Andy_Copland

Stop Shoving Christianity Down My Throat

Down your throats? No, I dont think so. Since so much time is spent trying to remove religion from everything it just seems that way. Reason? that is easy. It threatens some people. Why? Cause they want to do what they want to do with no guilt. Morality is prickely......

What utter utter uneducated rubbish,,.,,,,

First you couldn’t be more wrong; even if you tried… it has nothing to do with morality… in fact I tell you what, point me to a study (peer reviewed of course) that shows Atheist and Agnostics behave any less morally the religious believers..

Since us Atheist lack any morale compass, then we would just ignore the drowning child, or fallen elderly person!!!!!!

Also lets just for a moment ignore the inconvenient fact that religion has led people to commit a long litany of horrendous crimes from God’s command to Moses to slaughter the Midianites, men, women,boys and non-virginal girls, through the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Thirty Years War, innumerable conflicts between Sunni and Shiite moslems, and terrorists who blow themselves up in the confident belief that they are going straight to paradise. Is this the morale code that we should teach our children??

Also it is shown that certain elements of morality are universal across all religious belief systems with doctrinal differences, including cultures such as China where philosophical outlooks are more prevalent then religion. One view is that a divine creator handed us the universal bits at the moment of creation. The alternative, consistent with the facts of biology and geology, is that we have evolved, over millions of years, a moral faculty that generates intuitions about right and wrong.

Any way back to the initial point, Religious fanaticism in all its forms leads inevitably to bigotry, hatred, and, too often, violent confrontations. That foremost is the main reason I would like to see it removed.

Humanity's next leap will be when we rid ourselves of god, entirely. If Marx is hated, especially today, for anything at all, it may be because he was willing to take the one step toward human intellectual evolution by writing, "Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."

So I think we all need to ponder for a moment and follow John lennon wise advise…

“Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today”
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

Down your throats? No, I dont think so. Since so much time is spent trying to remove religion from everything it just seems that way. Reason? that is easy. It threatens some people. Why? Cause they want to do what they want to do with no guilt. Morality is prickely......

First you couldn’t be more wrong; even if you tried… it has nothing to do with morality… in fact I tell you what, point me to a study (peer reviewed of course) that shows Atheist and Agnostics behave any less morally the religious believers.. WHERE did I speak of either of these???

Since us Atheist lack any morale compass, then we would just ignore the drowning child, or fallen elderly person!!!!!!Again, I am not speaking of Atheists for Christ sake. Get a grip. I was speaking only of activists in the governement sense. shhheeeesh

Also lets just for a moment ignore the inconvenient fact that religion has led people to commit a long litany of horrendous crimes from God’s command to Moses to slaughter the Midianites, men, women,boys and non-virginal girls, through the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Thirty Years War, innumerable conflicts between Sunni and Shiite moslems, and terrorists who blow themselves up in the confident belief that they are going straight to paradise. Is this the morale code that we should teach our children?? Are you so insecure in your position you have to go into this crap and say things I never spoke of?

Also it is shown that certain elements of morality are universal across all religious belief systems with doctrinal differences, including cultures such as China where philosophical outlooks are more prevalent then religion. One view is that a divine creator handed us the universal bits at the moment of creation. The alternative, consistent with the facts of biology and geology, is that we have evolved, over millions of years, a moral faculty that generates intuitions about right and wrong.While this may be true once again this is not even close to my point

Any way back to the initial point, Religious fanaticism in all its forms leads inevitably to bigotry, hatred, and, too often, violent confrontations. That foremost is the main reason I would like to see it removed. Fanaticism comes from both sides. Is it to that that I speak. Activits use the courts to push thier point of view. Why are they so insecure? Why do they want to change years of tradition? Nothing was evolving the other way now it has turned into those that do believe having to defend themselves from the radicals who want no reference at all. Again, why?

Humanity's next leap will be when we rid ourselves of god, entirely. If Marx is hated, especially today, for anything at all, it may be because he was willing to take the one step toward human intellectual evolution by writing, "Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."Oh, now I get it. bye

So I think we all need to ponder for a moment and follow John lennon wise advise…

It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today”

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Let see, start out with a shot, take the I know best and you are wrong position, Do that again and then? an isult.

I explained my thinking, and frankly we've covered the subject so many times I didn't even really need to do that. God, or belief in God are in no way, shape or form essential components of human morality. Royd thinks they are, Royd is wrong. It's that simple.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

By the way, did you happen to notice this in an earlier post of mine?

Has NOTHING to do with God Your right, ........I doubt it:S

Abraham Lincoln

Let see, start out with a shot, take the I know best and you are wrong position, Do that again and then? an isult.

I explained my thinking, and frankly we've covered the subject so many times I didn't even really need to do that. God, or belief in God are in no way, shape or form essential components of human morality. Royd thinks they are, Royd is wrong. It's that simple.

No, you took posititons of aboslutes and threw insults in the process.

God knows you know you are right:S
Abraham Lincoln

I never said is was, in fact, if you would take the time to understand my post you would see that. What do YOU think those that are trying to remove any type reference to a GOD from the gove and every place else think????? Hmmm???

Can you see it know or are you too dam busy trying to prove YOU are right instead of hearing anything else:S
Abraham Lincoln

No, you took posititons of aboslutes and threw insults in the process.

What do you mean "No" I took a position of absolutes? I know I took a position of absolutes, I just explained that I took a position of absolutes, and I also explained why Royd is absolutely wrong, and why God or belief in God is absolutely not a prerequisite to morality.

