Amazon

CIA coverup... again protecting the guilty from justice.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2007/12/06/cia_destroys_interrogation_tapes/5997/

WASHINGTON, Dec. 6 (UPI) -- The CIA destroyed videotapes in 2005 that showed the U.S. use of harsh interrogation techniques, its director told employees Thursday, various reports said.

CIA Director Michael Hayden also said at the time the leaders of the House and Senate intelligence committees were informed about the existence of the tapes and about the agency's plans to destroy them amid concern that tapes could endanger CIA interrogators, The Washington Post reported Thursday.

Thanks for starting a thread on this. When I was listening to this story on NPR this morning, the part that stood out to me and struck me as odd was the assertion/rationalization that release of the tapes could cause “grave damage” to US security due to potential disclosure of identities of interviewers.

Something that could cause “grave damage” to the US is the definition of Top Secret.
Is General Hayden suggesting that the CIA can’t control material at the Top Secret or higher level? I hope not!

There's no FOIA exemption category for "stuff that embarrasses us." Tapes and transcripts can be redacted from TS to Secret or lower.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

The only damage I could see was it would be damaging to a bunch of asshats careers. >:(>:(

So what do they do.. destroy the evidence.... I have worked as an interrogator.... and physical violence usually ends up geting far less intel that is usable( you tell em what they want to hear to make them stop).

There are other means... that are not considered as torture to get what you want and it is far more valid intel.. and you dont end up with dead interogatees that could provide you with more... albiet less timely information later.

Thanks for starting a thread on this. When I was listening to this story on NPR this morning, the part that stood out to me and struck me as odd was the assertion/rationalization that release of the tapes could cause “grave damage” to US security due to potential disclosure of identities of interviewers.

On Fark this morning: "If only there was some kind of technology that could blur faces..."
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I have worked as an interrogator.... and physical violence usually ends up geting far less intel that is usable( you tell em what they want to hear to make them stop).

:o Was this the original purpose of the Amazon Hug?[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The KEY sentence in the article for those who might ingore/ ah, miss it

"The CIA last week admitted that videotape of an interrogation of one of the waterboarded detainees was destroyed in 2005 against the advice of Justice Department and White House officials, provoking allegations that its actions were illegal and the destruction was a coverup.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/08/AR2007120801664.html?hpid=topnews

And this is from the far right wing compost no less
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Then why not join right up and GO GIT SUM....why buy into the fear... now is your chance to go fight the evil doers... over there so you dont have to git blowd up right there in Alabama.

Or are you just another one of those Young REpublicnas who feel its OTHER peoples duty.. not theirs.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NEKdFdnROhQ

Perhaps you might get to go to some kewl training and try out some water boarding .. yourself, IF you are not following the the footsteps of Cheney... Lush Rimjob... and MOST of this administration....

I didn't say I supported the war in Iraq or Bush for that matter. I do support torture of terrorists under certain situations. I am not a republican, I am literally half liberal democrat and half republican, if you want to know my positions on things them pm me. As for that video I find it rather humorous that you would quote that video as a source. The video maker purposefully sought out the most far right people he could find and then used those answers to push his agenda. I'm not saying anything of his statement rather that it was just funny that someone would quote something that obviously slanted which was made as nothing more than an antagonistic piece to further his own "career".

As for you turning my get "blowd" up comment, which was obviously a joke, into something seemingly insulting by the part of the country I live in, thats just childish. I go to school here, I'm from Atlanta.
"If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way."
- Homer Simpson

I do support torture of terrorists under certain situations.

Great so you think that breaking international lawis ok then....by the way it is against the laws of our land as well.

Who gets to determine who is a terroist... are you comfortable with the government just making that an arbitrary decision??

Go look up a quote from Benjamin Franklin about a people who trade liberty.. for security...

And as far as that video.. I think it shows just EXACTLY what a whole lot of the right wing supporters of this WAR feel about their own service to their country...

Gee I wish I could serve.. but... I got this here boil on my ass that prevents me from joining up:S:S:S

>I do support torture of terrorists under certain situations.

I would have to go with the Constitution of the United States of America. To me, it's important to support it, even if you are very, very scared. There are thousands of US soldiers dying to defend it. The least we could do is respect what they are dying for.