sfc

bush sets another record

I think that represents roughly 1 week of our Gross National Output (and I'm not talking poop).

All we have to do is give ourselves a free week. Everybody who contributes value to our economy needs to do so for one week at no charge. (All the lazies who do not contribute can just keep doing whatever it is they do).
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I think that represents roughly 1 week of our Gross National Output (and I'm not talking poop).

All we have to do is give ourselves a free week. Everybody who contributes value to our economy needs to do so for one week at no charge. (All the lazies who do not contribute can just keep doing whatever it is they do).

I prefer the option of an executive branch that actual doesn't overspend.

175 days and counting.

A record federal deficit

$490,000,000,000

Congratulations to the administration, the people are proud of your achievement.

176 days and counting.

Especially considering that he started out with a surplus, courtesy of the "tax & spend Democrats". The last deficit was a joint effort by several presidents and years in the making. This one should get some kind of a "do it yourself" award. It took some real initiative & determination. Go Boy George !

P.S. Nice to see the countdown spirit is spreading. 176 days is still too long, but the number is coming down.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

P.S. Nice to see the countdown spirit is spreading. 176 days is still too long, but the number is coming down.

The hard core dead enders( that 20% out there that love him ) are probably still hoping for a serious terrorist attack on America... so the right wing can suspend the elections and declare martila law so they can stay in power.

Congratulations to the administration, the people are proud of your achievement.

Congratulations are also due for Congress. After all, they control the nation's purse strings.

The POTUS proposes a budget. Congress then passes it. Or Congress does NOT pass it.

Yeah. It's all the President's fault. Uh huh. Yep. Sure.

He's got a LOT of blame for it, to be damned sure. And, again, Congress just fucking enables him to do it. Bush is like the teenage boy. Congress is like the parents. Bush asks to use the car and for some beer. Congress says, "Hell, take the Porsche, and here are the keys to the liquor cabinet."

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Congress has just as much if not more blame than Bush. Over the last couple years I have been very disappointed in Congress for giving Bush pretty much everything he has asked for.

And what pray tell would the right wing be screaming IF the Congress did cut off the funding the Administration wants????

HMMMM

Buehler...Buehler???????

And what pray tell would the right wing be screaming IF the Congress did cut off the funding the Administration wants????

Yeah. The same kind of screaming my 20 month-old daughter does when Dora the Explorer is turned off.

Are you insinuating that Congress is such a group of chickenshit pussies that their thought process is, "Can you imagine the screaming that the right wing would do if we denied their request for another half a trillion dollars? Oh, we can't handle that. We'll give it to them."

JEanne - come on. You are smarter than that.

A record federal deficit

$490,000,000,000

176 days and counting.

Especially considering that he started out with a surplus, courtesy of the "tax & spend Democrats". The last deficit was a joint effort by several presidents and years in the making. This one should get some kind of a "do it yourself" award. It took some real initiative & determination. Go Boy George !

But you have to remember cutting taxes causes the economy to grow and results in more tax revenue, WRONG, I guess he forgot the part about causing it all to overheat and explode, way to go george, your buddies made tons of cash over at the oil companies and defense contractors, it's just too bad that the little people that got fucked.

If you use firefox this is a good plugin, keeps the counter on screen all the time.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3792

175 days to go.

Congress has just as much if not more blame than Bush. Over the last couple years I have been very disappointed in Congress for giving Bush pretty much everything he has asked for.

HMMMM

Buehler...Buehler???????

So the Democrats didn't provide checks and balances because they were afraid the Republicans would scream and call them names ... :D
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Congratulations are also due for Congress. After all, they control the nation's purse strings.

But as I believe you've agreed, Congress is not in the position of power regarding war making, despite the Constitution, and that war is responsible for a big chunk of the debt accumulated during Bush's term.

HMMMM

Buehler...Buehler???????

