skydivingbob

Serves the stupid fuckers right.

this one may never get fully disclosed.

I'm sure it will, but not for a long while. That's exactly what I said when we first heard the news. It's sad, but no use in getting your panties in a twist over it just yet as we only have small bits of information at the moment.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

to know why animals like tigers are so scary.

ages ago i was fortunate enough to see a litter of recently born Bengals at the zoo a good friend was working at.. we were actually allowed into the 'den' area (still quite separated from mama and cubs)

we were only inside the scarcely lit room for maybe 4 min tops and 'mama' apparently didnt like one of us.. she let out a long low growl in the sub base range that sent the monkey inside my head scampering for the trees as i suddenly started to sweat. It was obvious it affected all of us (including the girl that worked there) immediately... It is the only time i can recall actually seeing the hair on the back of anyone's neck stand up, and its the only time i've ever been terrified by a sound...

"well visit time is over" and we quickly exited after being quietly warned "dont run" :o

actually he did.. actions have consequences, something that has been greatly lost by people who view predatory animals as 'pets' and entertainment.

Do you behave around animals in the zoo the same as you would if they (and you) were in the wild??? I doubt it. If you don't, if you stand at the rail and gawk at them, are you showing them inadequate respect? Do all zoo-goers who gawk at animals deserve to be eaten for going to the zoo? Or for just not expecting to be their lunch.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Do all zoo-goers who gawk at animals deserve to be eaten for going to the zoo?

linz

No. Just the idiots who taunt and tease the animals.

I don't know. I think gawking at 'em through bars is kinda rude too. You think the tiger believes that the boy sticking his foot through is in need of eating more than the rest of the people standing around pointing at him?

Either way, when people visit the zoo, they usually expect that the enclosures meet a certain standard. All the people walking around would, otherwise, be food for the critters. I'm sure there are folks who believe all people going to the zoo deserve to die. I mean, to disrespect an animal by paying for its captivity.... :S:S

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

linz

I don't know. I think gawking at 'em through bars is kinda rude too. You think the tiger believes that the boy sticking his foot through is in need of eating more than the rest of the people standing around pointing at him?

Either way, when people visit the zoo, they usually expect that the enclosures meet a certain standard. All the people walking around would, otherwise, be food for the critters. I'm sure there are folks who believe all people going to the zoo deserve to die. I mean, to disrespect an animal by paying for its captivity.... :S:S

linz

Didnt understand your original point. I see now what you are saying....

linz

So do you believe that Klebold and Harris were justified in their actions at Columbine? After all, they were relentlessly teased and taunted too.

In any event, IMO the kid didn't deserve to die for it, any more than the zoo keeper who was torn up by this same cat last December "deserved what she got" when feeding the animal through the feeding bars.

You think the tiger believes that the boy sticking his foot through is in need of eating more than the rest of the people standing around pointing at him?

Only if the boy sticking his foot through is wearing socks with his sandals. That totally warrants an eating.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

linz

How the fuck do you tease/taunt an animal anyway?

"Hey tiger tiger.... You're fat and stupid! Your momma was a housecat! Hey tiger tiger!"?????

"Hey tiger tiger...... You don't REALLY have 9 lives, you know?! You are so weak that mere curiosity can kill you!! Ha ha...stupid tiger!"

No matter how much some dork teases a tiger, they don't deserve to be mauled to death. Zoo's must be designed so that the animals can never escape, no matter what. Anyone who says "they deserved it" is a sick fuck.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

You think the tiger believes that the boy sticking his foot through is in need of eating more than the rest of the people standing around pointing at him?

Only if the boy sticking his foot through is wearing socks with his sandals. That totally warrants an eating.

Yeah....well, in that case I think you're right. But those granola heads would prob'ly be far too crunchy for the critter to enjoy. It'd be kind of a waste really.
--

linz

"Hey tiger tiger.... You're fat and stupid! Your momma was a housecat! Hey tiger tiger!"?????

"Hey tiger tiger...... You don't REALLY have 9 lives, you know?! You are so weak that mere curiosity can kill you!! Ha ha...stupid tiger!"

No matter how much some dork teases a tiger, they don't deserve to be mauled to death. Zoo's must be designed so that the animals can never escape, no matter what. Anyone who says "they deserved it" is a sick fuck.

My opinion, they did deserve it.

If one is stupid enough to actually taunt a 300lb killing machine they deserve whatever they get in return. Dont want to be mauled to death? Dont fuck with the tiger. Simple. It's called respect.

You can stand around and look, respectfully, at the tiger. But if ya' *tease* him, he's gonna be pissed....lol. Don't ya' know tigers don't like to be teased???
--

linz

So do you believe that Klebold and Harris were justified in their actions at Columbine? After all, they were relentlessly teased and taunted too.

