nerdgirl

"Improving America’s Standing In the World"

The current issue of Foreign Policy explores the issue:

“We asked 12 of the world's leading thinkers to answer a question: What one policy or gesture can the next president of the United States make to improve America's standing in the world?”

Excerpts from a few of the recommendations that resonated with me:

[All emphasis nerdgirl]

Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich (R-GA)

“Listen: Few deeds are as simple and effective as the act of listening. But for the past seven years, people around the world have become convinced that the United States is unwilling to make even this small gesture. Their conviction has consequently hurt our ability to lead. We must not forget that successful leadership on the world stage, just as in one’s own home, depends upon the shared belief that all views are at least heard. The highest priority for the next U.S. president must be to persuade our friends and foes alike that the United States does indeed hear them.

“As soon as the new president is elected, he or she should immediately embark on a series of pre-inauguration visits to capitals around the world: not just London, Paris, and Jerusalem, but Ankara, Amman, Beijing, and Cairo. In the span of several weeks, the president should make dozens of stops in Latin America, the Middle East, Europe, Africa, and Asia. During these visits, not one moment needs to be spent trying to prove or demonstrate American power and dominance. Instead, the president-elect should simply listen. There should be no formal agenda, only questions. How do these other leaders think the United States can be most effective with its economic, military, and cultural might? And in turn, how do they propose to help achieve mutual goals during the next four years?

Listening does not mean obeying, or even agreeing. There is no obligation to accept or act upon the advice that is offered. The sole obligation is to understand the other side’s perspective.

“If the next president can reverse the perception that American power is deaf to the appeals of the world, the United States will once again be encouraged and expected to lead.

Jorge I. Domínguez (vice provost for international affairs at Harvard University)

The United States was the leading architect of the international laws and organizations sculpted in the wake of World War II. It built this multilateral framework because it was useful and because it was right.

“Torture? Waterboarding? It is difficult to accept such dishonorable practices being used by the same country that rightly denounced the horrific abuses that its adversaries employed against U.S. soldiers during wars in Korea and Vietnam. The United States should not torture the prisoners it holds, just as it would not want its citizens to be tortured anywhere in the world.

The next U.S. president must rebuild respect for international rules and organizations, many of which the United States once helped mightily to create. Let the behavior Americans expect and prefer on the part of other nations be the most basic guide to their own actions. The U.S. Declaration of Independence pledges 'our sacred honor'; the nation’s foreign policies should pledge no less.”

Reza Aslan (author)

”A few years ago, I was strolling through the Iranian city of Isfahan when I happened upon a group of teenagers sharing a picnic along the banks of the Zayandeh River. Catching my accented Persian, one of them asked where I lived. “I live in America,” I replied.

“The conversation suddenly came to a halt. A girl of 17 leaned in and whispered conspiratorially, ‘What is it like to live in a theocratic state?’

“That a young person living in the only country in the world in which the religious leaders are also the political authorities could believe, in all earnestness, that the United States has become a theocracy should be all the evidence Americans need that the so-called war on terror has corrupted America’s image abroad. From the moment U.S. President George W. Bush launched what he called “a crusade” against “evil-doers,” there has been a growing sense, not just in the Muslim world but among even our closest allies, that U.S. foreign policy is being filtered through an unprecedented union of religious and political ideology.

“Although politicians can perhaps be forgiven for using religiously tinged language to appeal to Americans’ innate sense of moral righteousness, it bears noting that the United States is embroiled in a global conflict with an enemy whose primary goal is to convince the world that the war on terror is in fact a crusade against Islam. Seven years of inflammatory, Manichaean rhetoric about “good and evil” from the White House has only validated that view. It has allowed America’s enemies to frame the scope and supposed meaning of the current conflict against Islamist terrorism.

“The next American president must, in both word and deed, aggressively work to strip the war on terror of the overt religious connotations forced upon it by reckless politicians. A reversal of public rhetoric is not the only necessity, but also the swift and public condemnation of those who dare to promote a religious agenda in this global conflict, such as members of the U.S. military, politically influential religious leaders, and polarizing politicians.”

Archbishop Desmond Tutu

“After the September 11 attacks, an amazing outpouring of sympathy, concern, and love for the United States sprang forth from all over the world. It was proof that there is no instinctive or deep-seated hostility to the United States, no automatic anti-Americanism. There is, of course, frequent resentment of particular policies. The Reagan White House, for example, pursued constructive engagement with the apartheid government of South Africa. Many of us in South Africa opposed this course of action vehemently, but it did not make us anti-American.

