billvon

Religious tolerance

Even if he was an honest, stand up guy, I wouldn't vote for him. The idea of having Gordon B. Hinckley as the president of the USA scares the shit out of me. You can't compare Kennedy/the Pope with Romney/Gordon B. Hinckley. Kennedy never had to swear allegience and obedience to the Pope, but Romney had to swear and continue to swear allegience and obedience to the prophet of the LDS faith. He's a Mormon, and by that very definition alone, he should not be electable, and by recent polls, apparently most of America agrees with that. Mormons are one step away from being conservative Muslims.

You sir, are a bigot.

Wow... A personal attack, one I'm sure that will be allowed to stand.

I don't consider myself a bigot. I tolerate Mormon philosophies every day. I think they're ridiculous, but I tolerate them (Look up the definition of "bigot").
I live in an all-Mormon community, and have done so for all of my life, have many family members that are Mormon, and have watched the destruction the LDS lifestyle has brought to my culture.
All but one of my employees are Mormon.
Every day I'm involved in the struggle to reduce teen suicide amongst disavowed Mormons. The Utah/Idaho/Arizona corridor (predominantly LDS) has the highest teen male suicide ratio in the USA, and one of the highest in the top 5 geographic regions of the world. If I'm a bigot for disliking the impact I've experienced, call me a bigot.
If you don't think religious affiliations should be a consideration of who governs your country...wow.:S

[edited for grammar/spelling]

I live in an all-Mormon community, and have done so for all of my life,

Good Lord man, . . . why?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I live in an all-Mormon community, and have done so for all of my life,

Good Lord man, . . . why?

Friends, family (my mom) and my culture. I like being here. I've learned to tolerate their culture even as they try pretty hard to destroy mine.
The latest laugh is the Mormon "permission" for tobacco to be used in Native American "recreation of traditional ceremonies"....so long as "tobacco smoke is not drawn into the mouth..."' and it can't be an actual ceremony, just a recreation of one for purposes of "remembering cultural activities."
In spite of this sort of silliness, it's a pretty nice place to live.

then you don't really know Mitt.

I think I know Mitt pretty well, however like most of us he has folks who like him and folks who don't. I can't say I agree with every stance he has taken and in some cases I completely disagree. However, that doesn't change the fact that in my experience with Mitt he has proven himself to be an honest, stand-up guy. You have apparently had a different experience, I can't really comment intelligently about that as I am unfamiliar with the incidents you refer to. I believe Mitt will win the GOP nomination and Hillary has a real good shot at taking the Democrat nomination and to me, in my admittedly biased opinion, that would be an easy choice. It sounds as though it will be an easy choice for you as well...

I hope you don't really believe this:

He's a Mormon, and by that very definition alone, he should not be electable, and by recent polls, apparently most of America agrees with that.

Do you really believe someone's religion should make them not electable?

then you don't really know Mitt.

It sounds as though it will be an easy choice for you as well...

I wish it were. We have a bunch of losers in the game on both sides. No, it won't be easy. I just know I won't vote for Romney.

I hope you don't really believe this:

He's a Mormon, and by that very definition alone, he should not be electable, and by recent polls, apparently most of America agrees with that.

If their religion subjugates them to a higher authority (in Mormonism it's their prophet) then yes..I do feel religion should be a consideration.
I've watched bills come to the Senate floor that were shoo-ins, only to be shot down at the last moment because the mormon prophet waved his hand against it. I've watched any number of business deals that were nearly complete go to hell because the Mormon leadership stepped in at the last moment. Remember the MX missile system? That was actually started, and then Mormon leadership decided they didn't want it after all. It was stopped in the early stages of the project. Remember ERA? The LDS church single-handedly killed that one. The LDS faith is very politically involved. Weekly, Romney takes an oath to be subject to his prophet. Mormonism isn't a mainstream, rational religion such as the general sphere of Christianity. It's cultic and in many ways backwards. It is intolerant, although their current president recently announced "We need to become tolerant of non-LDS people." Wow...Glad to know they need to tolerate us. Yet I'm the one accused of being a bigot. (I prophesied that PA would stand; it did) Funny how that works.
Yes, I think a person's religion should be a consideration. After all, Bush's religion was a consideration as well. He capitalized on it, heavily. i think we all understand what that has brought us.

Would America elect a Muslim that ascribed to radical or extreme fundamentalist views?

Good example here:
--------------------------
Alan Cooperman
Washington Post
Posted June 1 2007, 10:44 AM EDT

WASHINGTON _ Florida evangelist Bill Keller says he was making a spiritual -- not political -- statement when he warned the 2.4 million subscribers to his Internet prayer ministry that ``if you vote for Mitt Romney, you are voting for Satan!''

Has the IRS investigated this joker's tax exempt status yet ? Why, they haven't ? Even though they revoked the tax exempt status of an Episcopal church in Pasadena for a sermon that imagined God refereeing a debate between Bush and John Kerry the Sunday before the 2004 election ??

I am shocked, shocked I say, and dismayed.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

-----------------------------------------------------------

If their religion subjugates them to a higher authority (in Mormonism it's their prophet) then yes..I do feel religion should be a consideration.

1960 ... shouldn't vote a Catholic as President, they'll just do what the Pope wants....:S

Same song, different verse.;)

steveOrino

I think he is actually a lying snake in the grass... who is using his religion to do as HE wishes.. that is how he used all the ones who WANT SO HARD to believe that he was a moral born again Christian.

I remember watching his actions at the National Prayer Service at the National Cathedral after the Inaguration.... that right there told me all I needed to know about Bush and Cheneys supposed piety.

While the rest of the congregation was lifting up their voices to the Lord.... they were laughing and joking around with each other instead of lifting up their voices with those who actually do belive in Christ.

Face it.. he scammed a lot of people into voting for him based on his born again status...he took our nation to war based on GREED and told you and the rest of us it was GODS WILL.

We were discussing Romney.

Yea, there's something slightly contradictory about saying someone is a lying snake while simultaneously claiming they're so pious that they'd implement some troubling version of God's will.

Gee so you are good with MORE OF THE SAME we have had for 8 years..

We were discussing Romney.

Yea, there's something slightly contradictory about saying someone is a lying snake while simultaneously claiming they're so pious that they'd implement some troubling version of God's will.

Gee so you are good with MORE OF THE SAME we have had for 8 years..

That depends what you mean, but if you actually look at what I wrote, all I was saying is I just don't see how any poster can expect to have it both ways.

You cannot credibly level both accusations simultaneously.

''If the former Massachusetts governor wins the GOP nomination and the presidency, Keller's message added, it will "ultimately lead millions of souls to the eternal flames of hell.''

Since everyone knows that people of other religious faiths are minions of Satan, it is great that someone is finally saying it openly and with conviction.

More religious people did this, perhaps something on the order of the Spanish Inquisition could be resurrected. That's what we need to get some good answers about this religious text stuff.
;)