jgoose71

Illegal solution

If you know of any board rooms in the fortune 500 companies that hold meetings in spanish, I will take it back.

:S

1.- PEMEX (Mexican Petroleum Company)
2.- CFE (Federal Power Commission)
3.- America Telecom
4.- Carso Global
5.- CEMEX (Mexican Cement Company)

There.

And here's the link http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/global500/2006/countries/M.html

If you know of any board rooms in the fortune 500 companies that hold meetings in spanish, I will take it back.

3.- America Telecom
4.- Carso Global

There.

And here's the link http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/global500/2006/countries/M.html

Fortune Global 500 is a different group than the Fortune 500.

3.- America Telecom
4.- Carso Global

There.

Fortune Global 500 is a different group than the Fortune 500.

True, but he did begin the paragraph with "Basically, english is the language of money." not differentiating between the U.S. and the rest of the globe.

>Fortune Global 500 is a different group than the Fortune 500.

Fortune 500 is a list of specifically american companies. Fortune global 500 is a list of the top 500 corporations worldwide as measured by revenue. If you are talking about which companies are the biggest successes, then the Global 500 is your list - and it includes quite a few spanish-speaking companies.

If you just want to prove that "english speakers rule" then the fortune 500 would be a better list to use. Heck, just do a poll in Madison, Wisconsin about which language people speak, and I'll bet they say english. That would prove . . . something.

I got 3 big problems with illegals..

2) They don't speak english

Why shouldn't YOU speak Navajo? They were here before the English speaking immigrants.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

OK I have a tweak on this original proposal

Since just about all the evidence there is shows that immigrants at or above high school educational attainment are net contributers contributors to our economy, this should take care of the net welfare drain effect that so many people are afraid of.

* require all adult work visa and naturalization applicants to complete a GED or comparable exam (for a marginal fee), or carry a diploma from an accredited high school
* give visas & naturalizations out freely to applicants who can pass the exam
* put high schools at major border crossings
* allow future immigrants to enroll at the border crossing high schools at face value / 100% of the cost averaged per pupil
* build tent communities around the border crossings to accommodate illegals already in the country, so they can take the exams and / or obtain schooling without fear of harassment from various LEO types. Just basic amenities like food, water, shelter, and study space.
* allow & encourage the retail banking industry to provide loans to encamped illegals who can't afford to complete their GEDs on their own

Basically let the private sector take care of the costs of bringing immigrants up to self-sufficiency, and providing a legal framework where it can happen. Make the loans stick through bankruptcy, like our current college loan system, and leave it up to the private sector to collect.

The initial penalty on the labor sector shouldn't be too bad, because something like 50% of illegals already have a high-school level education. These guys would just have to go to the border for a few days to take a GED test or show their diplomas.

And since nearly all US high school curricula involve major doses of the English language and American history, it takes care of the kultur kampf based resistance that so many of us "purebreds" seem to have.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Getting a high school diploma by itself will usually get you nowhere in our economy. Most of these types would be in the unskilled labor category. Our manufacturing economy is behind us and we are speeding away into a service economy. Our trade defecit is huge and growing every year, while our GDP is still rising. It means we are consuming more and producing less. This isn't necesarily a bad thing, it just means we will not be using the same amount of unskilled labor. Even if there is no immigration over the next fifty years, unskilled labor in this country will have a decline in living standards. Skilled trades and professionals won't have a problem, and immigration into these areas will be good for us, but that is already legal. A company can sponsor you if your worth it to them, they just have to flip the bill. I'm thinking the majority of immigrants who cross illegaly are not skilled workers or college grads, this will make it tougher on unskilled labor already here. I don't hate immigrants that's just the way it is.

I got 3 big problems with illegals..

2) They don't speak english

Why shouldn't YOU speak Navajo? They were here before the English speaking immigrants.

...or Pawnee, Comanche, Chippewa, Ojibwa, Cherokee... You think 'our' English is hard to learn!:D

Chuck

...or Pawnee, Comanche, Chippewa, Ojibwa, Cherokee... You think 'our' English is hard to learn!:D

Learning ALL those languages is surely an unreasonable burden. I think a fair compromise is that all north americans should be forced to learn the native language that was most common in the area they live in.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Learning ALL those languages is surely an unreasonable burden. I think a fair compromise is that all north americans should be forced to learn the native language that was most common in the area they live in.

Would the be the language from BEFORE or AFTER they came over the land bridge and settled the continent?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Would the be the language from BEFORE or AFTER they came over the land bridge and settled the continent?

Hmm. I think we're going to have to make some arbitrary ruling on that one.

;)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

A company can sponsor you if your worth it to them.

Exactly. The way I see the problem is very simple: supply and demand. Perhaps if companies and individuals stopped hiring illegal immigrants they would stop crossing illegaly.

Exactly. The way I see the problem is very simple: supply and demand. Perhaps if companies and individuals stopped hiring illegal immigrants they would stop crossing illegaly.

Yes. We just need to give them a real reason to stop (fines) and take away the reason they're doing it (cheap labor).

Exactly. The way I see the problem is very simple: supply and demand. Perhaps if companies and individuals stopped hiring illegal immigrants they would stop crossing illegally.

Yes. We just need to give them a real reason to stop (fines) and take away the reason they're doing it (cheap labor).

The cheap labor will ALWAYS be there. It is standard commercial practice: If you charge $5.00, I will charge $4.99 to get the job. It is not only cheap labor, it is cheap qualified labor.

As long as there are people willing to hire cheap labor (regardless of immigration status), there will be hordes of immigrants (illegal and otherwise) coming to your Country... you have a better economy!

It's like drug smuggling: as long as there are consumers, drug traffickers will find a way to sell their stuff.

Or what do you suggest, eradicating poverty (not going to happen) and illegal substances (slim chance) in the world?

That's what I get for a cheap attempt at humor! How 'bout this... The majority of folks in this country speak English. Hou about, we stick with that. Works for me!

Chuck

Exactly. The way I see the problem is very simple: supply and demand. Perhaps if companies and individuals stopped hiring illegal immigrants they would stop crossing illegally.

The cheap labor will ALWAYS be there. It is standard commercial practice: If you charge $5.00, I will charge $4.99 to get the job. It is not only cheap labor, it is cheap qualified labor.

As long as there are people willing to hire cheap labor (regardless of immigration status), there will be hordes of immigrants (illegal and otherwise) coming to your Country... you have a better economy!

It's like drug smuggling: as long as there are consumers, drug traffickers will find a way to sell their stuff.

Or what do you suggest, eradicating poverty (not going to happen) and illegal substances (slim chance) in the world?

Yes, but if we abolish the economically unsound minimum wage, legal workers can be hired and taxes can be collected, rather than illegal hiring under the table .

Precisely! Can you imagine 'big business' not hiring 'cheap' labor and lose money in the process? To me, it's the end result of plain old greed and they couldn't care less about anyone or anything but themselves.

Chuck