Rookie120

Am I an atheist?

Well, I have a little bit of trouble understanding how/why anyone believes in a god. But I find it interesting to hear what others believe, and I don't have any real interest in trying to convince others that god does not exist.

Most of my friends and family do believe in god, and I find that I tend to keep quiet about the subject around most of them. And other than feeling like I shouldn't talk about it, it doesn't bother me that they have different beliefs. I know that some of them rely heavily on their belief in god to help them through their lives, and I wouldn't want to take that away from them since I don't exactly have a better alternative to offer.

But that would be respectful and tolerant of others.

What's wrong with you? You should immediately demean anyone that doesn't share your beliefs. immediately. right now.

anyway -> +1, pretty much verbatim to your post

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Well, I have a little bit of trouble understanding how/why anyone believes in a god. But I find it interesting to hear what others believe, and I don't have any real interest in trying to convince others that god does not exist.

Most of my friends and family do believe in god, and I find that I tend to keep quiet about the subject around most of them. And other than feeling like I shouldn't talk about it, it doesn't bother me that they have different beliefs. I know that some of them rely heavily on their belief in god to help them through their lives, and I wouldn't want to take that away from them since I don't exactly have a better alternative to offer ***

Thank you for your honesty. What values do you use to help you through tough times?

If you guys are really serious in expanding your argumentative cases, please read our posts in the latter sections of "an atheist speaks". We all inspire each other in many ways. I have many questions for you guys that were not addressed. We are all here in the spirit of curiosity and understanding right? I dont really want to write all that stuff over again:)
Sorry to drop in...please continue:D

"We didn't start the fire"

Maadmax seems to be looking for a big cosmic sign that says there is no god and never has been before he will even consider the possibility that god never existed.

Anyone who lives by the truth has considered the possibilty that God never existed. If they dont admit that they may not be speaking the truth from their hearts. I know for me at least it was the darkest moments of my life that empowered my blame against God to question his very existance. Many will never find faith, some claim to have strong faith, its not a competition, its just the truth. It is those who say that have very very little faith that have the strongest, becasue they are the ones who live by the truth, and even though they belive their faith to be very very small, it is genuine. Only a faith that is genuine will grow, and it only grows in truth.

God works in truth, and so anyone who comes to him must be 100% truthful with him. Expressing our doubt to him is being honest, asking for a sign is being human, not finding one is actually a gift. Because God is not found without faith. Faith is hard to cultivate when something is seen. There are many people in the bible who saw the miracles of Jesus and still did not believe. there are many people in the world today who have been witnesses to miracles and still choose coincidence over God. God cannot be seen outside the heart, and no one can show him to you.

Now people might think that is not fair, or extremely "convenient", but God reveals himself through a spirit of forgiveness. Those who acknowledge the truth within them, that they are actually guilty of sin, will find the forgiveness in Christ and therefore, in truth, will grow in grace. this grace is power and it is the "proof" you guys are looking for. But again, I already said all this....
"We didn't start the fire"

What values do you use to help you through tough times?

Strength, love, beauty, kindness, forgiveness . . . I guess anything that draws my attention to the good things about being alive.

My friends and family are very important to me, and they have helped me through some tough times (and hopefully I have helped some of them too). I also find nature/being outdoors to be therapeutic.

But I think that inner strength is what helps me the most through tough times. And when I am having a hard time finding it, the other things I have mentioned are what help me to find it.

Hmm, that's a hard question to answer, but hopefully I am making a little bit of sense. :P

We are all here in the spirit of curiosity and understanding right?

No. We're here to beat each other over the head with plastic, waffle ball bats.:D

Mmmmm, breakfasty

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Most of my friends and family do believe in god, and I find that I tend to keep quiet about the subject around most of them. And other than feeling like I shouldn't talk about it, it doesn't bother me that they have different beliefs. I know that some of them rely heavily on their belief in god to help them through their lives, and I wouldn't want to take that away from them since I don't exactly have a better alternative to offer

Just think about where humanity would be today if people would have thought about chemistry, physics and mathematics instead of praying...