“Today, the negative feelings about the United States have been provoked by the arrogance of unilateralism.

“More than anything else, the United States is looked upon fondly for its remarkable generosity. Europe will never forget the charity of the Marshall Plan after the devastation of World War II. America needs to be reminded that its history and example have provided millions with inspiration for their own struggles for freedom, democracy, and a better life. If the world’s superpower has the grace and modesty to say it is sorry, people would rub their eyes in disbelief, pinch themselves, and then smile because a new day had dawned.”

What would you recommend?

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

I think it's difficult to improve one's standing "in the world." Those same policies post-WWII that are mentioned are derided by many nowadays as imperialistic.

However, the first thing that we do is say, "We fucked up. Our stated reasons for invading Iraq were invalidated. To the world and to Iraq, we apologize." Then work at getting out of there.

Among those that we wish to count on as our friends, we should go back to being what America is about. In WWII, there was a saying about surviving the war.

"Be a good German and join the infantry. Volunteer for the front line and surrender to the first American you see."

So what we do is provide the world with a sense that we are still about fairness and benefit of the doubt. And that we are realistic. We will treat prisoners, foreign and domestic - fairly. And we will provide procedural and substantive due process of law to everyone - even those who hate us."

"We, as the United States, do make mistakes. And when we do, we work to fix them."

Of course, it won't happen..

My wife is hotter than your wife.

>What would be different?

We would be respected instead of hated. We would be a big country that's doing its own thing instead of the country that killed many people's mothers, fathers and children. We'd be 23rd on the list of terrorist targets instead of first. We'd be emulated by other countries instead of despised.

In other words - if we are, as many people believe, a country founded on christian principles, we would actually be following those principles.

>Why should I be concerned about it?

Did 9/11 concern you? Want another one? Would seeing another 4000 troops killed concern you? If so, then it is wise to concern yourself with it.

>When did our "standing" change?

When we, in the words of John Quincy Adams, went "abroad in search of monsters to destroy."

=============
Wherever the standard of freedom and independence has been or shall be unfurled, there will her [America’s] heart, her benedictions and her prayers be. But she goes not abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own. She will recommend the general cause, by the countenance of her voice, and the benignant sympathy of her example. She well knows that by once enlisting under other banners than her own, were they even the banners of foreign independence, she would involve herself, beyond the power of extrication, in all the wars of interest and intrigue, of individual avarice, envy, and ambition, which assume the colors and usurp the standard of freedom. The fundamental maxims of her policy would insensibly change from liberty to force…. She might become the dictatress of the world: she would be no longer the ruler of her own spirit.
===============

What would you recommend?

I loved Desmond Tutus answer... it give me hope for our world...

BUT....I think it would fall on deaf ears.. no matter what we do... in the eyes of those in the Islamic world who have attacked us and wish to attack us again till we conform to THEIR Demands... demands that are a sad fantasy in their twisted minds.

When did our "standing" change?

Most dramatically: when the Soviet Union broke up, the US became the lone superpower.

More recently: as part of GWOT - the invasion of Iraq, Abu Ghraib, ‘extraordinary rendition,’ and Guantanamo.

Why should I be concerned about it?

EDITED to add: it's a legitimate question that deserves a response. "Why should America's standing matter?"
From a 100k perspective:

From a capitalist perspective, it’s a globalized world out there. Markets.

Bill provided the domestic national security and the foreign deployment reasons.

From a normative (moral) perspective, it’s President Reagan’s invocation John Winthrop’s vision for America to be that “shining city on a hill.”

It was President Reagan, who in March 1989, called the U.N.’s Universal Declaration of Human Rights (which was led to adoption (w/out dissent) by Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt): “For people of good will around the world, that document is more than just words: It's a global testament of humanity, a standard by which any humble person on Earth can stand in judgment of any government on Earth.”

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

So what we do is provide the world with a sense that we are still about fairness and benefit of the doubt. And that we are realistic. We will treat prisoners, foreign and domestic - fairly. And we will provide procedural and substantive due process of law to everyone - even those who hate us."

"We, as the United States, do make mistakes. And when we do, we work to fix them."

Heartily concur!

Tibetan Buddhist saying

Well, since doing the right thing obviously doesn't matter, maybe your own self-interest does.

You wouldn't owe YOUR share of the cost of a $TRILLION war.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>What would be different?

