watchdog2

Bases on the moon?

Clinton or Bush may not have held a press conference and said "space is rightfully ours!" . . .

Ineffective backpedal -- your previous post implied exactly that.

In the mind of US policy space is rightfully theirs because the alternative is sharing it with China or Russia.

I will backpedal to the extent ""said" it is rightfully ours" should probably be ""has the attitude" it is rightfully ours"

* "Control of space means control of the world." —Vice President Lyndon Johnson, 1961
* "It's politically sensitive, but it's going to happen. Some people don't want to hear this, and it sure isn't in vogue, but — absolutely — we’re going to fight in space. We're going to fight from space and we're going to fight into space. That’s why the US has development programs in directed energy and hit-to-kill mechanisms. We will engage terrestrial targets someday — ships, airplanes, land targets — from space." - Commander-in-Chief of US Space Command (1994-1996), Joseph W. Ashy

Those are just two off unreliable wiki. It has been said over and over and the attitude is clear and represented in both words and deeds.

Clinton or Bush may not have held a press conference and said "space is rightfully ours!" . . .

Ineffective backpedal -- your previous post implied exactly that.

In the mind of US policy space is rightfully theirs because the alternative is sharing it with China or Russia.

Presently, we share it with over 50 other countries. Or do orbiting satellites/payloads not count? Russia has more orbitting payloads than the US. Do they pay our goverment for the use of "our" territory?

Well, nclimber beat me to it -- we are in fact sharing space and space technologies with many countries. This is the business I am in and see it every day.

But that doesn't negate your point if it is the notion that we are also trying to gain military control of space. Other countries are doing the same, so it a race. SOMEone will dominate space someday -- might as well be .

. . =(_8^(1)

Hmmmmmmmmmm....

The US might be wanting to beat the Chinese to THIS STUFF>;) Helium-3 (He-3) is an isotope of Helium with two protons and one neutron, which is rare on Earth; it is sought after for use in nuclear fusion research. More abundant helium-3 is thought to exist on the Moon (embedded in the upper layer of regolith by the solar wind over billions of years) and the solar system's gas giants (left over from the original solar nebula), although still in low quantities (28 ppm of lunar regolith is helium-4 and 0.01 ppm is helium-3).[1] It is proposed to be used as a second-generation fusion power source

isn't Google great!

Actually, it'll be a secret Al Qaeda base.....those sneaky bastards!Actually I read an article about it awhile back and couldn't find it so that's how I knew where to look on google.:P Google is great. If you don't mind them wanting to know everything about you.>http://www.ft.com/cms/s/c3e49548-088e-11dc-b11e-000b5df10621.htmlBump. Interesting story today about the Chinese>http://www.iht.com/bin/print.php?id=5843980 "The more grandiose Chinese space goals, which include building a Mars probe and, eventually, putting an astronaut on the Moon, are based on a blueprint in which space exploration enhances national prestige and advances technological development. But Beijing also is focused on competing in the lucrative $100 billion commercial satellite industry." >And they already proved they can shoot a satellite down. Look out USA. Better make more weapons[:/]
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Interesting story today about the Chinese: http://www.iht.com/bin/print.php?id=5843980

"The more grandiose Chinese space goals, which include building a Mars probe and, eventually, putting an astronaut on the Moon, are based on a blueprint in which space exploration enhances national prestige and advances technological development. But Beijing also is focused on competing in the lucrative $100 billion commercial satellite industry."

And they already proved they can shoot a satellite down. Look out USA. Better make more weapons[:/]

The commercial satellite industry is something I certainly expect other countries to get more involved in. To be honest, though, that market isn't all that interesting to me. It's kinda like the industry equivalent of designing family sedans. :P

I much more fancy the idea of working on what I'll refer to as "weird shit." You know... observatories, probes, science missions, and who knows, maybe even manned interplanetary missions. The US probably does some of the most outlandish "weird shit" but ESA, JAXA, et al. certainly get involved as well.

I think a manned race to Mars with a country like China would be incredibly cool. Doubly so if I got to be a part of it. :)

If you were a part of a trip to mars, you'd request a pass over the LZ to bail out first, THEN let everyone else land on the damn planet!

Well let's be honest... wouldn't we all?

But I was, as I'm guessing you knew, not suggesting that I personally go to Mars, but rather that I'd like to some day have a hand in sending people to Mars. Sure, they'll get all the publicity while I get a little plaque or a desk figurine or commemorative coin or something, but publicity is over-rated anyway.