Hi Max,
I'm going to jump in here, and I'm sure we'll get a chance to talk about this in person sometime. I know enough people who I hold as intelligent, rational, and well-educated, some personally (yourself, several faculty members here at UGA) and some through this forum (Nerdgirl and even Bill von unless I am mistaken) who hold some form of religious belief (not necessarily Christian), that I cannot completely dismiss the "God hypothesis". Still, despite the best efforts of my parents, I personally find that the idea of a "God" that controls all and even "marks the fall of a sparrow" is completely unbelievable. For me, the reasons for that lack of belief go beyond the total lack of empirical evidence, although that lack would be a serious problem in itself. Some (not all) of my issues include:
1) I believe in the objective (i.e. real) existance of a world that operates according to laws of physics (chemistry and biology following as emergent properties from physics), and 2) I believe that it is possible, at least in principle, for us humans to understand those laws. Indeed, for me understanding (at least on some level) how the world works, how all life and indeed all matter/energy are interconnected through shared history, is an important part of my "spirituality". (As an aside, I recommend Dawkin's "The Ancestor's Tale" in this regard). It seems to me that belief in an interventionist God (i.e. Royd's God that pushes babies out of windows, many to be dashed on the ground and a chosen few to be miraculously saved by conveniently placed postal workers) is the antithesis of my beliefs. If there is a God (I'm capitolizing as a sign of respect for your beliefs by the way) that intervenes daily in the physical world, posing "tests" here and answering prayers (for miraculous recovery from disease, for example) there, all without leaving any trace that could be detected by even the most determined experiment, then it seems to me the world is not objectively real. That is, it exists only as a materialization of the whims of "God". Maybe that immunosupressive protein I just characterized didn't exist last week, maybe "God" just created it to "test" me and before that he just "willed" mosquitoes to be good disease vectors. I don't believe that (and I'm sure you don't either), but once you agree that God can do anything and no-one could detect His meddling then where does it stop? Maybe there is an issue with me being a scientist, most people are only concerned that the world works in a consistant way (so that actions have predictible consequences) and not so much with why things work the way that they do.
While we're on the issue of a God that directly intervenes in the world to pose tests and answer prayers, why would such a God permit so much suffering to exist? Aside from the question of human-caused suffering and "free will" (which I hope exists, even though that is an interesting problem in its own right), there is a lot of suffering caused by natural events (tsunamis, mosquitoes, etc). If God created the world, He created it with these things in it to plague innocent people. If I had the power to order the universe according to my will, you can be sure I'd pay some attention to those things and maybe less to sporting events (where every player seems to want to credit God with scoring that touchdown). Of course I am anthropomorphising God, but what could be more anthropomorphic than the Old Testament God who turns people into pillars of salt for looking over their shoulder, or drowns the whole planet (almost) rather than just appearing in the sky one day and saying so that everybody could hear and see, "Look people, I'm real, I'm here and I see what you're up to, and you'd better shape up!". We're onto the Christian concept of God now, but the idea of an all-powerful but petulant entity who gets "lonely" one day and decides to create humans so they can "worship him", and then goes on to play a perpetual game of hide-and-seek (as per the theology I was taught in Sunday School) is about as anthropomorphic as it gets. Man creating God in his own image, as it were. It's much more parsimonious to believe that tsunamis and earthquakes happen as a result of plate tectonics, or parasites exist because of straightforward evolutionary processes, than to believe that it's all part of some cryptic "plan" according to the "will of God", which we will never understand because it is "hidden from mere human minds" (again with the Sunday School theology). "No laws of Nature were broken in the making of this disaster", so to speak.
Of course, there are those who avoid these questions by postulating a knob-twiddler God, one who started the "Big Bang", set Planck's constant so electrons and protons could get together and form atoms, and let things go on their own from there, maybe with a little nudge here or there to move things along. (Dinosaurs keeping the mammals down? This little asteroid will take care of that!) I don't think that kind of God is what most people have in mind when they think of a divine presence in the Universe. Anyway, that is a minimalist God-of-the-gaps that will sublimate away as science fills in more of the holes in our understanding.
Well there's more but this has turned into a thesis so I'll cut it off here. There is no anger there, although if I did believe there was a God who could prevent disease or suffering but was too focused on high-school football, then I would be angry. Max, you asked what leads one to question or reject the idea of God. I offer this with all due respect (really), and I'm curious what you will respond.
Don

What values do you use to help you through tough times?

Strength, love, beauty, kindness, forgiveness . . . I guess anything that draws my attention to the good things about being alive.

My friends and family are very important to me, and they have helped me through some tough times (and hopefully I have helped some of them too). I also find nature/being outdoors to be therapeutic.

But I think that inner strength is what helps me the most through tough times. And when I am having a hard time finding it, the other things I have mentioned are what help me to find it.

Hmm, that's a hard question to answer, but hopefully I am making a little bit of sense. ***

Good Answer! I also rely on those values for guidance. How did you learn to incorporate them into your life? Apart from studying the Bible, prayer and meditation, I never would have figured out how important they were, or how to use them.

Goodness Don, that is a lot of stuff. I can't say that I fault you on anything you said. The little I think I know about God pales in comparison to what I don't know. The little I do know is that His Word, the Bible, picked me up out of a chaotic, confusing, angry world I had created for myself and set
me free. For that I am joyously thankful.

Max,
A little joy is as much as we can ask for I think, and I am glad your beliefs bring you that, as do mine for me in their own way. I would never try to "prove" to anyone that God doesn't exist (as many posters have noted you can't prove a negative), and I wouldn't wish to try to deprive anyone of a source of comfort and meaning. You did ask, though, what leads one to disbelieve, and so I did provide some (not quite all) of my reasons.
Don

Just think about where humanity would be today if people would have thought about chemistry, physics and mathematics instead of praying...

I think there was a Simpsons episode that explored that scenario ...

