lawrocket

Rated "R" for Smoking

I am not concerned with their safety. What does concern me is my being able to enjoy a meal or a beer with out having to inhale cigarette smoke. I am concerned about my comfort. It makes me uncomfortable to be around cigarette smoke. I don't give a shit if you or anyone else smokes as long as it doesn't affect me directly. If you die of lung cancer from smoke it doesn't bother me at all. That is your choice to smoke. I shouldn't have to put up with your cigarette smoke.

> I just find it depressing that not seeing people smoking on screen
>might, in fact, have an effect on young folks' smoking.

Well, if what people saw on screen did NOT affect their behavior, advertising wouldn't work, right?

Companies pay to have their products used in movies. It's almost subliminal advertising. I think children would respond to it more the adults.

I am not concerned with their safety. What does concern me is my being able to enjoy a meal or a beer with out having to inhale cigarette smoke. I am concerned about my comfort. It makes me uncomfortable to be around cigarette smoke. I don't give a shit if you or anyone else smokes as long as it doesn't affect me directly. If you die of lung cancer from smoke it doesn't bother me at all. That is your choice to smoke. I shouldn't have to put up with your cigarette smoke.

Whaaaa, it makes me uncomfortable! How about flatulence? I'm sure that makes you uncomfortable too, but we're not outlawing beans and hard boiled eggs.

The smoking bans are based on the safety, health, and working conditions for the waitresses/waiters - not the patrons. so it is, in fact, a safety issue.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

Flatulance does not compare to cigarette smoke.

And I thought I had heard it all.....

Come over hear and smell this fart and I bet you $100 you change your mind on that one.

>My parents both smoked a lot when I was a kid. I have asthma today. By the time my second sister was born one had quit and one had cut back. My sister was fine.

My story is the same, Dad smoked. Didn't think it was an issue to do it with car window shut, etc. It wasn't until I was in my late 20's that I realized I had horrible lung capacity and got treatment for it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

After an evening at a bar I can still smell the cigarette smoke in my clothes the next day. Not untill I wash those clothes does the cigarette smoke go away. Farts generally don't last that long.

I think you are wrong in thinking there is no health risks in second hand smoke.

>My parents both smoked a lot when I was a kid. I have asthma today. By the time my second sister was born one had quit and one had cut back. My sister was fine.

My story is the same, Dad smoked. Didn't think it was an issue to do it with car window shut, etc. It wasn't until I was in my late 20's that I realized I had horrible lung capacity and got treatment for it.

You know what I got for Christmas? Oh, it was a banner fucking year at the old Zippo family. I got a carton of cigarettes. The old man grabbed me and said, "Hey, smoke up Johnny." Alright? So go home and cry to your Daddy. Don't cry here, okay?

Whaaaa, it makes me uncomfortable! How about flatulence?

I guess to some people, it's a lot like having a crying baby in the room (it's not my business, it's annoying, but you just have to deal with it). We allow that.

To some of us, it's like having someone in the room follow you around and pissing on your coat every couple of seconds. There's no proof that bathing in another's urine is a health hazard, but some people will get sick from it. We don't allow that.

The truth is likely somewhere in between.

Funny, according to my computer's smellolator, your fart smells like a pile of old shoelaces steeped in salt brine. Could be worse.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You know what I got for Christmas? Oh, it was a banner fucking year at the old Zippo family. I got a carton of cigarettes. The old man grabbed me and said, "Hey, smoke up Johnny." Alright? So go home and cry to your Daddy. Don't cry here, okay?

You're funny. Good luck quitting.

Whaaaa, it makes me uncomfortable! How about flatulence?

I guess to some people, it's a lot like having a crying baby in the room (it's not my business, it's annoying, but you just have to deal with it). We allow that.

To some of us, it's like having someone in the room follow you around and pissing on your coat every couple of seconds. There's no proof that bathing in another's urine is a health hazard, but some people will get sick from it. We don't allow that.

The truth is likely somewhere in between.

Funny, according to my computer's smellolator, your fart smells like a pile of old shoelaces steeped in salt brine. Could be worse.

I don't smoke in bars(I don't go to bars) or anywhere else near non-smokers. I am just sick of the attacks on smokers, and sick of being treated like vermin because of my addiction that started a long time ago, before I was even wise enough to know not to start. I am sick of people who 'smell' cigarette smoke from 100 yards away and act like they will drop dead from it. There are lots of other worse things in the world, but for some reason everyone has carte blanche to attack smokers.

You're funny. Good luck quitting.

Thanks. Can you name the movie?

Breakfast club? I think I saw that when I was like 9.

You got it.

Brian Johnson: Chicks cannot hold their smoke, dat's what it is.

I don't think smokers should get medical health treatment if it's a problem caused by smoking, tough i know, but stuff them !!!

I feel the same way about X users.

I don't think smokers should get medical health treatment if it's a problem caused by smoking, tough i know, but stuff them !!!

I feel the same way about X users.

you've never tried it then ;)

We didn't have X - we had acid. It got the job done, more or less.....

Back on topic, if thats the case (and I have read the MPAA IS going this route), think about the repercussions. ALL movies starring John Wayne will be rerated R. Basically, all movies made prior to the year 1990 will be rerated R. Think I'm bullshitting you? Go look at the rating on Alfred Hitchcocks film Psycho on DVD - YEP. Rerated R when it has been shown completely uncut on television for the last 30 years.
Ratings mean shit basically. Take a look at the "rules" the MPAA applies to determine ratings sometimes - a sex scene can be as graphic as you want for an R as long as there is a cut before there have been more than three consistant pelvic thrusts. 4 Thrusts in a row its automatically NC-17 (Unrated vs R versions of Angel Heart is a good example of this).
And look at the early '70s. Planet of the Apes was (and still IS) rated G - with a good amount of nudity, a good amount of violence (remember when Taylor gets shot in the throat, or the black guy has a lobotomy?), and language ("Get your filthy hands off me you damn dirty ape!" "God damn you! God damn you all to hell!").
Or take The Andromeda Strain (was and still IS rated G) - no language I remember but it has nudity (some boobs and a butt), and a scene where he scientists use a scalpel to cut into a dead guys arm to find out his blood has been turned into powder.
NO WAY either of those films would get anything less than a PG-13 today....Hell, rewatch Jaws, thats a SOLID R rating by todays standards (graphic violence, fairly graphic language, full frontal nudity).
MPAA - what a fucking joke they are >:(

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Back on topic, if thats the case (and I have read the MPAA IS going this route), think about the repercussions. ALL movies starring John Wayne will be rerated R. Basically, all movies made prior to the year 1990 will be rerated R.

Ratings affect the ability to see movies in the theaters not on TV, so I think the effect on older movies will be negligible. The real effect will be to encourage new movies to keep smoking out of them unless they would otherwise be rated R. I don't see anything particularly wrong with that.

How do you feel about medical problems caused by obesity then? Or by skydiving for that matter?

yep, they can get fucked too :)

How do you feel about medical problems caused by obesity then? Or by skydiving for that matter?

yep, they can get fucked too :)

So, according to you, it's okay to deny medical benefits for fat people or skydivers? Or do you just have it in for smokers?

It's just stupid, people smoked and used tobacco long before movies and the media, and they will continue to use it long after this R rating crap is either established or gone away.

Just like violence, tobacco is here to stay no matter what, there was plenty of violence long before movies and video games too.

Besides, America was founded by tobacco farmers, if you don't like tobacco, you're un-american!!!:P

We die only once, but for such a very long time.

I'll believe in ghosts when I catch one in my teeth.