speedy

Above average hurricane season.

The hurricane season is another one of those politicized weather events. It was interesting to see that it stated that Gray is NOT a proponent of global warming causing more powerful hurricanes.

Hurricane predictions sure are an interesting thing. I'd love to get into that business.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Then there is this:

Average global temperatures in 2008 are forecast to be lower than in previous years, thanks to the cooling effect of the ocean current in the Pacific, U.N. meteorologists say.

The World Meteorological Organisation's secretary-general, Michel Jarraud, said it was likely that La Nina, an abnormal cooling of sea surface temperatures in the Pacific Ocean, would continue into the summer.

If the forecast holds true, global temperatures will not have risen since 1998, prompting some to question climate change theory.

• Click here to visit FOXNews.com's Natural Science Center.

A small number of scientists doubt whether this means global warming has peaked and the Earth has proved more resilient to greenhouse gases than predicted, but Jarraud insists this is not the case and notes that 1998 temperatures would still be well above average for the century.

"When you look at climate change you should not look at any particular year," he told the BBC. "You should look at trends over a pretty long period and the trend of temperature globally is still very much indicative of warming."

RelatedStories
Junk Science: Bush Beats Gore on Climate? Australia Opens Plant to Bury Greenhouse Gases Underground Gore Announces 3-Year 'We' Campaign to Combat Global Warming Millions to Turn Off Lights for 'Earth Hour' Saturday EPA in No Rush to Comply With 2007 Supreme Court Greenhouse Gas Order "La Nina is part of what we call 'variability'. There has always been and there will always be cooler and warmer years, but what is important for climate change is that the trend is up."

Experts at the U.K. Met Office's Hadley Centre for forecasting in Exeter said the world could expect another record temperature within five years or less, the BBC reports, probably associated with an episode of El Nino.

AND THIS, TOO:

http://www.lavoisier.com.au/papers/Conf2007/Archibald2007.pdf
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

La Nina, an abnormal cooling of sea surface temperatures in the Pacific Ocean

We've had la nina conditions in 28 of the calendar years since 1950, including July 1998-February, 2001 with La Nina conditions (Except July-Sept, 2000 - where ocean temp was .4 degrees below normal versus .5).

And this is the first La Nina we've had since it ended in February, 2001. The 2005 hurricane season was not an El Nino or La Nina.

How is it that something that happens so frequently is "abnormal" when it happens so frequently? La Nina and El Nino appear to be NORMAL.
We haven't gone for more than 60 months without an El Nino or La Nina condition since 1950, and the 60 month period ended in 1963.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ensoyears.shtml

Why the hell is something that happens so often "abnormal?"

Why the hell is something that happens so often "abnormal?"

Because normality is an illusion. It never happens.
What is normal is the middle point between the extremes. It is only a theoretical description.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

But doesn't that use of the phrase indicate that there is something wrong?

There seems to be NOTHING wrong or abnormal with La Nina or El Nino. Nothing. Zip.

Abnormal? I don't buy it. And this is the sort of spin that makes me such a skeptic about so much else that is being said.

> But doesn't that use of the phrase indicate that there is something wrong?

?? No. I normally bike to work. But today I drove because I'm going up to Perris tonight. Doesn't mean anything is wrong.

:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

> But doesn't that use of the phrase indicate that there is something wrong?

?? No. I normally bike to work. But today I drove because I'm going up to Perris tonight. Doesn't mean anything is wrong.

Dateline, Boulder, Colorado:

Abnormal vaginal bleeding has been reported among the female population between the ages of 14 and 44, with some earlier and later, and with some exhibiting none. This bleeding, occurring roughly every month, has caused suspicion amongst medical professionals and male scientists.

"This is abnormal in many ways. First, there is a lack of vaginal bleeding more often than there is bleeding.

"Second, bleeding normally occurs in response to injury, yet we find no sign of trauma in these women who bleed.

"Finally, we dudes are naturally freaked out by stuff like this. Women seem to accept it as a normal part of womanhood, but men seem to get squeamish about the subject. It just ain't right with the masculine image.

"This is an abnormality that we believe may be the result of climate change. Women are far more susceptible to environmental changes, as any husband knows. The more climate change we get, the more we can expect women to bleed from their vaginas."

Bill - A regular and expected occurence is NOT abnormal. A woman gets a period with less frequency than La Nina occurs, and possibly less frequently than the frequency in which you do not ride a bike to work.

Is a period therefore "abnormal?" Or is it a normal thing?

Dr. Gray's hurricane predictions are NOT landfall predictions.
There's a meteorologist in Florida who predicts landfalls based on Atlantic grid crossings.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

>Is a period therefore "abnormal?" Or is it a normal thing?

I had a friend in college who played rugby pretty intensely, and trained a lot. (Running, swimming.) She normally didn't get periods - but when she did, it didn't mean there was anything wrong.

I sometimes get PVC's. Most people do, on occasion. They are not part of a normal cardiac rhythm - but again, it doesn't mean there's anything wrong.