We would be respected instead of hated. (By whom Bill?) We would be a big country that's doing its own thing instead of the country that killed many people's mothers, fathers and children. We'd be 23rd on the list of terrorist targets instead of first. (you think we would be less of a terror target if the whole world loved and repected us? Take off the rose colored galsees)We'd be emulated by other countries instead of despised.(What countries despise us?)

In other words - if we are, as many people believe, a country founded on christian principles, we would actually be following those principles.

>Why should I be concerned about it?

Did 9/11 concern you? Want another one? Would seeing another 4000 troops killed concern you? If so, then it is wise to concern yourself with it. (so you're a part of the "it's our fault" crowd?)

>When did our "standing" change?

When we, in the words of John Quincy Adams, went "abroad in search of monsters to destroy."

(so that would be when? FDR? Ike? Kennedy? Nixon? Ford? Reagan? Carter? Bush 42, Clinton, or GWB?. Don't have to look very far to see any of these going abroad in search of monsters to destroy)
=============
Wherever the standard of freedom and independence has been or shall be unfurled, there will her [America’s] heart, her benedictions and her prayers be. But she goes not abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own. She will recommend the general cause, by the countenance of her voice, and the benignant sympathy of her example. She well knows that by once enlisting under other banners than her own, were they even the banners of foreign independence, she would involve herself, beyond the power of extrication, in all the wars of interest and intrigue, of individual avarice, envy, and ambition, which assume the colors and usurp the standard of freedom. The fundamental maxims of her policy would insensibly change from liberty to force…. She might become the dictatress of the world: she would be no longer the ruler of her own spirit.
===============

Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Most dramatically: when the Soviet Union broke up, the US became the lone superpower.

More recently: as part of GWOT - the invasion of Iraq, Abu Ghraib, ‘extraordinary rendition,’ and Guantanamo.
Fair enough. But what about the Iran hostages in 1979? Pan AM 103? Achille Lauro? The list goes on and on. All of it prior to the fall of the USSR. Why is it a problem now and not then?

EDITED to add: it's a legitimate question that deserves a response. "Why should America's standing matter?"
From a 100k perspective:

From a capitalist perspective, it’s a globalized world out there. Markets.

According to the Department of State foreign investment $1.5 trillion on a historical cost basis or, as of 2006, $2.7 trillion at market value of publicly traded firms. They hate us but they keep investing here.

Bill provided the domestic national security and the foreign deployment reasons.

From a normative (moral) perspective, it’s President Reagan’s invocation John Winthrop’s vision for America to be that “shining city on a hill.”

It was President Reagan, who in March 1989, called the U.N.’s Universal Declaration of Human Rights (which was led to adoption (w/out dissent) by Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt): “For people of good will around the world, that document is more than just words: It's a global testament of humanity, a standard by which any humble person on Earth can stand in judgment of any government on Earth.”

So it's only the US that doesn't adhere to this doctrine? We're the only country open enough to reveal what we're doing. Is it right? I can't answer that. Necessary...perhaps. I can assure you that if it was my son or daughter in harm's way and we had someone who knew details that would save their lives I'd be standing by at the faucet ready to fill the tank for the waterboarding excercise.
VR/Marg

Destinations by Roxanne

>(By whom Bill?)

Name a country. France. Germany. Pakistan.

>(you think we would be less of a terror target if the whole world loved and
>repected us?)

We would be less of a terror target if we killed fewer parents and children.

Do you hate the people who pulled off 9/11? Why? Do you hate Islam? Or do you hate the people who killed 3000 americans? Other people, believe it or not, are much like you.

>(so you're a part of the "it's our fault" crowd?)

Nope. If you continually harass your neighbor - blow leaves into his yard, ring his doorbell at 3am and run away, scare the crap out of his kids when they walk on the sidewalk, sue him every other week for some nonsense - and he snaps and punches you out, it is his fault. He is the criminal.

Still, it might be a good idea to NOT do that to your neighbor and avoid the issue altogether.

>(Don't have to look very far to see any of these going abroad in search of
>monsters to destroy)

Yep, which is sad.

Well, since doing the right thing obviously doesn't matter, maybe your own self-interest does.

You wouldn't owe YOUR share of the cost of a $TRILLION war.

How does that relate to our standing in the world John? Try to stay focused on the topic please.

Knew I'd have fun with this.

The greatest critics of America are often Americans, forever striving to improve every sector of its national life. America is not above criticism, but it remains a nation that is by far the most dynamic, most innovative, most devoted to the rule of law and equality for all its citizens.

