ACMESkydiver

Why Has This School Not Been Shut Down?! F*cking Sick

I'm checking my MySpace account, and I get the usual 'sponsored links' that all have to do with Autism on my home page.

One has me curious, it advertises itself as a 'School for Autistic Kids'. Drug free behavioral treatment, they say. 'Cool', I'm thinking. I'm always wanting to know where better programs are for our sons.

Here's the link to the Judge Rotenberg Center. Looks pretty legit, right? All about the kids, right?

See what it REALLY is about here: 'School of Shock'. See Judge Rotenberg's lame, ridiculous, WEAK f*cking response to the article right on their home page ('Response to Mother Jones')

How in the HELL can a place continue to operate like this? How the FUCK do people allow this to continue?!

My husband was pissed that I even told him about it. -We'll watch horror movies, but we won't watch the news for the same reason. Real horror f*cking sucks.

Excerpt:

What is aversive therapy using the GED?

JRC's skin-shock therapy (not to be confused with the psychiatric procedure known as electroconvulsive shock therapy or ECT) is a behavior modification procedure in which a mild current from a battery operated device is passed for a two-second period through a small area of the surface of the skin of an arm or leg. The sensation has been compared to a bee sting with no after-sensation. It has no significant negative side effects.

Funny they didn't mention that they also attach electrodes to the stomach, and it is attached 24 hours per day.

To kids MY sons' age!

Lord in Heaven. I'm just sick.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Besides being disgusting, it's so bizare to me that a place like this would exhist.

Trying to look at this with as broad a mind to this as possible, I still can't wrap my mind around it.

First of all, how could anyone think that the way you treat an autistic child would be the same as the way you treat a very emotionally troubled child (not that this is "treatment" anyway)...and the idea that you essentially hold the threat of being tasered 24hrs.a day over them might have an effect on a troubled kid, but not to an autistic one who has diminished mental capacity to start with. It's apples and oranges.

I don't have first-hand experience with either autism or kids that have severe self-destructive tendancies, but I can't imagine in either case that this would be truly effective in curing them - just scares them into temporarily complying - then what?

Like I said, no first hand experience but it seems like a place where people don't want to be bothered doing the hard work required for real change in troubled kids. It sends the message "I don't give a rat's ass about you, just don't make trouble..."

And if I had an autustic child who was so profoundly affected by the disease that they were harmful to themselves and others, I think it would more humane to have them medicated than to subject them to this.
"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson

Maybe you should let someone hook you up to electrodes and zap you a few thousand times a day. You would probably change your fucking tune. If its done to prisoners, it's torture, but if it's done to children it's alright then in your opinion huh?

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Because injuring children is wrong you moron. End.

fuck off twat

they're not injuring them
If a child can not sleep at night because of nightmares and post traumatic stress syndrome... they aren't injured? If that isn't injury then what do you call it? How do you justify that kind of treatment to anyone, child or adult? Explain it logically and say why and even if I don't agree, I'll listen.

And why should I fuck off? I have just as much right to my opinion as you do. Maybe I deserved the insult as I insulted you first and that was wrong of me, however, I have every right to state my opinion. At least I didn't result to vulgarity. :S

what's wrong with it?

The article says that it has no significant negative effects, so what's the problem? Too many bleeding heart liberals around these days... if they're getting results by doing this, then fair play to them

The article doesn't say that, how on earth do you get that the article is saying that?

Even more chilling are some of the comments to the article. most condemn the place, but a few supporters showed up. Take this for example:

"Personal feelings and emotions have no place in the life of an individual who is mentally or physically impaired. "

Oh really? That tells me all i need to know. These are the same type of people who follow eugenics and "modern bioethics". To them, kids like those at this "school" are less than human.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Watch your language. You're speaking to a friend of ours.

Fill out your profile and make any kind of valid point, or get the hell out. And whichever you choose, I strongly advise you to not speak that way to Celt again.

And if I had an autustic child who was so profoundly affected by the disease that they were harmful to themselves and others, I think it would more humane to have them medicated than to subject them to this.

I do, I agree, and they are.

Do I want to keep them on a med? Of course not. Are they zombied out? No way. We are very careful; the school and I BOTH keep a daily behavior log to see if they are having any problems with either the med or their mind turning on them -panic attacks. Would I EVER, EVER consider electrocuting them to punish them for their frustration? NO - WAY -IN - HADES.

If a mother did this to her kid CPS would take them away for child abuse. How is this allowed to continue? I just don't understand.

My sons ARE low-functioning. Sometimes self-injurious. Sometimes aggressive. (They have never used any object to hurt anyone...so I guess their stabbing children are worse :S). -but my GOD take them from me if I ever decide that shocking them would be a good alternative.

God I just cried looking at my son after reading about this sick, sick school...we have to resort to some crazy things sometimes (throw them in a trampoline with a net around it when they tantrum -our own 'rubber room' :S). They wear harnesses on the school bus so they'll stay in their seats (they will try to get OUT of the moving bus when upset or really happy/excited. They just don't know how to keep a heightened emotion from becoming out of control)

-but I just can't fathom anyone trying to taser my boys as a punishment for their neurological disorder.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

-but I just can't fathom anyone trying to taser my boys as a punishment for their neurological disorder.

I can't understand that either. Has a TV news team done a story on this school? If not, it's time to raise the public's awareness.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

>"Personal feelings and emotions have no place in the life of an
>individual who is mentally or physically impaired. "

Phrased poorly. It would be more accurate to say "personal feelings and emotions should not stand in the way of treating an individual who is mentally or physically impaired." To use a simple example, it can be hard to watch a doctor jab a needle in your child's arm - but your emotional distress should not prevent the child from getting vaccinated.

>To them, kids like those at this "school" are less than human.

They are 100% human, but also not like other children - and treating them just like other children is a mistake. They have specific and unique needs. That doesn't make them less than human, just different.

Does this mean that we're on the way back to people being able to discipline their unruly kids without being hauled off to jail for child abuse?

OR, that this place is exempt from society's norm?? How can they get away with this?? One extreme or the other...this is messed up!!
I don't want to make all the decisions because if I screw up, then I can't blame it on you...

Does this mean that we're on the way back to people being able to discipline their unruly kids without being hauled off to jail for child abuse?

I believe it's still legal for people to spank their kids, which is no less painful than a mild electric shock.

I didn't read much from the links, but I've heard of this place before. I thought that the shocks were used on children with behavioral problems rather than those with autism(???), and it sounds like they have to have the parents' permission to use such measures.

I don't know enough about autism to comment on that aspect of their treatment program, but it seems that they have had success with some behavioral problems that didn't respond to other types of treatment.