kallend

Yet Another Police Video

Again you don't see what happened in the minutes prior to this.

It's an officer's duty to maintain the peace. This officer was clearly assaulting someone out of anger, not to force submission, not to protect the community. Just because he was angry.

Whoever was taking that video was using a cell-phone video camera (I'm guessing), and holding their hand over it and shooting between fingers. I imagine the cops would've probably taken the camera away (and maybe beat the camera person too) if they knew the video was being shot.

Most cops are decent hard-working citizens, but a few of them need to be put in jail.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Again you don't see what happened in the minutes prior to this.

I see a downed manned unable to protect himself being beaten over and over. I hope he learned his lesson
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

I dont think it matters what happened prior, the fact is there is a guy on the floor being beat.

That's just my point. It never matters what happened just prior to the filming, only what's in the film. I'm sure the victim is just such a saint :)
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

That's just my point. It never matters what happened just prior to the filming, only what's in the film. I'm sure the victim is just such a saint

Is it ever Ok for a policeman to beat a defenceless person?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

That's just my point. It never matters what happened just prior to the filming, only what's in the film. I'm sure the victim is just such a saint

Not once they have control of the situation (IMO).
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Before all the hate-the-police people open up their bleeding hearts and over burdened tear ducts, try to apply at least a modicum of common sense.

If he assaulted a police officer, then he's already shown then propensity for violence. That means as long as he doesn't do as he's told, he is a threat. Quite simply there is no reason for officer to put themselves at risk by using empty hands when other options are available and authorized. It's quite convenient, don't you think, that we have no sound whatsoever to go with that clip.

The short answer: When an offier orders you to do something, DO WHAT YOU ARE TOLD. You cannot win against the police on the street. If you feel they have done you wrong, write letters or hire a lawyer.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

What makes him defenseless? I've never seen an officer pull a baton without reason. Besides, he was obvious being arrested. If he'd laid down face down like he was being told, they wouldnt have struck him anymore.

Who says he is defenseless? He doesn't look crippled or incapacitated to me. His arms and legs like like htey work fine. THe entire point is that if he stopped resisting and complied, no more force would be used against him. (A.K.A. he wouldn't get smacked with the baton again)
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

What makes him defenseless? I've never seen an officer pull a baton without reason. Besides, he was obvious being arrested. If he'd laid down face down like he was being told, they wouldnt have struck him anymore.

Who says he is defenseless? He doesn't look crippled or incapacitated to me. His arms and legs like like htey work fine. THe entire point is that if he stopped resisting and complied, no more force would be used against him. (A.K.A. he wouldn't get smacked with the baton again)

:|
Maybe it's just difficult to comply when you're being beaten senseless.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Just like I thought, you can celarly hear the officer giving commands to give me your hand, lie down, stop resisting, etc.

If he would have down that instead of trying to get up, reach for officers, etc, he wouldn't have been hit.

The funny thing is the "she talk good and stuff" female screaming why are you still hitting him. That sounds a whole like she knows he desersved to be hit, but thinks it should stop.

Newsflash: they are hitting him because he is still resisting. If he'd done as he was told when they first got there, he wouldn't have been his at all, let alone several times.

Yeah, you "take da picture his leg." Bring it to the criminal trial where he'll be convicted of resisting arrest along with the original charge.

edit to add:
You call it an assault, I call it an arrest being effected over physical resistance.
witty subliminal message
1*

Maybe it's just difficult to comply when you're being beaten senseless.

[sarcasm]Wow, I didn't know thugs had their brains in their shins. Now I know why kicking them in the shins appears to hurt them more than normal folks.[/sarcasm]

(A) He was being hit in the leg, not the head, so rein in your tears and give up the "senseless" angle.

(B) It's a lot easier to do as you're told than to keep taking strike with a baton.

(C) You can't beat someone senseless when they have no sense to begin with.
witty subliminal message
1*

edit to add:
You call it an assault, I call it an arrest being effected over physical resistance.

Anyone who needs to resort to such methods in order to handle such passive resistance is unworthy of the badge. And yes, I call it assault. The nature of a man's actions matter far more to me than the color of his clothes. In this case, one "boy in blue" decided act more like a bully than a peace officer. If that'd been me on the ground, the chickenshit would have regretted walking so close to my legs while acting out his sadistic fantasies.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

If that'd been me on the ground, the chickenshit would have regretted walking so close to my legs while acting out his sadistic fantasies.

Ummmmm........... Yeah..................