Americans need not worry much about “restoring” our standing among the nations of the world. We are held in very good standing, thank you.

http://www.usadaily.com/article.cfm?articleID=183759

Destinations by Roxanne

What would be different?

We'd have an easier time protecting our strategic interests. It's a lot easier to get people to cooperate with us than to have to engage in some more high-intensity diplomacy.

Because, like it or not, we are part of this big planet and it's better to be respected and liked than to be disrespected and feared.

After the cold war ended. There is no one central big bad guy out there to worry about - just a decentralized perceived enemy out there to spread fear about.

How about working towards a nation without fingerpointing and merely interested in smoothing things over. NOT APPEASEMENT, but smoothing things over that can be smoothed over.

Example? There is little discourse about our involvement in Afghanistan. Just about everybody agrees that it was, and is, a righteous cause. But that righteousness is lost in the face of Iraq.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

>(By whom Bill?)

Name a country. France. Germany. Pakistan.

Chirac is gone, so is Shroeder. Let's look at Sarkozy & Merkel shall we? The 9/11 Commission Report identified the government of President Musharraf as the best hope for stability in Pakistan
and Afghanistan, and it recommended that the United States make a long-term commitment
to provide comprehensive support for Islamabad so long as Pakistan itself is committed to
combating extremism and to a policy of “enlightened moderation.” http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/crs/ib94041.pdf
Since 2001 our aid to Pakistan has gone from 91 million to 781 million in 2006. A total of $2,617,000,000.00 in a 6 year period. Seems like we're trying.

>(you think we would be less of a terror target if the whole world loved and
>repected us?)

We would be less of a terror target if we killed fewer parents and children. What parents and children are you referring to?

Do you hate the people who pulled off 9/11? Why? Do you hate Islam? Or do you hate the people who killed 3000 americans? Other people, believe it or not, are much like you.

I hate radical islam. Do you think we should embrace them? How do we deal with them? How do we deal with people whose goal is our death? your death Bill. Tell me how we do that.

>(so you're a part of the "it's our fault" crowd?)

Nope. If you continually harass your neighbor - blow leaves into his yard, ring his doorbell at 3am and run away, scare the crap out of his kids when they walk on the sidewalk, sue him every other week for some nonsense - and he snaps and punches you out, it is his fault. He is the criminal.

Still, it might be a good idea to NOT do that to your neighbor and avoid the issue altogether.

As I thought. You think it's our fault.

>(Don't have to look very far to see any of these going abroad in search of
>monsters to destroy)

Yep, which is sad.

Really? Sad that FDR got involved in WWII? Sad that Truman used a nuke on Japan? Cuban missile crisis was wrong? C'mon. Revisionist historians will always spin things to fit their views.

Destinations by Roxanne

What countries despise us?

The Pew Global Attitudes Project has tried to do something akin to measuring that in their 47-nation survey, which found that international respect for America, China & Russia (what they call global powers) has declined over the last 5 years.

Between 2002 & 2007, 26 countries opinion of America became less favorable, while only 5 became more favorable. Two remained approximately the same. Additionally, "Favorable ratings of America are lower in 26 of 33 countries for which trends are available."

The Pew survey also notes that there are exceptions – opinion toward the US is largely favorable (very favorable in some cases) in African countries below North Africa. And then there are cases like Turkey – in which 83% of those surveyed like our way of doing business, but 81% dislike “American ideas about democracy.”

Remember the worldwide positive feeling for the US immediately after the attacks of September 11th when France’s Le Monde proclaimed:

“We are all Americans! We are all New Yorkers, just as surely as John F. Kennedy declared himself to be a Berliner in 1962 when he visited Berlin. Indeed, just as in the gravest moments of our own history, how can we not feel profound solidarity with those people, that country, the United States, to whom we are so close and to whom we owe our freedom, and therefore our solidarity?”

Alan Caruba is, of course, entitled to his (partisan) opinion in that Opinion-Editorial, as are you. :)
The historical and current events that Caruba notes argue for President Reagan's vision: "Where did these nations [Burma, Georgia, Pakistan, etc.] and people learn about democracy and representative government? For the most part, the United States of America has been both the example and the instrument for the spread of these concepts."

Please keep in mind the first word of the thread title: "improving." That doesn't imply that one is starting from a position of unilateral, global despise. It's about being better! Every single one of the writers who I originally quoted -- from Rep Gingrich (R-GA) to Archbishop Tutu -- sited America's future potential to and past history of inspiring the kind of actions that Caruba highlighted.