And what insults?

God, or belief in God are in no way, shape or form essential components of human morality.

According to whom, you? Please:P

That's all it takes. I don't believe in God in any way, shape or form and I can be moral. Now unless you're going to suggest that I'm a closeted psycopath, or that you know more about what I believe than I do I think I've just proved my point, eh?

I never said is was, in fact, if you would take the time to understand my post you would see that.

Dude, for fucks sake...

The post you took issue with that sparked this chain of posts with was a reply to Royd. In Royd's post he claimed that god and belief in god are essential elements of morality. Please - learn how to keep track of a simple conversation!

No, completely and utterly wrong. But as I said to Rush, if it makes you feel all fuzzy and superior to think that...

And it's not spelt with a 'Q'.

Ye who are without sin.......

99.99999% correct on spelling is still an A+.
It must have been a moment of byslexia.:P

I've just proved my point, eh?

Not at all, you have proved nothing other than inaccurate sentence structure unless you really think you speak for 100% of humanity.......well? If you are making the statement of your beliefs then write a sentence that reflects just that.
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

There is no overriding law of right and wrong

To think that you have to believe in some god in order to have a sense of morality is just silly. Not all people need external enforcement of basic good manners. A lot of people have goodness within themselves...lol.

Isn't it funny that you never have to teach a child to do wrong?

Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child.

And God-fearing parents have to teach their children just the same as athiests do.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I've just proved my point, eh?

Not at all, you have proved nothing other than inaccurate sentence structure unless you really think you speak for 100% of humanity.......well? If you are making the statement of your beliefs then write a sentence that reflects just that.

Then you miss the point.

If belief in God was not a universal prerequisite for morality (as Royd claims it is) then I would not be able to be moral and an atheist. Doesn't matter that it's only me. It only takes one.

Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child.

So now your saying that morality is taught? Which would mean it has nothing to do with an innate god-given sense of right and wrong? And since it is possible to teach a child right and wrong without recourse to the big guy in the sky, then I am not exactly sure where you think this leaves the rest of your argument?

First you couldn’t be more wrong; even if you tried… it has nothing to do with morality… in fact I tell you what, point me to a study (peer reviewed of course) that shows Atheist and Agnostics behave any less morally the religious believers.. WHERE did I speak of either of these???

Since us Atheist lack any morale compass, then we would just ignore the drowning child, or fallen elderly person!!!!!!Again, I am not speaking of Atheists for Christ sake. Get a grip. I was speaking only of activists in the governement sense. shhheeeesh

Also lets just for a moment ignore the inconvenient fact that religion has led people to commit a long litany of horrendous crimes from God’s command to Moses to slaughter the Midianites, men, women,boys and non-virginal girls, through the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Thirty Years War, innumerable conflicts between Sunni and Shiite moslems, and terrorists who blow themselves up in the confident belief that they are going straight to paradise. Is this the morale code that we should teach our children?? Are you so insecure in your position you have to go into this crap and say things I never spoke of?

Also it is shown that certain elements of morality are universal across all religious belief systems with doctrinal differences, including cultures such as China where philosophical outlooks are more prevalent then religion. One view is that a divine creator handed us the universal bits at the moment of creation. The alternative, consistent with the facts of biology and geology, is that we have evolved, over millions of years, a moral faculty that generates intuitions about right and wrong.While this may be true once again this is not even close to my point

Any way back to the initial point, Religious fanaticism in all its forms leads inevitably to bigotry, hatred, and, too often, violent confrontations. That foremost is the main reason I would like to see it removed. Fanaticism comes from both sides. Is it to that that I speak. Activits use the courts to push thier point of view. Why are they so insecure? Why do they want to change years of tradition? Nothing was evolving the other way now it has turned into those that do believe having to defend themselves from the radicals who want no reference at all. Again, why?

Humanity's next leap will be when we rid ourselves of god, entirely. If Marx is hated, especially today, for anything at all, it may be because he was willing to take the one step toward human intellectual evolution by writing, "Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."Oh, now I get it. bye

It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today”

Oh how painfull can this be... ok keep it simle this time.. you indicated that your belief is that people want to try and get rid of religion because then we will have no morality issues and we can all do what we want. This indicates that you seem to believe morality and religion are somewhat hand in hand... I simple stated and showed you that this is crap... we can all live quite morally without some all seeing skygod watching us.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

I was not addressing what Royd said. I was addressing your inaccurate statement and my response stands. Clearly I am not the one who misses the point.

OK, my objection restated;

I don't see why you feel my sentance structure is inaccurate. You took issue with my statement that belief in God is in no way an "essential component of human morality".

Now, if it was an essential component then it would be impossible for any human to be moral without it. I am a human who is moral without belief in God. I alone am sufficient to show that belief in God is not essential to human morality.

Please point out the flaw in my thinking here that you say I've missed.

You made a statement that "God, or belief in God are in no way, shape or form essential components of human morality" Your statement is all inclusive and therefore wrong because belief in God is essential for some people. Do you really believe that no one on the face of the earth believes that God is essential for morality? And since there is, your statement is wrong as it does not apply to them. And what makes your beliefs any more right than theirs? All I was saying is speak for you and not for me and others and I will do the same. Again, my previous statement stands.
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

And God-fearing parents have to teach their children just the same as athiests do.

You just said that some of us don't need the external teaching of good manners. I'd say those people are the execption, and few and far between.