Rookie120

Now they want less kids!

: >Someone needs to get this message to the Muslims.

Actually the Middle East isn't growing fast at all, compared to Africa, India and China.

Didn't China impose a one child per couple limit several years ago? A lot of female babies are killed because it's more important to have a boy.

AIDs pretty well has Africa controlled.

My question for you: how many people do you think the planet should have?

* Exactly the number we have now?
* More than we have now?
* Less than we have now?

What's the number?

How the hell should I know. I'm just a middle class man who works at an airport. How could I come up with those numbers? I know that 1 maybe 2 at the max sounds good for my life when the time finally comes around.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

If someone wants mine they can ask me. But nobody asks around here. They're only output machines.

Well, if you didn't coat your answers in condescending sarcasm, maybe more people would ask your opinion.

Why thank you. That suggestion is as welcome as unsolicited advice always is.

My participation in speaker's corner is already carefully tuned though. I get out of it what I want to get. Thanks anyway.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Having a large family is just plain irresponsible and selfish.

I'd say having more kids than you -- can take care of on your own-- is just plain irresponsible and selfish

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

What's the number?

How the hell should I know. I'm just a middle class man who works at an airport. How could I come up with those numbers?

That's a really good answer. I wasn't expecting someone here to admit to ignorance about the answer to a complex world-shaking question.

Shit. I'm sincerely really impressed.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Actually the Middle East isn't growing fast at all, compared to Africa, India and China.

Inwas reading an article in one of our national newspapers two weekends ago, which stated that 30 million chinese men at a marital age will be unable to find a mate by 2015 in China. Should make for some interesting scenarios.

I'm always confused by Africa in these matters. Many people think that we will have an Aids induced population decline, (25 million infected in sub saharan Africa with aids related mortality at around 3.5 million a year, and infections growing) and others fear a population explosion. Both can't be right.

China had their population under control several years ago and had slipped below a billion last I heard.

India is growing and had exceeded a billion. (again, last I heard)

The US is growing too. You guys are over 300 million now, up from 260 odd some 15 years ago.

t

US growth is nearly entirely due to immigration. Like Europe, it would be close to a zero growth otherwise. Japan actually has been encouraging more babies because they're going to have a worker shortage in a couple decades.

I don't know where Africa will end up. Seems dependent on the path of cost of AIDS drugs as well as any potential vaccines. Include the problems of governments as well.

Environmentally, zero growth or negative growth would be good. Economically, otoh, a very mixed bag. Social Security doesn't work.

Sure glad someone has come to the media with it. It's the best (and only viable) solution yet to 'global warming/ climate change/ irresponisble use of limited resources'. Will it catch on? Maybe not... seems that the majority is very much caught up in the previously mentioned capatilist way in which specific modern societys function. Hopefully the next generations will slowly warm up to the idea before we pass the point of no return, if we have not done so already.

Lastly, if you think that population is not an issue, think about the value of life today... what is a life worth in todays world? A dollar? A reputation? A barrel of oil? A tree? A sheep? A machine? Is it priceless? Or can you remember how many seconds you reflected for the last time you head of a death in the news?

Ever see a picture of Grandma and Grandpa sitting with their ten kids behind them. And then there are six or eight offspring behind them. And then maybe some great grandchildren too in the picture. There are people litterally everywhere in that picture and they are all from the same family, and they are all grinning, (as if they are proud of what great reproducers they are). Many people are beginning to look at a picture like that and ask "why"!

It's about time that people are beginning to wake up to what a huge problem this is.

That brings up the question what can we do, or what should we do about this. Most politicians don't want to touch this issue with a ten-foot pole, because it would be unpopular to even suggest that people start limiting the size of their families.

Then there is a powerful religious perspective that says we need to over-populate the earth. After all it is God's will. And we can solve problems like shrinking natural resources, by just praying. And how do you fight that.

I'd like to think that man is smarter than a common animal that often over-populates it's habitat.

I'm not sure what the answer is. I don't want a government like China's telling me what to do. I'd like to see the government do something though. They are really good at doing too little, too late. Our current illegal immigration problem is a fine example of that.

I know some of these words will ruffle some people's feathers, but I'd like to hear your opinion.....Steve1

...You know there is some kind of whacko out there who advocates a population reduction...

That would be me.
Population Reduction - Because the idiots won't do it for themselves, what we need is a good world war...WWIII would do nicely. The planet can only support so many people (yes, who the hell knows how many) and the quality of life declines with every additional person added to the hoard.

You people who advocate a large family are only speeding up the process and, though you will never admit it, your descendants will be the ones to suffer...much more than we are now. But what the hell do YOU care?

Depending on technology to save our collective asses?
Great, push off the responsibility on technology instead of taking it up yourself.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239