Yes, one could imagine that religiously motivated conflict throughout the centuries would not have occurred. (I’m less than convinced to put it diplomatically that all putatively religiously motivated conflict was purely religious in its origin.) Yes, religiously oriented bias, persecution, segregation, etc would not have occurred. (Again less than convinced that humans would not devise some other methods – Star Belly Sneeches anyone?)

Otoh, the world would have to give up Handel (im-ever-ho, Handel’s “Messiah” is reason alone to find value (!)), the Sistine Chapel, Notre Dame & it’s Rose window, the Bahamian Buddhas (which the Taliban did destroy … putatively for religious-motivated reasons [:/]), Machu Pichu, the Pyramids, Stonehenge, St. Basil’s Cathedral, the Urnes stavkirke and the other Stave Churches of Norway, the Bhagavad Gita, the Swayambhunath stupa in Kathmandu, every mani stone in Nepal & Tibet, the Kedarnath (Hindu shrine), from the simple Shinto and Buddhist shrines that one finds one (seemingly) every street corner in Kyoto & Nara to the Heian Imperial Shinto Shrine, the Paleolithic Venus figurines … So much of humankind’s creative positive effort has been directed toward reflecting spirituality with some wonderful results!

I really don't think I'm that special ... it doesn't have to be one or the other. The human brain is complex enough to be able to do & to appreciate both - religion/sprituality/concept (which includes denial) of the 'higher power' & science.

Related: there is evidence (real evidence, not individual subjective observations or perceptions) that scientists who make major & revolutionary discoveries have abilities both in science and in the arts and do not lack cognitive complexity.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

I also rely on those values for guidance. How did you learn to incorporate them into your life?

That's even harder to answer . . . I guess through life experiences, learning from many different sources. What feels good vs. what feels bad. I certainly don't have it all figured out though. I think I learn a little bit every day, and hopefully I will continue to do so for the rest of my life. :)

I also rely on those values for guidance. How did you learn to incorporate them into your life?

That's even harder to answer . . . I guess through life experiences, learning from many different sources. What feels good vs. what feels bad. I certainly don't have it all figured out though. I think I learn a little bit every day, and hopefully I will continue to do so for the rest of my life. :)

I am sure you will!

Max,
A little joy is as much as we can ask for I think, and I am glad your beliefs bring you that, as do mine for me in their own way. I would never try to "prove" to anyone that God doesn't exist (as many posters have noted you can't prove a negative), and I wouldn't wish to try to deprive anyone of a source of comfort and meaning. You did ask, though, what leads one to disbelieve, and so I did provide some (not quite all) of my reasons.***

You certainly have put in a lot of time contemplating the big issues. I am impressed with the scope of your effort and hope that you continue searching. The Bible says that nobody can know the Mind of God and that His Wisdom is foolishness to us. I agree with you, in that I wish He had arranged things a little differently. But once I get passed that wishful thinking I find there is plenty He has done to more than make up for what He has left hidden for now.

I think the reason people believe in

"THE reason" nice.

I think that if you took 10000 people that believed in a deity of some sort (I don't care either way), you'd get 10000 reasons. Some that align with that description, some that are nowhere near it, and everything in between.

To think one can get into their minds and simplify so much and so negatively is nuts. But it is easier to just put everyone in a uniform bucket and then proceed to spit into it. Heck, it's even easier with policial groups, races, etc.....

I like it, it makes me feel special. I can cling to it, like my agnosticism, and my guns and my general disdain for small ratlike dogs.

So, I think that generically belittling another's beliefs just because they disagree with yours, by making it about fear or something negative, is etc, etc, etc, etc

so there

I like what Rehmwa said here because even tho' he may be agnostic, he's for being respectful of other people's beliefs. That's rare these days. You can disagree without being snotty and smart-mouthed.
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

My problem is that I just don't get it. People are in the main, pretty smart but some seem to want to believe in myths & legends and the improbable.

I have viewed that psychological phenomenon myself, and find the degree of blind faith people put into things, amazing. And yes, I can feel all of those atheistic fingers pointing at me. But all I can tell you is the dynamic and life changing power of the Christian Way of Life and the Word of God set forth in the Bible speaks for itself to those of us who have heard His calling. It is not a blind faith, it is a rush of power, purpose and destiny. The proof of a faith is in what it produces, and can be verified by repeatable results in the lives of others. Not by data printouts from some lab experiment.

My problem is that I just don't get it. People are in the main, pretty smart but some seem to want to believe in myths & legends and the improbable.

I have viewed that psychological phenomenon myself, and find the degree of blind faith people put into things, amazing. And yes, I can feel all of those atheistic fingers pointing at me. But all I can tell you is the dynamic and life changing power of the Christian Way of Life and the Word of God set forth in the Bible speaks for itself to those of us who have heard His calling. It is not a blind faith, it is a rush of power, purpose and destiny. The proof of a faith is in what it produces, and can be verified by repeatable results in the lives of others. Not by data printouts from some lab experiment.

In plain language, you don't have anything in support of your claims.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.