Yeah, I understand that it sounds like mindless bravado, but the bottom line is if an assailant puts his knees where I can get them, I'll take the shot. I've successfully repelled a police assault in the past and I'd do it again if I had to. I'll be the first to admit that it's my preference to avoid such situations altogether, but if some thug is escalating a situation from non-violent to violent, I'll react accordingly to defend myself, or at least give as good as I get. The possession of a badge earns a thug zero credit in my book...I am no sheep and he is no shepherd.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

How about i swing a baton around you and see if you just "lay down"

The body is hard wired to protect the brain and genitals when in danger, hence people ball up and protect themselves.

You're talking complete shite in defense of an officer who is clearly incapable of doing his job.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

I concur. This is ridiculous. I wonder what the hell does their training academy look like? New York has been known for having dirty cops, but ones that PMS and go out and start beating the shit out of people? and then they send future officers to come onto dropzone and plead their case....Now this is Rich![:/]

Me: I want to ride a bull out of a skyvan.
vegasjoe: How the hell are you going to land that thing?
Me: Who said anything about landed with it? I think after we'll have some Bar-B-Que.

If this guy would have - or could have - kicked back at the officers, the beating he got would have only been worse - probably much worse.

I'd like to know the circumstances of the assault to repelled. Do I understand you had a cop laying some keepdown on you and you chased him away?

I agree however - I prefer not let myself get into such situations in the first place - I've never been there, and never plan too be.

Easy Does It

If this guy would have - or could have - kicked back at the officers, the beating he got would have only been worse - probably much worse.

Probably, but the bragging after the fact would have been tempered a bit by a knee brace. I doubt this guy had sufficient wits to take out a knee (stalling the attack) and then immediately go to his belly with his hands behind his back, but that would have been a reasonable course of action. It's difficult to assume a compliant position while being baton-whipped...much easier if you can buy yourself a few non-violent seconds to concede.

I'd like to know the circumstances of the assault to repelled. Do I understand you had a cop laying some keepdown on you and you chased him away?

Sort of, but not quite so dramatic. I was being a compliant smart-ass while being checked out for no good reason. Feet spread, hands on the roof of the car, no resistance. The cop struck me in the back of the head, driving my face into the roof. Without taking my hands off the car, I told him the next time I'd defend myself, so he hit me harder and I took him down. Two other officers were watching from a distance and came running...I figured jail was in my immediate future, and didn't want an extended stay, so all I did was restrain the assailant until he quit struggling. One of the officers standing up said, "I think that's about enough", I said, "You're right", released the guy, stood up, and re-assumed the position. The guy I'd taken down stood up, retrieved my license from his car and gave it to me. The other officer standing there said, "Perhaps you should call it a night and head home". Surprised that justice had been found on the street, I promptly did so.

I agree however - I prefer not let myself get into such situations in the first place - I've never been there, and never plan too be.

For the most part, compliance at the beginning avoids the escalation of force and need for self-defense. However incompetence and criminality is at least as prevalent in the constabulary as in any other organization, and when someone demonstrates that they intend you harm, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Anyone who needs to resort to such methods in order to handle such passive resistance is unworthy of the badge.

Therein lies the problem. (At least in America) Cops are like political candidates. Those worthy of the job rarely want it, so those that get the job generally aren't well suited for it.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

In Reply To

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sort of, but not quite so dramatic. I was being a compliant smart-ass while being checked out for no good reason. Feet spread, hands on the roof of the car, no resistance. The cop struck me in the back of the head, driving my face into the roof. Without taking my hands off the car, I told him the next time I'd defend myself, so he hit me harder and I took him down. Two other officers were watching from a distance and came running...I figured jail was in my immediate future, and didn't want an extended stay, so all I did was restrain the assailant until he quit struggling. One of the officers standing up said, "I think that's about enough", I said, "You're right", released the guy, stood up, and re-assumed the position. The guy I'd taken down stood up, retrieved my license from his car and gave it to me. The other officer standing there said, "Perhaps you should call it a night and head home". Surprised that justice had been found on the street, I promptly did so

Wow - Pretty amazing. In most any jurisdiction I've ever been in, given the same circumstances, you would have wound up in intensive care.

Wow - Pretty amazing. In most any jurisdiction I've ever been in, given the same circumstances, you would have wound up in intensive care.

Yeah, I don't think anyone was more surprised than me, except perhaps the guy who was accustomed to people just taking his shit. I've got a few theories about why they let me go, but of course I can't know for sure. I'd like to think the incident caused the guy at fault to be a bit more restrained, but am not so naive as to believe he didn't just take out an increased amount of aggression on the next guy.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)