ypelchat

Crime rate dropping for the 3rd straight year in Canada

Maybe you, as Americans, have come to think guns were essential to your safety.... Because you were told so by your father? Or your grand father? I dunno. But I just can't figure why the Americans feel so insecure in their daily lives....

Yves.

Please see my "preparation, not paranoia" post in the other gun thread.

Are you paranoid for having a reserve in your rig, or prepared in case you have a malfunction?

Are you paranoid for having a fire extinguisher in your kitchen, or prepared in case there is a small cooking fire?

Are you paranoid for having airbags or seatbelts in your car, or prepared in case you have an accident?

You could live in a bunker, yet, you'll find someone that will find a way to blow you up.

Yves.

Ok, and you would willingly put yourself at the mercy of that person, why?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Maybe you, as Americans, have come to think guns were essential to your safety.... Because you were told so by your father? Or your grand father? I dunno. But I just can't figure why the Americans feel so insecure in their daily lives....

Yves.

Please see my "preparation, not paranoia" post in the other gun thread.

Are you paranoid for having a reserve in your rig, or prepared in case you have a malfunction?

Are you paranoid for having a fire extinguisher in your kitchen, or prepared in case there is a small cooking fire?

Are you paranoid for having airbags or seatbelts in your car, or prepared in case you have an accident?

You could live in a bunker, yet, you'll find someone that will find a way to blow you up.

Yves.

Ok, and you would willingly put yourself at the mercy of that person, why?

I try not to enter a fight with anyone in the first place. That's why. I have no ennemies. :)
Yves.

I try not to enter a fight with anyone in the first place. That's why. I have no ennemies. :)
Yves.

I was unaware that criminals were friends with the majority of their victims?

Regardless, we're straying a bit far afield, I think.

I'm please that crime has come down in your country - congrats!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yves.

You're trying to mix oil with water....

If your neighbour see you with a gun, he'll want a bigger one. That's how it works.

:)
Yves.

Yves.

If your neighbour see you with a gun, he'll want a bigger one. That's how it works.

Yves.

In my neighborhood / with my friends, it'd spark a "man, that's sweet, lemme show you my collection" conversation

Why are you so convinced that your neighbor would try to kill you, or fear being killed by you?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yves.

Yves.

In my neighborhood / with my friends, it'd spark a "man, that's sweet, lemme show you my collection" conversation

Why are you so convinced that your neighbor would try to kill you, or fear being killed by you?

In Quebec city, I have no such fears. :)

Since we have gun control here, few guns are available to collect. No armorys here.

And, by the way... both my neighbours are friendly..

Yves.

Yves.

The majority of Homicide victims knew their killers.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Since we have gun control here, few guns are available to collect. No armorys here.

Yves.

Then why this comment?

>>If your neighbour see you with a gun, he'll want a bigger one. That's how it works.
Is this from your experience as a gun owner, or are you talking through your hat?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yves.

Then why this comment?

>>If your neighbour see you with a gun, he'll want a bigger one. That's how it works.
Is this from your experience as a gun owner, or are you talking through your hat?

I don't own a gun. Never felt the need to own one. And I will never own one. B|

Yves.

Yves.

That's a neat trick...who did the seance?

Link me to the study, please. I recall mention of the claim but don't remember who did it.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yves.

Then why this comment?

Yves.

Ok, so you were talking through your hat.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yves.

Then why this comment?

Yves.

Ok, so you were talking through your hat.

NO.

You don't, or won't understand... Anyway

Just try to tell me why I would need to own a gun, to be able to talk about safety in a gunless society?

In my neck of the wood, I don't need to own guns to be safe... or feel safe.

Yves.

NO.

You don't, or won't understand... Anyway

Just try to tell me why I would need to own a gun, to be able to talk about safety in a gunless society?

In my neck of the wood, I don't need to own guns to be safe... or feel safe.

Yves.

No, YOU don't understand - I am saying that you are talking through your hat because you are making assertions on reasons for gun ownership or actions of gun owners with NO experience to base it on.

I have NO problem with you not "wanting" or "needing" to own a gun. However, the fact that you cannot envision any other reason than paranoia to own a gun does NOT make it true and is, in fact, you projecting your feelings onto others.

Is that clearer?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Quote:
"The overall crime rate has been on a general rate of decline... following a long-term downward trend that began in the mid-1970s."
What a coincidence. That's the same crime trend that we've seen in America.

And America doesn't have the same strict gun control measures that Canada has. So that kind of destroys your theory that strict gun control is responsible for the downward trend. Oh well... There is no causal correlation between gun control measures and crime rates, anywhere.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2006/data/table_01.html

>Mars/Neptune, solar output and man-made global warming ring a bell for you here, Bill?

Perhaps you could start yet another "There's only one problem with global warming - it ended in 1998!" thread, if you would like to discuss that.

>Seeing as how there have been SEVERAL studies on how gun control
>laws have little to no effect on reduction of crime, what's your point?

That you (and JohnRich, and several others) trumpet those studies that agree with your position, and become remarkably defensive and petulant whenever the opposite effect is observed.

In Moore's Columbine movie, he postulated that it is the culture difference, rather than the availability of weapons, that made the difference in crime. I tend to agree.

Yves.

Link me to the study, please. I recall mention of the claim but don't remember who did it.

Knew: past tense.

Source: funny question, that, coming from someone who so frequently quotes the source when it suits his argument.

It's hardly surprising, but bear in mind that familiarity is a loose term. Raoul may know Julio as the rival gang banger 3 blocks down.

You could, of course, look up the information, then you wouldn't have to speculate.

>Mars/Neptune, solar output and man-made global warming ring a bell for you here, Bill?

Perhaps you could start yet another "There's only one problem with global warming - it ended in 1998!" thread, if you would like to discuss that.

That you (and JohnRich, and several others) trumpet those studies that agree with your position, and become remarkably defensive and petulant whenever the opposite effect is observed.

In Moore's Columbine movie, he postulated that it is the culture difference, rather than the availability of weapons, that made the difference in crime. I tend to agree.

Roughly 20% of US homicides are committed by family or friends (FBI data - note that this is where the killer is identified, and that the actual % is no doubt greater since a large fraction of homicides go unsolved). I *suggest* that ready availability of a gun makes homicide a more probable outcome of a domestic fight.

It's hardly surprising, but bear in mind that familiarity is a loose term. Raoul may know Julio as the rival gang banger 3 blocks down.

You could, of course, look up the information, then you wouldn't have to speculate.

I leave the speculation part to you - apparently you round 20% up to a majority?

The grouping of murders by rival gangs is a known issue of this silly propaganda to convince people that having a gun in the house will kill them.

I leave the speculation part to you - apparently you round 20% up to a majority?

I did? Kindly explain, bearing in mind that "victim knew the killer" includes others than just family and friends. :P

See your reponse immediately above - what's that about defensive and petulant, again?

The pro-2nd side tends to argue more from fact than emotion. The anti-2nd argues more from emotion than fact. Both sides defend their ideas but I see a WHOLE lot more insults, petulance and bile from the antis.

If he's talking about criminal culture and the increase of drug/gang violence, I agree. The 'drugging down' of schoolkids is probably a large contributor as well.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>See your reponse immediately above - what's that about defensive and petulant, again?

The always-applicable "I know you are but what am I" defense! A favorite in schoolyards everywhere.

>The pro-2nd side tends to argue more from fact than emotion.

Of course. Unless the evidence is against them, in which case they rely on the old reliable "sheep-wolves" analogy and characterizations like "gun-o-phobes." "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six!" is always a good one, with the hidden implication that not having a gun will result in your death. No emotion there. Nope. Strictly fact.