So the Democrats didn't provide checks and balances because they were afraid the Republicans would scream and call them names ... :D

So you would support congress if they pulled funding for the illegal war in Iraq?
Give me a break, you can't just turn off the tap without a plan to get the troops home, and bushy boy hasn't even been prepared to talk unless it is about asking for more cash.

Yeah... I can hear you guys.... THEY ARE NOT FUNDING OUR TROOPS IN THE FIELD DURING TIME OF WAR...

:S:S:S:S:S:S:S

Most of this deficit can be laid right on the doorstep of war profiteering and incompetence in going to war and expecting the oil revenues to pay for it all.. as the Iraqi people hail us as liberators and throw flowers at our troops..somehow I dont think IED's have a rosy smell to them>:(>:(>:(

Seems things did not quite work out the way you guys promoted it all... those of you who were FOR the war.. before you were against it:S:S:S:S:S

Congress is not in the position of power regarding war making,

Congress IS in a position of power regarding warmaking. Congress GAVE the POTUS the authority to do it in October, 2002.

So Congress, um, can TAKE IT BACK.

The deficit is to run almost $500 billion, is it? The Department of Defense Budget is $481.4 Billion. War on Terror is $145.2 billion.

Okay. So eliminate the DoD and you get a balanced budget. Let us compare, however, this spending in billions.

Social Security - $608
Medicare - $386
Medicaid - $209
Unemployment - $324
INterest on National Debt - $261

How about, say, a 10% cut across the board, except for the Interest?

Also, I saw an earlier post about a "budget surplus." Check a look at the Clinton years and find a year when the national debt did not increase. You can't find it. BEcause Congress and the POTUS balanced the budget by borrowing money from technically "off-budget" programs - namely, Social Security payroll taxes.

the deficit ain't the fault of "The War." Recall that the Iraq war is an appropriation - the War on Terror. Meaning that WITHOUT the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, we'd STILL be over $300 billion in the hole.

THEY ARE NOT FUNDING OUR TROOPS IN THE FIELD DURING TIME OF WAR...

Response: "Yep. It's time to end it, so I'd suggest you make plans, Mr. Commander-in-Chief, to redeploy these troops back home."

Most of this deficit can be laid right on the doorstep of war profiteering and incompetence in going to war

I won't say "profiteering." I would agree with "incompetence" in thinking that they could actually install a secure democracy quite easily.

as the Iraqi people hail us as liberators and throw flowers at our troops

Yes. They did that.,

somehow I dont think IED's have a rosy smell to them

No. Because we stuck around. Now it's a power grab between competing sects to see who will be in charge. With the US there, there will be no winner in this battle. Once the US is gone, there will be a victory in the civil war that the US caused. Like it or not, only a despot like Hussein could keep the peace there. I hope I am wrong with that assessment, but I can't be sure.

Seems things did not quite work out the way you guys promoted it all

What do you mean, "You guys?" Show me ANY post where I EVER came out in favor of this war. I was ALWAYS against it.

The thing is, I was against it for intellectually honest reasons. I didn't use it as a pedestal for my own views. I simply said, "THis is fucked up." Not, "This is fucked up because Republicans are doing it." And, I tend to see different sides to the issues and appreciate those different sides.

Congress IS in a position of power regarding warmaking. Congress GAVE the POTUS the authority to do it in October, 2002.

We covered this in the discussion of the WPA or other solutions to the current inpotency of Congress. Congress really can't make military units come back once they're out there.

And no, the war isn't the 100% cause of the deficit, but it looks like about 1/3rd of it.

We covered this in the discussion of the WPA or other solutions to the current inpotency of Congress. Congress really can't make military units come back once they're out there.

And no, the war isn't the 100% cause of the deficit, but it looks like about 1/3rd of it.

I don't know the exact figures but I bet the bush tax cuts would account for a significant portion of the remaining 2/3.

The massive interest we pay each year is also substantially bush's fault as he was responsible for borrowing a huge piece of the national debt.