likearock

What did Michelle Obama Actually Say?

You think you know, right? You've heard it a dozen times already.

According to Wikipedia, she said:

for the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my country

And sure enough, if you search on Youtube, you can find where she appears to say just that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYY73RO_egw

But something seemed a little odd about how her voice sounded so I did a little digging and found this alternate take of the same speech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn618UpbF-k

Interesting, no?

It turns out that she actually said was:

for the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country

Clearly, someone had deliberately dubbed out the word "really" to make it sound worse than it actually was. And that doctored soundtrack is what made the rounds on Fox and the conservative talk show circuit. In fairness, it looks like other media outlets (including Wikipedia) were affected as well.

Now I'm sure the Obama-haters will claim it makes no difference either way. But to them I'd ask, then why doctor the soundtrack in the first place?

Of course, that single word does make a big difference. Michelle is not saying that she was never proud of America before, only that she was never as proud as she is now.

You think you know, right? You've heard it a dozen times already.

According to Wikipedia, she said:

for the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my country

And sure enough, if you search on Youtube, you can find where she appears to say just that:

But something seemed a little odd about how her voice sounded so I did a little digging and found this alternate take of the same speech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn618UpbF-k

Interesting, no?

It turns out that she actually said was:

for the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country

Clearly, someone had deliberately dubbed out the word "really" to make it sound worse than it actually was. And that doctored soundtrack is what made the rounds on Fox and the conservative talk show circuit. In fairness, it looks like other media outlets (including Wikipedia) were affected as well.

Now I'm sure the Obama-haters will claim it makes no difference either way. But to them I'd ask, then why doctor the soundtrack in the first place?

Of course, that single word does make a big difference. Michelle is not saying that she was never proud of America before, only that she was never as proud as she is now.

I guess to me, this one word makes less difference than the context that the comment, (with or without the word) was made in.

How would the fact that wether or not people are voting for her husband make her proud or really proud of her country.

And, to add, within that context, does that one word really make a difference one way or the other?

Serious question as I am looking for opinions

By the way, when I heard this on the radio the context and (I think) the word really was included
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>does that one word really make a difference one way or the other?

A video clip was falsified to make a candidate's wife look bad - and you don't think it makes a difference?

If this had been done to McCain's wife, they'd hear your screams about the "LYING LIBERAL DRIVE-BY MEDIA" from low earth orbit. But since it was done to someone you despise, it's OK; doesn't really make a difference.

Has anyone noticed that slight pause after,"For the first time in my adult lifetime [pause].
I think at that point she realizes that her mouth is running faster than her brain, but to not finish the statement would have caused everyone to wonder what she was thinking.
She realized as soon as she said it, that she had stuck her foot in it.

>does that one word really make a difference one way or the other?

A video clip was falsified to make a candidate's wife look bad - and you don't think it makes a difference?

If this had been done to McCain's wife, they'd hear your screams about the "LYING LIBERAL DRIVE-BY MEDIA" from low earth orbit. But since it was done to someone you despise, it's OK; doesn't really make a difference.

I dont know anything about that tape as I did not watch it. I dont know who made it. Do you? I dont know why. Do you?
All I said was all the places I heard the tape the word really was in there AND that I did not think it made any difference one way or the other when listened to in the full context of her comments.

Oh, and I dont despise anybody. You should stop guessing about such things
Abraham Lincoln

Who knows. The word is an adverb, it doesn't change the context all that much. What's the difference between me saying, "I'm happy" and "I'm really happy" ... not much.

Of course, that single word does make a big difference.

See previous example...that word doesn't mean that much, unless your flipping through Sen. Obama's changing idea of "words have meaning" and "words don't matter"...pick your poison.

Michelle is not saying that she was never proud of America before, only that she was never as proud as she is now.

Perception is everything. We've seen politicians lose their positions over less. Mrs. Obama is campaigning on behalf of her husband, she's fair game. Just like President Clinton and Chelsea are.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Well, this got a little more interesting and those of you that follow my posts understand that the last thing I want is to be caught up in spin one way or another. I can admit when I'm wrong or, in this case, when not all the information has been given.

Michelle did say what she was attributed on Wikipedia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGjR81pFJI4

So it looks like she did say it first without the "really" and only subsequently amended the statement to sound "more patriotic".

I still don't understand why there was a need to alter the subsequent tape rather than just play the original though.

Well, this got a little more interesting and those of you that follow my posts understand that the last thing I want is to be caught up in spin one way or another. I can admit when I'm wrong or, in this case, when not all the information has been given.

So it looks like she did say it first without the "really" and only subsequently amended the statement to sound "more patriotic".

I still don't understand why there was a need to alter the subsequent tape rather than just play the original though.

I dont go to youtube much so, can you tell who posted it?

That may give some insite as to motive.

Just a thought
Abraham Lincoln

I dont go to youtube much so, can you tell who posted it?

That may give some insite as to motive.