According to the Department of State foreign investment $1.5 trillion on a historical cost basis or, as of 2006, $2.7 trillion at market value of publicly traded firms. They hate us but they keep investing here.

That {unattributed} reference is from Caruba's Op-Ed as well. Do you have reference to the primary data? Suspect values have a high probability of being accurate -- sound reasonable -- what's the context, however. What's the comparative investment in China over the same period?

In the globalized business world, the US is a relatively saturated market; US remains the single largest market (Fine by me!) New profits are in emerging markets.

So it's only the US that doesn't adhere to this doctrine?

[Tosses up 'Strawman' flag]

Of course not.
But is that the basis on which you want America to construct foreign policy?
America should be the example & be the highest standard, as President Reagan spoke.
Set the bar; don't lower it.
I don't apologize for having high standards.

Or conversely, because another behaves badly that does not legitimize some other behaving badly.

Necessary...perhaps.

No. This has been so frequently debunked. Torture does not lead to actionable intelligence.

VR/Marg

Tibetan Buddhist saying

I hate radical islam.

On that I concur.
Radical Islamists/members of the global salafists 'hate' me a lot more: independent, educated, feisty female!

VR/Marg

Tibetan Buddhist saying

Reza Aslan (author)

”A few years ago, I was strolling through the Iranian city of Isfahan when I happened upon a group of teenagers sharing a picnic along the banks of the Zayandeh River. Catching my accented Persian, one of them asked where I lived. “I live in America,” I replied.

“The conversation suddenly came to a halt. A girl of 17 leaned in and whispered conspiratorially, ‘What is it like to live in a theocratic state?’

wow. sad, and telling.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I'm not disagreeing that the world view of the US has declined. I know it has. I'm saying I don't think it's a big a problem as some do, and I really don't give a rat's ass about what other countries think of us. If they really don't like us they should decline our aid. I don't see any of them saying "no, we don't like you. Take your financial aid and stick it up your ass."

Destinations by Roxanne

Reza Aslan (author)

wow. sad, and telling.

Too funny! We're now concerned with how Iranians "feel" about us. HAHA :o

Destinations by Roxanne

I hate radical islam.

On that I concur.
Radical Islamists/members of the global salafists 'hate' me a lot more: independent, educated, feisty female!

VR/Marg

Oh it's worse than that. You wouldn't be who you are if they had their say.

Edited to add: No. This has been so frequently debunked. Torture does not lead to actionable intelligence I have to disagree here. We wouldn't be discussing it's use of it wasn't somewhat actionable.

Destinations by Roxanne

Edited to add: No. This has been so frequently debunked. Torture does not lead to actionable intelligence I have to disagree here. We wouldn't be discussing it's use of it wasn't somewhat actionable.

Are you ok with US soldiers being tortured? Do you approve of torture as a tool for information that is ok to be used by both sides?

Or do you just believe as long as we are doing it it’s ok, but if any one else does it to us they are evil?
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Excellent post. I too doubt we would ever admit that as a nation we make mistakes, huge mistakes sometimes. It would take a real leader and I don't see one in either party.

On May 16, 1997, the surviving participants of the Tuskegee Syphilis Study and the members of the Tuskegee Syphilis Study Legacy Committee gathered at the White House and witnessed the President's apology on behalf of the United States goverment. http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/library/wdc-lib/historical/medical_history/bad_blood/apology.cfm

To acknowledge the 100th anniversary of the January 17, 1893 overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii, and to offer an apology to Native Hawaiians on behalf of the United States for the overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii. http://www.hawaii-nation.org/publawsum.html

“The United States of America apologizes to Mr. Brandon Mayfield and his family for the suffering caused” by his mistaken arrest, the government’s apology began. It added that the Federal Bureau of Investigation, which erroneously linked him to the Madrid bombs through a fingerprinting mistake, had taken steps “to ensure that what happened to Mr. Mayfield and the Mayfield family does not happen again.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/30/us/30settle.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Destinations by Roxanne

Are you ok with US soldiers being tortured? Do you approve of torture as a tool for information that is ok to be used by both sides?

Or do you just believe as long as we are doing it it’s ok, but if any one else does it to us they are evil?

I'm not OK with it. I'm also not OK with world hunger, oppressive dictatorships, and the designated hitter rule. Because I'm not OK with any of it doesn't mean it's not going to occur. It's an ugly world out there kids...better run for cover.

Destinations by Roxanne