The_Don

G.A. new gun law.

According to the Atlanta news, some people have announced plans to test the law by carrying guns into the Atlanta (Jackson-Hartsfield or whatever it's called now) airport. Their position is that the law allows concealed carry in airports. To clarify, they believe this is a good thing. I'm curious to hear if people here agree/disagree. Personally I lean towards the "pro-gun" side, but I think it'll make for some problems for security if guns are allowed inside the terminals.

Don (another Don, not The Don)

Like I said, I've had a permit for years.

I guess I'm for it.

Just surprised it became law with little fanfare.

I see lawsuits in the future..

Do you think they will file those lawsuits in the courthouses.. while carrying???:)

Guns won't be allowed inside the terminals since you need a boarding pass to get past security and you can't travel with a concealed firearm. I'm sure there are special conditions but you'll need a damn good cause to get a pass for a concealed firearm.

There needs to be a distinction drawn between the secure terminal areas and the general check-in terminal area.

Guns are not allowed into the secure areas. Period.

However, guns are allowed into the check-in area. That's because it's legal to ship guns in the baggage hold, like if you're going on a hunting trip or to a shooting competition. You have to bring the guns into the terminal in order to present them at the check-in counter and get them into the baggage hold of the plane. This is legal. Period.

A concealed carry person would be like that last example. He's got a gun in the terminal area, he's just not checking it onto an airplane. As long as he doesn't try and go past the security checkpoints, he should be legal.

The gun-o-phobes will cry "foul", of course, but I don't see what the big deal is. It's not much different from what has already been going on for decades.

Considering that as I understand the laws you have to be a US citizen to qualify for a CCW, and that as a CCW holder the Government (Federal and State) trust me to carry a firearm in public, why should I NOT be allowed to carry at an airport? :S
As far as I am concerned, that should include not only the non-secure parts of the airport but the flight as well. If CCW was allowed in-flight (and it currently is for pilots and air marshals only), 9/11 might have had a very different outcome [:/]

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...