Just a thought

It's kind of impossible to determine who did the original editing.

The link I gave for the doctored tape was:

There's no name attached but then again, there's no guarantee this is not just a copy from someone else who did the modification.

I have to be honest here. If Barak had said those words, I would definitely have an issue with it. However, I can live with the fact that his wife said it. She's not going to be president.

If Barak had said those words, I would definitely have an issue with it. However, I can live with the fact that his wife said it. She's not going to be president.

pretty simple, I agree

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'm proud of anyone who says what she did, missing word or not. A true American with patriotism in their heart challenges and questions everything. We have the freedoms that we do because someone was willing to ask questions. I'd have even more respect if a Presidential candidate was able to handle the spin. We would then see less of the bullshit Rove and GW pulled over the last 7 years (IE: either with us or against us, you can't be for the troops and against the war, you are pro terrorism if you are anti Iraq war, you are anti American if you think we were at all responsible for the attacks on 9/11, etc.)

I didn't listen to the youtube version of the speech. Which is the real version and why didn't Obama bring that up at the time? Photochops and audio doctoring can go either way. Yet again, this should be another reason why you should question everything and do your own research.

Who is at fault here? No idea but I wouldn't put it past either side to do such a thing. However I do suspect FoxNews and the Rove puppets more as they have a solid decade of precedence of spreading lies as truth.

Nonetheless, what she said is not an issue and shouldn't have had any impact on the election. This was a talking point driven into the mainstream by Fox along with the "no flag on his suit/no hand on his heart" bullshit. They can't stand on their own platform (plus need a distraction so you don't hear her talking about the 8 years of mistakes they made) so they create negative press that will echo longer in the minds of the casual voter who only partially pays attention (just like a marketing department that creates annoying/catchy jingles so you are "tricked" into your purchase). Anyone that repeats this shit is only helping to undermine our election process and I would go so far as to call them un-American because of it.

How do we know this "edited" version ever ended up on TV? I watch Fox and CNN all the time and I can't recall seeing the "edited" version. Plus, it's a lousy edit job that would have been noticed LONG ago. I call BS.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Who knows. The word is an adverb, it doesn't change the context all that much. What's the difference between me saying, "I'm happy" and "I'm really happy" ... not much.

It changes the implications of what her feelings were prior to "the first time."
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

How do we know this "edited" version ever ended up on TV? I watch Fox and CNN all the time and I can't recall seeing the "edited" version. Plus, it's a lousy edit job that would have been noticed LONG ago. I call BS.

A fair question. However, it did circulate on TV. One example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znun3cP3aoA

On Fox no less. What a shock. (said with sarcasm)

Did it appear on the other networks?

It changes the implications of what her feelings were prior to "the first time."

Prior to the first time...then there would've been no feelings of that type...hence "first time"...

Either way, if Sen. Obama is getting this butt-hurt over scrutiny that's being applied to his wife, who is campaigning for him, then how is he going to handle the general election if he gets the nomination? The kitchen gets hot...especially in US politics.
Make light!

Prior to the first time...then there would've been no feelings of that type...hence "first time"...

Either way, if Sen. Obama is getting this butt-hurt over scrutiny that's being applied to his wife, who is campaigning for him, then how is he going to handle the general election if he gets the nomination? The kitchen gets hot...especially in US politics.

As McCain found out in South Carolina back in 2000. Let's hope it doesn't get that ugly again.

And that doctored soundtrack is what made the rounds on Fox and the conservative talk show circuit.

And of course we all know that MSNBC, NBC, NPR, MoveOn.org and the DailyKos are never guilty of this exact tactic (if it is really true).:S

I'm not saying it is OK to deliberately do this. It just should be clear that it happens on both sides of the fence.

As for what Michelle Obama did or didn't say has not been proven by your links.

Anyway, she gives me the creeps. I never thought we could possibly have a First Lady who creeps me out more than Hillary Clinton.

As McCain found out in South Carolina back in 2000. Let's hope it doesn't get that ugly again.

McCain is on the record saying that it's going to be like swift-boat-times-five...

That's one good thing about the hang up on the democrat side...the general campaign will be shorter...but probably a bit nastier.
Make light!

And that doctored soundtrack is what made the rounds on Fox and the conservative talk show circuit.

And of course we all know that MSNBC, NBC, NPR, MoveOn.org and the DailyKos are never guilty of this exact tactic (if it is really true).:S

I'm not saying it is OK to deliberately do this. It just should be clear that it happens on both sides of the fence.

Nice of you to cut out what I wrote immediately following:

In fairness, it looks like other media outlets (including Wikipedia) were affected as well.

Is that something you usually do to prove your point?

As for what Michelle Obama did or didn't say has not been proven by your links.

??? Have you read the entire thread? It's very clear what Michelle said first in Milwaukee, then in Madison. It's also clear that one version of the Madison speech was altered and that version appeared on TV news shows.