nerdgirl

What would you ask GEN Petraeus or Amb Crocker?

General Petraeus and Amb Crocker are testifying before Congress on Iraq. First is the Senate Armed Services Committee (SASC) – just started.

Available via C-SPAN.

Hypothetically, if you were on the SASC or Senate Foreign Relations Committee, what would you ask?

I would ask GEN Petraeus about implementation of counterinsurgency (COIN) strategy and tactics. How are the ideas being translated into action? Successes and recommendations for operationalizing the strategic aspects? I would ask him to address criticisms such as those by LTC Gian Gentile. I would ask for comments on LTC John Nagl’s proposed Advisory Corps.

I would ask Amb Crocker if he sees a civilian equivalent of LTC Nagl … and if not, why not? (An easier ‘out’ would be for him to site the same reasons SecDef Gates has previously.) And if he does, I would ask then for his recommendations on how to revitalize that capacity?

I would ask for both for their comments on progress of SSTR efforts. Specifically where does he need help and what recommendations he would have for successful, executable SSTR? And who should be doing it, especially 'R'? (I anticipate GEN Petraeus’ answer to the last will be “not the Army” or “not the uniformed military.”) Who then?

In consideration of varying accounts of increasing frustration w/r/t Iranian involvement in attacks on U.S. and Iraqi Army units, should the US take a more aggressive approach toward Iran, or does Iran represent the kind of strategic and enduring threat to American security posed by transnational and radical Islamists terrorist groups like al Qa’eda?

To GEN Petraeus: Recently, your image and person has been appropriated by conservative groups such as ‘Freedom’s Watch’ to support the policies of the Bush Administration. Although there is little you can do about such groups from Baghdad, it is hard to imagine GEN George C. Marshall permitting his image and person to be similarly used for political purposes during World War II. Do you worry that you, personally, and the General Officer Corps in a larger sense, are being over-politicized?

I would ask Amb. Crocker about the Iraq central bank and oil revenues.

What would you ask? And why?

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

I would ask General Petraeus if he wanted to get in on a load. He probably hasn't had too much time to make a skydive lately.

Then I would ask him to sign my logbook B|

Excellent! B|

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

I would ask him if he could answer the questions you posted but from the standpoint of a retired General.
I'm not asking him to retire, just to be as candid, honest and open as possible.

“The last thing that America wants, the last thing that you want, is for currently serving general officers to stand up against our political leadership” ...........

“I think once you are retired, you have a responsibility to the nation, to your oath, to the country, to state your opinion”

Lt. Gen. Ricardo S. Sanchez (ret).

because he is being bombarded with questions, many of which have no easy answer, i'd ask him one, which would be simple to accept....

"General, how about coming over to the house for dinner one night, at the home of an appreciative, saddened, and sympathetic American Family....???

No shop talk, no politics,,,, No Iraq
Just the basics...;);)
antipasto, lasagna or mannicotti, veal parmaggiani, roasted chicken, potatoes, vegetables, salad, dessert..... and a chance to unwind from a place where 'you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't....'

reminds me of a song from decades ago...
" ... and we're
ankle-deep
knee-deep
waist-deep
chest-deep
in the Big Muddy.....
and the Big Fool says to Push On"

jmy.

"blindly following BAD leadership is NOT a sign of patriotism"...
seen recently on a bumper sticker

If I were going to ask him a question, first I'd make sure that I looked really good.

I'd have my advisors brief me on where the cameras are. Then I'd say:

"General Petraeus: give the amount of money spent on this war, along with the ancillary benefits being given to right-wing corporations to line the pockets of those cronies of Bush and Cheney, like Haliburton and the like using taxpayer dollars, don't you agree that the money would be far better spent by providing mortgage relief and healthcare for all citizens as opposed to bloody capitalist oil wars that also benefit big oil?

My opponents in the upcoming election seem to believe that these issues are not important. My colleague in the Senate, it seems, would rather be chucking spears, oops, that came out wrong, for I did not intend to refer to his race as a black man, but rather my opponent would rather drop bombs than take care of the American people."

Thus making it politics as usual...:)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Best line thus far ...

“War is not a linear phenomenon; it’s a calculus not arithmetic.”

/Marg

I LOVE THAT LINE

Unfortunately according to all those armchair quarterbacks whom you would assume were retired generals by the way they talk despite having never served themselves, combat is a simple equation. It's sad really.

