billvon

Northwest passage is open!

And you can now ship stuff by sea by going across the top of the globe, instead of going through Panama. Countries are already scrambling to claim mineral rights in the newly open waters of the North Pole.

========================
Outside Magazine
September 14, 2007
Northwest Passage Open

It's a picture to make Sir Francis Drake and Captain James Cook melt. A satellite shot of the Arctic showing an ice-free passage from the Beaufort Sea near Alaska to North of Baffin Island.

The Northwest Passage is open, thanks to record shrinkage of the polar ice cap. Since satellite measurements of ice were taken almost 30 years ago, the ice covers it's smallest area in recorded history, only 1,160,000 square miles. After average ice loss of about 39,000 square miles in the last 10 years, this year is a whopper. Roughly 390,000 square miles of ice were lost, a tenfold increase.

If this shrinkage continues, courtesy of climate change, the deep waters to the north of the United States and Canada will provide a nice short route for large ocean tankers to travel. Probably not the best news for Panama, which is spending billions of dollars to widen and deepen its famous canal for those same ships.
=============================

>Which shipping companies are doing this, now?

None. You CAN do it. Doesn't mean anyone IS doing it - yet.

I "can now ship stuff by sea by going across the top of the globe"?

Since no one is doing it, how can I do it?

Just because something might be navigable in a small craft, that doesn't automatically make it a shipping lane. :P

>Which shipping companies are doing this, now?

None. You CAN do it. Doesn't mean anyone IS doing it - yet.

I "can now ship stuff by sea by going across the top of the globe"?

Just because something might be navigable in a small craft, that doesn't automatically make it a shipping lane. :P

Of course YOU can do it. Just buy a ship.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It's a picture to make Sir Francis Drake and Captain James Cook melt. A satellite shot of the Arctic showing an ice-free passage from the Beaufort Sea near Alaska to North of Baffin Island.

What about poor old Franklin and his crew?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

think of all the natural resources that will be saved taking this much shorter route from Asia to Europe. The reduced carbon will rebalance and the passage will promptly refreeze.

First thing that comes to my mind on this is the Titanic, a ship dwarfed by the super tankers of today.

>The reduced carbon will rebalance and the passage will promptly refreeze.

Perhaps! And if it refreezes so rapidly that oil tankers (and their carbon-laden cargoes) are trapped therein, perhaps the sudden CO2 deficit will propel the world into a new ice age. When the ice recedes, of course, we will see the emergence of the Planet of the Apes, as the latest biblical-code prediction foretells.

>but is the melting not a much bigger point then the size of ship you can sail threw it?

Indeed. We lost over a million square KM of ice this year; average is around 100,000 square kilometers. The now-open northwest passage is just one (minor) effect of the melt. But it's still pretty interesting; a new shipping lane!

Such a sentiment brings to mind the adage "Lead, follow, or get out of the way." I just got done beating on an empty water bottle with two chopsticks. I don't know if anyone else in the world was doing that, and I don't care. :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Hooray for global warming!

I live on the very northern fringe of the North American agriculture belt. I figure I can make a bundle as we expand with the new climate. My big conundrum is this: Should we maximize short term income by pulping as we deforest the north or maximize greenhouse gases by burning it all?

>My big conundrum is this: Should we maximize short term income
>by pulping as we deforest the north or maximize greenhouse gases by
>burning it all?

Why not do both? Deforest everything, make a ton of money, start doing coke (or meth, or some other hip drug) while the money lasts. Then when the forests run out you won't care!