leslie1618

anyone in the military???

If anyone is in the military, I could use a little feedback. I'm considering joining the Air Force, but I won't take that step if it means sacrificing my ability to skydive. I have a sister in the navy, so I'm aware of the commitment that's required when joining. I have plenty of reasons to join and one major reason not to. The fact is, I love to jump. It's made me happier than I've been in years. I wouldn't want to lose it for anything. The military isn't a long term goal for me- I just feel like it would be a step in the right direction at this point in my life. I'm hoping that it's possible to have both, but I really won't know until I speak to somebody who's done both. I'd appreciate any helpful advice!!
I tried to get a grip on reality, but it moved.

would have gotten more responses in the Bonfire, However unless something has changed the only time you will be 'restricted' from skydiving in any military service is while in a formal training course (or Deployed ofc)

I'm not in, but my oldest is USAF active and working on his A out at Skydive Ogden, and my youngest is a USAF 2nd Lt and is working in his B. A lot depends on what specialty you're in and what your daily routine requires. Upshot is, it probably won't preclude you jumping.

From what they've both said, you'd probably have to attend a mandatory briefing on the hazards of the activity before participating. That goes for rock climbing, snow mobiling, downhill skiing, etc.

There is no outward ban on such behavior in the military, but you might keep it on the down-low anyway. I'm a First Lieutenant in the Army and have been skydiving for 16 years.

Back when I was in Special Operations (as a Marine NCO) that sort of thing was encouraged in your spare time. I have a certain superior right now, however, who has a frothing-at-the-mouth prejudice against skydiving/BASE jumping - and anyone who does it. He has even spoken out against it as reckless at a public ceremony (it was directed at me).

We've lost 4 soldiers this year to motorcycle accidents...I haven't had more than a sprained ankle in 16 years...but I'm the reckless one apparently. It's cost me at least one assignment.

Just be careful who you let know you skydive.
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

Hi, I'm in the USAF and have been through this.

In all likelihood, you'll be able to skydive. However, you must go through a 'safety briefing for high risk sports (pretty easy to do) and you must let your commander know that you are jumping.

Unfortunately, your commander CAN prevent you from jumping, but it's unlikely (I've never actually seen it done, but I know it's within the commanders' power)

You MUST inform your commander---if you don't and you injur yourself, you can be held liable for all medical costs to fix you up; or, if you burn in, your family won't get all that good life insurance money.

Finally, it is the military---you could get sent to any number of undesirable locations where you might not have space for your rig, what with all that body armor and helmets such.

if you burn in, your family won't get all that good life insurance money.

Not true. There is no selective high-risk activity clause in SGLI. Whether you tell the boss or not.

And the class must be an Air Force thing. The Army or Marine Corps have no such requirement at the branch level. That may change at the level of various commands however.
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

i'm in the USMC (2nd LT) and just let my chain of command know that i skydive, and if they have a problem with it i polietly explain to them what skydiving entails (as most whuffos dont really know much about it). I haven't had a problem with any of them yet. Most i have had to do was right an ORM (opperational risk managment) letter letting them know i am taking the appropriate steps to reduce the risks involved (i.e. having an AAD, wearing a helmet w/audible alt. and having a wrist mount alt. etc.)

Been in the Army 21 years and jumping for 19.

1) Your biggest obstacle to jumping will be sometimes being stationed someplace with no dropzone nearby. The year I was in Korea, it was pretty bleak. Deployments to assorted unpleasant places for wars and such don't provide much in the way of jumping opportunities either. You can also get lucky, however, like I am now and be only an hour and 15 min from a thriving turbine DZ.

2) Skydiving is not illegal. Your commander cannot stop you from jumping any more than he could order you not to go golfing. There is a VERY prominent currently serving 4-star who I am told tried to put out an edict as a brigade commander that none of his officers would ride motor cycles. The IG told him the order would not fly and was in fact not enforceable. (Interestingly enough, this commander was also a skydiver). That said, there are times when you are attending certain training courses that the military will tell you not to engage in certain high risk activities so as to protect their investment. They can't put you in jail, but they could drop you from the course.

3) Any skydiving injuries are considered "in line of duty" just like any other sports injuries. Saying that they would not be is an old rumor I have never seen proven. I did an official investigation of a military demo team accident once and got very familiar with all of the regs.

4) A large percentage of skydivers are current or former military. You are liable to find lots of like minded folks in this area.

CDR

Air Force SSGT and been in for 8 years.
During your intital training you wont have an opportunity to jump until you settle at you first duty station.Like most people say, you really dont know where you will be for sure. If your lucky, hopefully within a few hours drive to a DZ.
Even in the operational AF it is sometimes a pain in the ass to convince commanders/supervisors to do such a high risk activity that they know nothing of.Oh yeah... the ORM breifings will be flowing like a river! But it is required to CYA... just in case.
Lastly, the deployments could cause currency issues and depending how often you deploy, progress could be slow. (like me)

Every now and then I travel to NC to lift the Golden Nights and freefall students and watch them tailgate off our C-130. Damn I am so jealous!

Sorry a bit off topic, but...

SGLI could burn you in the "Line of Duty" determination. This may be USAF specific, but when the line of duty determination is done, they will determine whether or not the AF Member exercised due care.

If you hadn't received your safety brief the line of duty determination could come back not in your favor and then SGLI isn't obliged to pay.

Line of Duty determinations are nasty business and people do get burned by them....

I think you have some good input for your decision: Don't join the Air Force! They seem like a real tight-assed bunch when it comes to rules!

Remember: The Army invented the idea jumping out of a plane because you wanted to voluntarily jump out. The Air Force only sees it as a way of leaving a plane that is going to crash.

CDR

I guess it depends on what you want the military for. most want to get out of town, get some money for education, etc. I was looking into active duty but they did not have a job i wanted that would benefit me on the outside. i looked into a reserve unit out in CA. i landed a job doing respiratory therapy. paid to goto school. paid very well on the outside. and all i owe is 6 years active reserve time. I also get TA but not nearly as good as the active duty GI bill which im sure you already know about. all these people have already told you about what could happen eg; not close to a dropzone or being deployed. if you do go in. dont expect to jump until you're out of tech school. mine was like 2 years long. your not supposed to do high risk activities but dont ask dont tell. If i didnt join i wouldnt have the fundage to be doing what im doing now. good luck:)
Live Love Learn FLY

I'm not in the AF, but i dont think the "dont ask dont tell" rule would be a good decision...if you at least let the higher ups know what you are doing, they will have a lil more sympathy for you if you do get hurt doing a jump. If you ORM it, there shouldn't be a reason that they wouldn't let you not jump...as i'm in schooling and they let me jump, mainly because i ORM'd it and showed them that i was taking every effort to make it as save as possible.