As for what I would ask Gen Patraeus, how well is security holding up in the areas where responsibility has been trasnfered completely to the iraqis.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Unfortunately according to all those armchair quarterbacks whom you would assume were retired generals by the way they talk despite having never served themselves, combat is a simple equation. It's sad really.

Yes, there were some less than stellar questions, along the lines of

Q. "Why haven't we secured our ports?"

A. "Well, it's been tough to do from Baghdad, but we'll get on it."

Over all, better than the previous testimony. No major flubs - some very good questions and some very good answers.

As for what I would ask Gen Patraeus, how well is security holding up in the areas where responsibility has been trasnfered completely to the iraqis.

I would like to know that too.

A friend/former colleague (& retired FA74/Chem Corps LTC) commented w/r/t the Congressional hearings that the wrong guys were testifying. Both GEN Petraeus and AMB Crocker are executing policy as it is directed to them do so. Sure they have input and options to influence/impact crucially how policies are executed.

When is LTG Doug Lute going to be called to testify?

VR/Marg

Tibetan Buddhist saying

How appropriate that there is a General in the Whitehouse named Lt. General Lute [pronounced LOOT]

Seem he fits right in with the policies of the Administration to do just that for 7 years now.

How appropriate that you shoud come out of left field with a Bush bashing comment and completely ignore the debate at hand.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

I would like to know that too.

The areas I was in where the Iraqis were largely responsible for their own security it seemed that their hearts were in the right place they just needed a little extra guidance and support. After a few short months of working with them and setting out some requirements for them to meet in order to keep our support they were hangin tough without us. The only time they asked for help was when they were going after a target known for having a fair share of armed cronies at their disposal, they wanted us to go so they had the big guns if things went south. It was just a lack of confidence honestly, they were more than capable of handling those situations, and everytime we rolled through one of them they got a little bit more confidence in their own abilities.

They've got all the tools and are moving in the right direction, some parts of the country are just tougher than others. IMO

--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Seem he fits right in with the policies of the Administration to do just that for 7 years now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How appropriate that you shoud come out of left field with a Bush bashing comment and completely ignore the debate at hand.

It is COMPLETELY appropriate since we are talking about the General running the war and the head politician in country.... both there at the behest of the Bush Administration.

You can not EVEN try to convince anyone that the Bush Administrations policies have not allowed the general LOOTING of the US treasury.

The War profiteering that has gone on in this nice little adventure that the NEO CONS dreamed up far surpasses ANYTHING that has ever occured in ANY WAR that the US has EVER been involved with. The NEO CONS are running off to their banks.. laughing all the way at the poor rubes who have actually had to foot the bills and to actually be there to fight.>:(>:(>:(

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=War_profiteering

http://www.alternet.org/waroniraq/41083/

The history of American war profiteering is rife with egregious examples of incompetence, fraud, tax evasion, embezzlement, bribery and misconduct. As war historian Stuart Brandes has suggested, each new war is infected with new forms of war profiteering. Iraq is no exception. From criminal mismanagement of Iraq's oil revenues to armed private security contractors operating with virtual impunity, this war has created opportunities for an appalling amount of corruption. What follows is a list of some of the worst Iraq war profiteers who have bilked American taxpayers and undermined the military's mission.

But as long as you and others dont mind the waste and the damage the administration has done to our country.. I guess its ok... Carry ON

I wonder how many US Soldiers would have died in this fiasco... IF the war on terror actually had been done in a less incompetent manner>:(>:(>:(

I never said I didn't agree with you that thre's a bunch of people profiting from this war, but to come into the thread, make no mention of the topic at hand and just post your mindless Bush bashing while completely ignoring the conversation going on in this thread seems about on the same level as a bunch of college students throwing protest bumper stickers on random cars.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Face it.. these guys are Administration sucklings... and are in charge of implementing the bullshit policies... It is completely appropriate to ask them the hard questions of WHY they are allowing it to continue....IT is far better to Bush Bash than the incessant Kissing of Bush Ass that permeates so many of the dead enders who support him and his policies..

How appropriate that there is a General in the Whitehouse named Lt. General Lute [pronounced LOOT]

Seem he fits right in with the policies of the Administration to do just that for 7 years now.***

I'm failing to see the question in that post of yours for Gen. Petraeus.

Did you even bother to read my post?
--Dwight D. Eisenhower