am very active and Fit.

my brother on the other hand is several inches taller then I am and weighs less then I do... but probably couldn't run more then a mile (nevermind the fact that he smokes)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I'm about the same, to get down to a BMI of 25 I'd have to be at 14 stone 2Lb in which case I'd look like I've just walked out of a concentration camp. BMI simply doesn't take LBM in to account.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I think its discrimination. Simple as that.

The only thing that should matter is how the person does the job. The best person for the job should get that job no matter what color, what size, or whatever.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I think its discrimination. Simple as that.

The only thing that should matter is how the person does the job. The best person for the job should get that job no matter what color, what size, or whatever.

I couldn't agree more.

Pendejo

He who swoops the ditch and does not get out buys the BEER!!

Yeah I'd have to gain 60 pounds to reach a 35 BMI. But you know they won't stop there and after people are accustomed to it they'll lower the criteria.

yes, that is the legitimate concern. Japan's threshold (waistline of 33.5inches for all men) seems remarkably simplistic.

However, it may be simple enough to couple a bf% alternative if (more likely when) the BMI level gets down to 30 or below. Men should be under 20%, women under 30%.

>The only thing that should matter is how the person does the job. The best
>person for the job should get that job no matter what color, what size, or
>whatever.

Agree 100%. However, if those employees want cheap or free health care, then their health is indeed an issue. It's separate from their employability.

Alabama Plans to Tax Fat Employees to Recoup Insurance Costs.

Whats the problem? I don't think those with a genuine medical condition for example hypothyroisim should be included but everyone else.. Why not? Good idea. (Really no trolling):|

When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

> I don't think those with a genuine medical condition for example
> hypothyroisim should be included but everyone else. . . .

If you visit a doctor then the fee does not apply, per the original post. One would hope that someone with hypothyroidism would be seeing a doctor.

Being skinny does not guaranty being healthy just as being fat does not guaranty being unhealthy.

This is a slippery slope. What else are we going to watch? What if someone loves to have a cocktail do we fear liver disease and not give them a job?
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

>The only thing that should matter is how the person does the job. The best
>person for the job should get that job no matter what color, what size, or
>whatever.

Agree 100%. However, if those employees want cheap or free health care, then their health is indeed an issue. It's separate from their employability.

More reason to try to separate health care from employment. Somehow.

Also consider what other doors this may be opening. If someone's health insurance costs more for any reason they could likely be charged for it. I guess I don't see it as a good idea.

I firmly believe we should encourage our citizens to lose weight but to punish them for it? How about reward them for it....

Or perhaps they are a bit shortsighted and do not see the potential in less healthy employees as dollar savers since they'd likely draw less of a pension due to a lower life expectancy.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

but probably couldn't run more then a mile (nevermind the fact that he smokes)

I don't think you can say the first part while 'neverminding' the second part

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

in high school I ran the mile with a pot smoker who went sub 5 easily. Really pissed me off.

I'm sure someone was waiting at the finish line with some saltines and a jar of peanut butter

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

in high school I ran the mile with a pot smoker who went sub 5 easily. Really pissed me off.

so THAT'S why the Olypmics have banned it as a performance enhancing drug. :D
www.FourWheelerHB.com

>Being skinny does not guaranty being healthy just as being fat does
>not guaranty being unhealthy.

Right. And you can smoke two packs a day and be healthy; you can be a nonsmoker and die of lung cancer. But the smart money is on not being fat and not smoking.

>Being skinny does not guaranty being healthy just as being fat does
>not guaranty being unhealthy.

Right. And you can smoke two packs a day and be healthy; you can be a nonsmoker and die of lung cancer. But the smart money is on not being fat and not smoking.

the key element here is that you can be fat and skinny. Many smokers fall into that category. It still comes down to the relative amounts of body fat and lean muscle mass.