ryoder

Buying a lottery ticket is a probation violation???

I don't think it's a big deal.

You do the crime, you pay the penalty. His particular crime seems to fit the penalty. Purchasing lottery tickets does enable such behavior.

I've known a person to spend thousands of dollars on lottery tickets. Win. Then sell the winning ticket for cash so as not to have to claim the more than $1k winnings on his taxes. Of course, in the end he still looses more than he makes and keeps his family in a life of poverty by doing so. You know, it's addicting. And addiction can lead to other crime.

Addiction is fine if it's not affecting others negatively. This guy robbed a freaking bank. Case closed. No lotto for you!

Edit: And clearly this cat did not read the terms of his probabation which is another problem entirely. But--you know--since he ignored them let's just all feel bad for him?:S

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

http://wbztv.com/topstories/local_story_332071549.html

Just just how many criminals were lured into a life of crime through the purchase of lottery tickets, and why are states encouraging such behavior?:S

When you leave jail on probation or parole, you are agreeing to the terms the court sets for you. This is voluntary. If you don't agree, you are usually welcome to stay in jail for your entire sentence. If someone agrees to a parole where they cannot gamble or buy lottery tickets, then they shouldn't be surprised that that clause is enforced when it is violated.

That said, I think the provision against buying lottery tickets was pretty dumb... it doesn't have much to do with bank robbery.

That said, I think the provision against buying lottery tickets was pretty dumb... it doesn't have much to do with bank robbery.

I disagree--purely from a psychological standpoint.

Having said that, I really couldn't give a shit if that was part of the probation or not.:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

It's a political nightmare if the guy on probation for violent crime becomes a state sanctioned multi-millionaire.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

It's a political nightmare if the guy on probation for violent crime becomes a state sanctioned multi-millionaire.

...And that's the bullseye of the thread.

It seems pretty simple to me...go to jail for probation violation...keep the money. If some dude on probation leaves the state and knocks some chick up, does he lose his parental rights because his probation stated he couldn't leave?

Also, they don't have to violate his probation if they don't want to, I have no problem with that. Maybe some community service...teach him to give before he gets the big bucks.:P

Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

The judges orders at the time were:

Elliott was placed on five years' probation after pleading guilty in October 2006 to unarmed robbery for a January 2006 heist at a bank on Cape Cod. Under terms of his probation, he "may not gamble, purchase lottery tickets or visit an establishment where gaming is conducted, including restaurants where Keno may be played."

It really doesn't matter if you agree, disagree or even understand; he agreed to the terms of the contract. S, how come we get all pissy if someone sues a DZ after signing a waiver (contract), but want to make concessions for this _poor_ man. He robbed banks. He robbed them twice - one as recently as last year. As part of his probation (contract), he agreed to....

End of story.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

It seems pretty simple to me...go to jail for probation violation...keep the money.

But they may not give him a choice. If he gained this money by violating his probation they may be able to deny him the money I suspect.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

The judges orders at the time were:

Elliott was placed on five years' probation after pleading guilty in October 2006 to unarmed robbery for a January 2006 heist at a bank on Cape Cod. Under terms of his probation, he "may not gamble, purchase lottery tickets or visit an establishment where gaming is conducted, including restaurants where Keno may be played."

It really doesn't matter if you agree, disagree or even understand; he agreed to the terms of the contract. S, how come we get all pissy if someone sues a DZ after signing a waiver (contract), but want to make concessions for this _poor_ man. He robbed banks. He robbed them twice - one as recently as last year. As part of his probation, he agreed to....

End of story.

QFT
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.