In any event, IMO the kid didn't deserve to die for it, any more than the zoo keeper who was torn up by this same cat last December "deserved what she got" when feeding the animal through the feeding bars.

Humans and Animals dont have remotely the same level of responsibility, your example is inane. The majority of people who work with large cats accept the inherent risks involved. You wont find them 'taunting' them either.

the adage applies... fuck with a tiger expect to get bitten, mankind has done alot to take the repercussions of being foolish out of the equation, but occasionally a better fool appears...

want to be there will be ALOT less taunting by those who have the privilege to see the last of the great predators AT ALL...

"if nothing else he serves as an example to others"

lets clarify something here: 'deserve' means 'to be worthy of'. Taunting one of the largest land predators in existence 'for kicks' because 'you think' you are safe is both arrogant and foolish. SUre 99.9% of the time you might get away with it (due to no effort of your own, just the simple faith of 'safety') but yes the 1 time it actually bites you (pun intended) your action in that instance were 'worthy' of the outcome you invited.

the only sad thing i see here at all is that an innocent animal had to be killed because of an ignorant asshat.

~humans are animals.
~people that visit a zoo expect a certain amount of protection, even if from themselves and their own actions. Humans have been taunting animals in the zoo for at least a century.
~No person "deserves to die" for doing what is somewhat natural to the child, any more than the tiger should have the opportunity to do what comes naturally to the tiger.

Inane though it may be, the supposition that someone deserves to die because they taunted something else in a controlled environment is more ridiculous.

No matter how it's sliced, the zoo has a responsibility to protect the humans from the animals and protect the animals from the humans. They failed in this case, more than once.
If anyone is "served right," it's the zoo. They're directly responsible for the death of a human being and a beautiful animal, IMO.
Either way, it's a tragedy.

linz

If one is stupid enough to actually taunt a 300lb killing machine they deserve whatever they get in return. Dont want to be mauled to death? Dont fuck with the tiger. Simple. It's called respect.

Uh huh. But you didn't answer my question. Also, they are not even sure that they "teased" the poor tiger. How exactly do you TEASE a tiger? Explain.

I got teased as a child and never killed anyone, and I easily could have. I had training and access to powerful guns.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

~No person "deserves to die" for doing what is somewhat natural to the child

A 3 year old child would not dererve to die, you are correct. A 17 year old who is on the verge of being an adult, has developed enough to make rational decisions, and understands what is right and wrong deserves to suffer any repercussions that are a direct result of their actions. Sadly, in this case it was their death. They however, knew that what they were doing was wrong.

I'm sorry. Caged or not. YOU DONT FUCK WITH A 300LB TIGER. That is just stupid, no matter how you slice it.

~humans are animals.

You and I are not speaking the same language if you think the concept of responsibility applies to any non cognizant (ie non human until we meet another) "animal"

he supposition that someone deserves to die because they taunted something else in a controlled environment is more ridiculous.

there is no such thing as a 'controlled environment' with any wild animal, the only thing Zoos have done in this regard is promote a myth. That myth and this mans actions got him killed.

t's a tragedy

Agreed. One of the defining elements of tragedy is that it is brought on directly by the actions of the protagonist.

I'm thinking, you wouldn't feel the same way if it were your child, brother/sister or a close friend.
Odd, how so many people get enjoyment out of something like this.
I find it to be a sick mind that thinks any person deserves to be chewed upon by a tiger.
I bet you just long for the days of the Roman Coliseum.
Do you also laugh when a jumper slams in (a low turn is not very smart)? How about those who are being killed in Iraq (volunteering to go to war is not very smart)? How about when a child is hit by a car due to running out into the street chasing a ball (not very smart to not stop and look both ways)? I would hope that you don't find enjoyment in those things. Why would you find enjoyment in this case? Taunting an animal is not a smart thing to do and something can surely happen to cause injury or death but, it is sad and not something to find enjoyment in.
You should be ashamed for finding it to be.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

~No person "deserves to die" for doing what is somewhat natural to the child

A 3 year old child would not dererve to die, you are correct. A 17 year old who is on the verge of being an adult, has developed enough to make rational decisions, and understands what is right and wrong deserves to suffer any repercussions that are a direct result of their actions. Sadly, in this case it was their death. They however, knew that what they were doing was wrong.

I'm sorry. Caged or not. YOU DONT FUCK WITH A 300LB TIGER. That is just stupid, no matter how you slice it.

Exactly. And the zoo f***ed with the tiger by not having an enclosure that would protect the tiger from humans, and humans from the tiger.
IMO, it's equally stupid to suggest it's okay for a 3 year old to taunt a tiger but not okay for the 17 y/o to do the same. The tiger likely isn't predisposed towards one or the other other than perhaps seeing one as a meal and the other as a snack.
Either way, NO ONE "deserves to die" for teasing an animal in a zoo. In the wild, you'll get no argument from me at all.